Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith: Huge Improvement at Left Tackle
(09-02-2019, 05:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He basically has no options around the NFL other than the Bengals. The Cardinals waived him last year.

The Bengals pretty much have no better option too.

It's a match made in mediocrity!

So, who would you suggest that the Bengals magically sign, to remedy the situation?  Hell, Matt Kalil was signed by the Texans for $7.5M, with $2.5M guaranteed, and they just cut him..  

The reason I bring him up is because his name was mentioned frequently, back in the heat of free agency.  However, had the Bengals given him that deal, how would we all be feeling now?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, who would you suggest that the Bengals magically sign, to remedy the situation?  Hell, Matt Kalil was signed by the Texans for $7.5M, with $2.5M guaranteed, and they just cut him..  

The reason I bring him up is because his name was mentioned frequently, back in the heat of free agency.  However, had the Bengals given him that deal, how would we all be feeling now?

I would be happy is we went after him now. He was paid 2.5 million by Texans (guaranteed), then signed for $125,000 a game. That is 2 million for 16 games. The rest of his contract was incentive type bonuses and workout bonuses.

He was slated still to be their starting LT until the Tunsel trade, why not go after him now?? He is better than the back ups other than Smith we have now available to us at LT
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 04:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've always been a quiet fan of Andre Smith.  When healthy and motivated, he has always been a top notch player.  

It is true that he was a LT for Alabama, but a victim of Whitworth being an excellent LT in his first tour with the Bengals.  If he can hold off J Clowney in  game one?  I say give him a $1M bonus and call the LT position his.  When Cordy Glenn gets back to health, let him fight for the LG spot and be the 3rd wheel at Tackle.  Cordy's run blocking sucks ass, anyway..

Agree with all of this Sunset, nice post.

(09-02-2019, 05:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Andre declined pretty much over the past 2 years. If he can even be an average LT, I'd be happy.

He was pretty bad last year with the Cardinals and here.

Some of you guys in the forum are trying to wish into existence the offensive line being good...but the reality is most of the guys are below average or worse.

Andre lost weight and is playing better because of it.

You are trying to not let yourself down Pistons as usual.

I thought you were a PFF guy. PFF and the eye test show our O-line, (top guys) were great in pass protection.

Hopkins was the best in the NFL this preseason.

With some unpredictable playcalling our run blocking should come along too.

(09-02-2019, 05:53 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I won't be shedding any tears if Andre gets the job done and Glenn has no starting position to come back to. 

Me neither.

(09-02-2019, 05:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He basically has no options around the NFL other than the Bengals. The Cardinals waived him last year.

The Bengals pretty much have no better option too.

It's a match made in mediocrity!

So what are you whining about?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would be happy is we went after him now. He was paid 2.5 million by Texans (guaranteed), then signed for $125,000 a game. That is 2 million for 16 games. The rest of his contract was incentive type bonuses and workout bonuses.

He was slated still to be their starting LT until the Tunsel trade, why not go after him now?? He is better than the back ups other than Smith we have now available to us at LT

Go after him and Tevon Coney.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would be happy is we went after him now. He was paid 2.5 million by Texans (guaranteed), then signed for $125,000 a game. That is 2 million for 16 games. The rest of his contract was incentive type bonuses and workout bonuses.

Yes, I'd be happy if they picked him up, at or near the same amount that they're paying Andre Smith.  If Kalil really had any juice left in the tank, Houston would have held onto him.  Sure, Houston has made some weird personnel decisions, but just throwing away $2.5M?  They could have at least kept him as their swing, backup Tackle, but they chose to just cut him.  Something is not right with the guy..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, who would you suggest that the Bengals magically sign, to remedy the situation?  Hell, Matt Kalil was signed by the Texans for $7.5M, with $2.5M guaranteed, and they just cut him..  

Due to poor drafting over the past 3-4 years...they've painted themselves into a corner that will be tough to get out of.

Personally, I would have probably signed Saffold at Guard instead of Miller so we'd be Good at that Guard spot.

There are no quick fixes out there. That includes changing O-Line coaches, etc. We just don't have capable personnel.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with all of this Sunset, nice post.

Andre lost weight and is playing better because of it.

You are trying to not let yourself down Pistons as usual.

I thought you were a PFF guy. PFF and the eye test show our O-line, (top guys) were great in pass protection.

Hopkins was the best in the NFL this preseason.

With some unpredictable playcalling our run blocking should come along too.

Me neither.

So what are you whining about?

I'm talking last regular season on Smith. You're citing Preseason play. We both know that what you see in the Preseason generally doesn't mean much.

And just because some configuration is OUR best offensive line...doesn't mean it's good compared to other NFL Teams.

When you lose your 2 best lineman (Jonah -theoretically and Boling)...you're in trouble
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm talking last regular season on Smith. You're citing Preseason play. We both know that what you see in the Preseason generally doesn't mean much.

And just because some configuration is OUR best offensive line...doesn't mean it's good compared to other NFL Teams.

When you lose your 2 best lineman (Jonah -theoretically and Boling)...you're in trouble

Andre wasn't playing LT last season and he has lost a lot of weight since then as Whatever said.

It depends who your backups are and so far what we have seen of Andre and Jordan is good.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 07:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Andre wasn't playing LT last season and he has lost a lot of weight since then as Whatever said.

It depends who your backups are and so far what we have seen of Andre and Jordan is good.

I wouldn't call Jordan 'good' either. Maybe at some point...but not now. He likely will struggle...but will hopefully improve.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 07:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wouldn't call Jordan 'good' either. Maybe at some point...but not now. He likely will struggle...but will hopefully improve.

We will see. I like what i have seen of him so far.

One of the most physical run blockers we have and he can pass protect with long arms and good feet.

Athletic and strong.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 07:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wouldn't call Jordan 'good' either. Maybe at some point...but not now. He likely will struggle...but will hopefully improve.

The other linemen around him, his fellow linemen on the team have been saying a lot of good things about him, have been saying he looks ready. 

I know that, since it's the Bengals, it's easy to automatically assume a 4th round rookie lineman can't be good right away, but hell, maybe all these professionals are not just plain lying about him.   Maybe he will be a good player right off the bat.  It happens every year in the league.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 08:58 PM)McC Wrote: The other linemen around him, his fellow linemen on the team have been saying a lot of good things about him, have been saying he looks ready. 

I know that, since it's the Bengals, it's easy to automatically assume a 4th round rookie lineman can't be good right away, but hell, maybe all these professionals are not just plain lying about him.   Maybe he will be a good player right off the bat.  It happens every year in the league.

Allow me to point out that he is a Buckeye as well...

Oh yeah, and his name's Michael ***** Jordan.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Glad to see Jordan starting early in his career. Hope he pans out.
Reply/Quote
Only Bengals fans can talk themselves into finding reasons to feel optimistic about this patchwork group of castoffs and rookies.

This o-line is going to be bad.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 09:16 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Only Bengals fans can talk themselves into finding reasons to feel optimistic about this patchwork group of castoffs and rookies.

We (Bengal fans) have one time of the year to be optimistic and that is now. We are tied for first place, we are undefeated. 

Plenty of time to cry and whine if or when things go south. But, if not a least a little optimism right now, those fans will never be optimistic,
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 06:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Go after him and Tevon Coney.

I'd like to see Coney brought in.  I wouldn't expect him to be a star, but it wouldn't be horrible to have a guy like him as youth 5th linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 08:58 PM)McC Wrote: The other linemen around him, his fellow linemen on the team have been saying a lot of good things about him, have been saying he looks ready. 

Let's not forget that Clint Boling and Geno Atkins were also 4th round selections.  Sometimes the best players do get overlooked because of the "combine phenoms".  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 09:16 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Only Bengals fans can talk themselves into finding reasons to feel optimistic about this patchwork group of castoffs and rookies.

Then why are you apart of us sad folks RKR?

I like you but I like to be optimistic and PFF backs up my optimism. One of the best pass protecting O-lines this PS.
Reply/Quote
It feels sometimes like some of us here are invested in the idea of the team being bad, the OL being bad, etc.

We have new coaches and systems and we also brought in new starters at two OL positions (LG and RG) and a new starting Center to boot. Interior OL has been a persistent issue for the last several seasons of the Marvin era and so far ZT seems determined to get an effective group out there.

So far from what we have seen in preseason both new Guards are definite upgrades over what we ran out there last year and Hopkins played his way into the lineup. Also Hart seems to be responding to the new systems well. Let's wait and see how everything goes.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 10:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Then why are you apart of us sad folks RKR?

I like you but I like to be optimistic and PFF backs up my optimism. One of the best pass protecting O-lines this PS.

Preseason HOF Offensive Line!
Reply/Quote