Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
(04-18-2021, 02:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Houshmanzadeh and Tim McGee, two of the best WR's in team history are also saying to draft Sewell over the WR.

Willie Anderson wants Sewell, but he also said 'it's going to be hard to not take Chase' and he would 'understand the decision to pick Chase'. He referred to the decision as the 'chicken or the egg', saying 'the QB could use a new shiny toy, but you better hope you protect him'. 

He's had probably the most reasonable responses I've heard so far, because he can make legitimate arguments for both sides, even though he prefers one over the other.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 02:59 PM)Synric Wrote: There will be options in the 3rd too. Spencer Brown, Walker Little, and James Hudson. Some interesting options in 4 or 5 with D'Ante Smith and Josh Ball.

Walker Little could be the steal of the draft at the top of the 3rd round.

Man, Spencer Brown is one of the most intriguing guys in the draft. With some proper coaching, and some hard work on his part, he has a chance to be something special. D'Ante Smith is another guy who is really intriguing. If he can add some bulk, he could end up being one hellava G in the NFL, and a good fit for the wide zone scheme as well. Another guy who I think would be a pretty good scheme fit, but isn't being talked about much, is Wyatt Davis. The guy is talented as hell, and a tenacious mauler who would add some intensity to this line.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 03:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, Spencer Brown is one of the most intriguing guys in the draft. With some proper coaching, and some hard work on his part, he has a chance to be something special. D'Ante Smith is another guy who is really intriguing. If he can add some bulk, he could end up being one hellava G in the NFL, and a good fit for the wide zone scheme as well. Another guy who I think would be a pretty good scheme fit, but isn't being talked about much, is Wyatt Davis. The guy is talented as hell, and a tenacious mauler who would add some intensity to this line.

In my final mock I went Pitts, Davis, Little, Smith-Marsette. 

Wyatt Davis is a prototype guard prospect with perfect height weight length athleticism. He was a great run blocker and never got beat 1 on 1 in pass protection. Only thing causing him to slide is awareness on stunts where he gave up pressure.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Synric-s-Mock-Me-Final-2021
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 10:48 AM)spazz70 Wrote: No, as far as Munoz you may want to read up in his involvement with Sewell...Munoz runs a camp and Sewell attended his camp coming out of HS and Munoz said that he was the best prospect he ever saw coming out....This is not someone "airing their opinion"....this is the only HOF player in the history of the Bengals, that played the position and has worked with Sewell face to face.  His opinion should mean a ton and his opinion should be taken to heart....this line is atrocious and needs to be improved for years to come....Sewell, if there, should be the only thought.....run to the podium with the card in hand....This is as easy as taking Burrow last year....Paul Brown's first ever pick was an OL....you know why?   Because that is where you build a team.

I thought it was Willie that worked with Sewell coming out of HS? I know he trains linemen (he just worked with Jordan).

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 02:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know that we could get a solid lineman later. Maybe. Thing about that is we've had a much better track record of taking WR's in round 2 than linemen. I also factor in a myriad of other factors.

1. QB/WR tandems like Stafford/Megatron and Ryan/Julio rarely work. It's a ton of money invested in one facet of the offense.

2. If you have an elite QB (which I think Burrow will be), I'd say it's better to spread that money around to blocking/defense. He'll make our WR's look good.

3. If you draft Chase, say goodbye to Higgins in 3 years. We can't pay big bucks to everyone in the pass offense.

4. Yes, we could get a lineman later...but whatever need we address at #5, we're taking a risk with the need we don't address there. There's no guarantee that the linemen we want will be sitting there in the 2nd round. We could also have a gem fall in our laps that isn't a lineman. Would we then pass to stick with the need?

That's why I think you address what is clearly your biggest need first. If we miss on a lineman in this draft, I'd say our 2021 line will be pretty ugly, right? If we miss on a speed WR, it'll suck but won't be the end of the world. I think we can get by on what we have.

For me it's been clear that the best OL at the top of the draft is the way to go.  It makes the statement of, "We have our franchise QB, now it's time to build around him.".  Protecting Joe means more than just holding off edge rushers 50-60 times per game, it's also building a rushing attack so that Joe has confidence that he can also hand the ball off 45-50% of the time, and get positive production as well.

Wouldn't it be nice if 3rd and 2 wasn't automatically a passing situation?  Sure, adding one extremely talented OT isn't going to fix all of what's been wrong with the OL, but a physical, aggressive player like Sewell is a great place to start.  I also see the need to strengthen the interior of the OL, which is why I've been fully on board with the Bengals using their 3rd or even 2nd pick on the best Guard available that fits the outside zone run blocking scheme.  I say 2nd or 3rd pick, because I also feel like the Bengals have a strong need for adding another pass rusher to the DL.

While I do see the point of surrounding your franchise QB with weapons, I also feel like Joe is good enough to elevate the weapons provided to him.  I mean, you don't draft a man who's eventually going to cost you over 20% of your yearly salary cap without having the confidence in him to elevate the players around him.  That is why it is painfully obvious to me that if you want to see this team start winning, you must build through the trenches, and give your franchise QB a fighting chance.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 02:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: I like Collins, but he needs a ton of development.  Kid's a terrible route runner.  The only times he actually seems to get open are busted coverages or when he can just run right by the DB.  There's no way I take him at 38 because he's just not going to be ready to contribute significantly as a rookie.  

Dude's 3-cone is amazing for such a big WR. He definitely has the change of direction speed to run the entire route tree
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 03:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought it was Willie that worked with Sewell coming out of HS? I know he trains linemen (he just worked with Jordan).

I read this a couple weeks ago and it surprised me too...I don't think it was so much a camp that Munoz ran but he was at a camp that Sewell attended before going to college...Maybe Munoz was there just to watch or maybe work with some lineman.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dude's 3-cone is amazing for such a big WR. He definitely has the change of direction speed to run the entire route tree

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 10:48 AM)spazz70 Wrote: No, as far as Munoz you may want to read up in his involvement with Sewell...Munoz runs a camp and Sewell attended his camp coming out of HS and Munoz said that he was the best prospect he ever saw coming out....This is not someone "airing their opinion"....this is the only HOF player in the history of the Bengals, that played the position and has worked with Sewell face to face.  His opinion should mean a ton and his opinion should be taken to heart....this line is atrocious and needs to be improved for years to come....Sewell, if there, should be the only thought.....run to the podium with the card in hand....This is as easy as taking Burrow last year....Paul Brown's first ever pick was an OL....you know why?   Because that is where you build a team.

You probably should’ve read the second sentence and onwards of my post then hey!
Reply/Quote
Not just our tackles, but our receivers too (TJ, McGee). And not just ours, but seemingly league-wide. There are so few exceptions of execs and/or players who believe (or are at least willing to publicly say) that Ja'Marr Chase would be the right pick for this team. Somebody mentioned Jim Mora Jr the other day. But that's all I've seen.

Personally, I'm waiting on two names: Esiason and Collinsworth. Boomer can speak for the QBs. But as y'all know, Cris is part-owner of PFF. If even he says that Sewell should be the guy, there's nothing to dissect anymore. For better or worse, we'd be making a decision to appease fantasy football owners on April 29.

Not saying that that would be right or wrong. There are virtues to playing fantasy football, selling our new jerseys in the pro shop, and taking advantage of fleeting revenue opportunities. But we shouldn't get it twisted. That's what we'd be doing.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dude's 3-cone is amazing for such a big WR. He definitely has the change of direction speed to run the entire route tree

What I saw from senior bowl 1v1s made me not even want to consider drafting the guy. But that was probably me half asleep jumping to conclusions after a tiny sample size of data.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 02:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know that we could get a solid lineman later. Maybe. Thing about that is we've had a much better track record of taking WR's in round 2 than linemen. I also factor in a myriad of other factors.

1. QB/WR tandems like Stafford/Megatron and Ryan/Julio rarely work. It's a ton of money invested in one facet of the offense.

2. If you have an elite QB (which I think Burrow will be), I'd say it's better to spread that money around to blocking/defense. He'll make our WR's look good.

3. If you draft Chase, say goodbye to Higgins in 3 years. We can't pay big bucks to everyone in the pass offense.

4. Yes, we could get a lineman later...but whatever need we address at #5, we're taking a risk with the need we don't address there. There's no guarantee that the linemen we want will be sitting there in the 2nd round. We could also have a gem fall in our laps that isn't a lineman. Would we then pass to stick with the need?

That's why I think you address what is clearly your biggest need first. If we miss on a lineman in this draft, I'd say our 2021 line will be pretty ugly, right? If we miss on a speed WR, it'll suck but won't be the end of the world. I think we can get by on what we have.

Dehner and Morrison had an article last week that pretty much aligned with my thoughts on this:

'Take Sewell: Comes in and plays guard right away, as has been done with Laremy Tunsil and La’el Collins early in their careers, but could end up a tackle depending on how he looks upon arrival. But the Bengals hope he will eventually be the next Andrew Whitworth or Willie Anderson while offering a major upgrade on the interior immediately.'

'Take Chase: This is a nightmare scenario … for AFC North defensive coordinators. Give Burrow a deep threat — and the luxury of a head start in developing chemistry with him — to run with Higgins and Boyd and marry the quarterback’s fast processing ability with all that elite talent spreading defenses thin and watch the magic unfold.'

Like I've said, I think both options are great and the Bengals are going to be a better team regardless of which one is taken.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 02:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's why I think you address what is clearly your biggest need first. If we miss on a lineman in this draft, I'd say our 2021 line will be pretty ugly, right? If we miss on a speed WR, it'll suck but won't be the end of the world. I think we can get by on what we have.

I wanted to touch on this real quick too, because I've seen more people saying it. It's not so much that they need a 'speedy' receiver. There are a lot of speedy guys in this draft, but a lot of them are best suited for the slot. The Bengals need a legit outside receiver, who is also fast enough to at least make defenses respect his vertical game. They don't currently have a true outside receiver to play opposite Higgins. With the amount of 11 personnel that Zac will likely be running again, that's a problem. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 08:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I wanted to touch on this real quick too, because I've seen more people saying it. It's not so much that they need a 'speedy' receiver. There are a lot of speedy guys in this draft, but a lot of them are best suited for the slot. The Bengals need a legit outside receiver, who is also fast enough to at least make defenses respect his vertical game. They don't currently have a true outside receiver to play opposite Higgins. With the amount of 11 personnel that Zac will likely be running again, that's a problem. 

Chase is not only speedy downfield but physical on all routes.

There might be some speed WRs coming out that get manhandled at the line like Ross did.  We don't need another Ross type guy.

I don't think it would be absurd to say Chase could produce like Jefferson immediately from his college tape.

I do think it's absurd to make statements that Sewell is going to be Munoz or Anderson from his college tape.

Notice how I didn't compare Chase to Bengal legends or HOF players?

Instead, I'm going from level of recent: competition/QB connection/comparable scenarios
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 09:06 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Chase is not only speedy downfield but physical on all routes.

There might be some speed WRs coming out that get manhandled at the line like Ross did.  We don't need another Ross type guy.

I don't think it would be absurd to say Chase could produce like Jefferson immediately from his college tape.

I do think it's absurd to make statements that Sewell is going to be Munoz or Anderson from his college tape.

Instead, I'm going from level of recent: competition/QB connection/comparable scenarios

I do think it's absurd to use Justin Jefferson and Anthony Munoz as measuring sticks in the same post 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 09:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I do think it's absurd to use Justin Jefferson and Anthony Munoz as measuring sticks in the same post 

I'm not.

You missed the point.

There are posters on here who throw around Sewell as the next Munoz or Willie Anderson.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 09:06 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Chase is not only speedy downfield but physical on all routes.

I think the opposite is why a lot of pro lineman people get frustrated with folks wanting a receiver.

Many of the pro chase (or a month ago, pro pitts) guys are "how can we not take a generational receiver!?" 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 02:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Power tandem of Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell hope they have the Organizations ear
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2021/04/17/anthony-munoz-ken-anderson-give-their-takes-who-bengals-should-draft/7254938002/

All for it. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 05:02 PM)Destro Wrote: Just draft a punter. None of us deserve to be happy.

Well, we are still operating under the idea that Burrow plays harder when he's mad, so that ought to get him suitably upset.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 09:37 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not.

You missed the point.

There are posters on here who throw around Sewell as the next Munoz or Willie Anderson.

And people are calling Chase the next Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson, both sides are over reaching. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote