Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith liking it at Guard
(06-25-2017, 07:01 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Andre Smith signed a 1 year, $3,250,000 contract with the Bengals

I dont get this.

They are obviously taking a risk on the guy, who is 30, coming off injury, but has performed well in the past.  High draft pick, etc.

So like, the O line is a huge weakness of the team - very obvious.

So, lets just say Smith becomes a really really good Guard, which I think is possible -   Why isnt there an mutual or team option on the deal for a second year, something like 5-6 million for the option year.

It seems so short sided not to at least hedge that this flier may be a success, then you'd have him back for next year at a bargain.  Otherwise, opt out and void the option.

You don't know that there isn't an option. Regardless of whether there is or isn't it still takes both sides to agree with contracts. He's coming off injury to play a new position. If he's terrible (nobody really expects that) or gets seriously injured and can't play then they're stuck with the contract. A lot of older players get year to year contracts..nothing unheard of there.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 10:55 AM)grampahol Wrote: You don't know that there isn't an option. Regardless of whether there is or isn't it still takes both sides to agree with contracts. He's coming off injury to play a new position. If he's terrible (nobody really expects that) or gets seriously injured and can't play then they're stuck with the contract. A lot of older players get year to year contracts..nothing unheard of there.

There isnt an option on the contract - it wasnt part of the deal
Reply/Quote
Cautiously optimistic that this will be a good fit but I am curious with his injury history and the talk of speedy edge rushers being his problem in the past and holding penalties will he be able to pull in the run game? There are several plays the Bengals run that had a guard pulling and that is one area that I see potential for concern, hopefully he gets it down and excels at it. Of course, if he does excel and demands too much money (being a lowly guard and all) we'll be having this conversation again next off-season about whoever gets plugged in at RG after him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 11:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/6/25/15861962/andre-smith-discusses-switch-right-guard

Smith says he likes the challenge of learning a new position, and believes that going against Geno Atkins in practice will have him prepared to handle the best the NFL has to offer.

Now, the kiss of death?

LOL

What concerns me is how he talks about things happening faster inside.   I'm hoping that is not the reason he fails (beyond injuries that is)
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 01:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Cautiously optimistic that this will be a good fit but I am curious with his injury history and the talk of speedy edge rushers being his problem in the past and holding penalties will he be able to pull in the run game? There are several plays the Bengals run that had a guard pulling and that is one area that I see potential for concern, hopefully he gets it down and excels at it. Of course, if he does excel and demands too much money (being a lowly guard and all) we'll be having this conversation again next off-season about whoever gets plugged in at RG after him.

I thought about this too.....had anyone seen any film on him yet?  Maybe he has trimmed down a little and is quick enough to execute a pull without any problem.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 09:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly.  Stopping, or at least slowing, the inside rush from the likes of pittsburgh, etc. will be critical for Andre.  Where I feel he will be an improvement is shoving someone back in run blocking and getting two or three yards on 3rd and 2.  

Just like Dallas took Leonard Davis off of the Cardinals' hands, and made him into an All-Pro at Guard.  I really think that his body composition and skillset are optimal to be great at Guard. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 02:07 PM)3wt Wrote: LOL

What concerns me is how he talks about things happening faster inside.   I'm hoping that is not the reason he fails (beyond injuries that is)

He's right, things are much faster at Guard.  On passing plays, that DT is coming straight into him, rather than having to take a drop step, and figure out weather the End is going to the outside, or making a move to the inside.

Andre has traditionally been better versus even fronts, as his man is lined up right on him.  As opposed to odd fronts, where the pass rusher has much more space to work with.  Andre is very tough in downhill blocking situations and matchups.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 04:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's right, things are much faster at Guard.  On passing plays, that DT is coming straight into him, rather than having to take a drop step, and figure out weather the End is going to the outside, or making a move to the inside.

Andre has traditionally been better versus even fronts, as his man is lined up right on him.  As opposed to odd fronts, where the pass rusher has much more space to work with.  Andre is very tough in downhill blocking situations and matchups.

That's what I'm really hoping for with 3rd and 2 situations not having to be a pass play.  I heard Lapham on with James Rapien yesterday say that Fisher left the Bengals last season at 280 and is now 310 and he "put it on in the right places" while increasing his strength".  The Bengals were horrible in short yardage and goal line situations.  Here's to hoping the right side of the line can pound forward for those conversions this season.  
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 12:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I actually think that he will do very well at Guard.  He speaks about things being faster paced at Guard, and he's right.  For example, in pass pro, he'll be initiating the action, rather than reacting to what the End or LB is going to do, when he played at Tackle.

I think that it will be a big advantage for Smith to get his hands on a defender, before they have a chance to cause him to move off balance.

Agree.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 08:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That's what I'm really hoping for with 3rd and 2 situations not having to be a pass play.  I heard Lapham on with James Rapien yesterday say that Fisher left the Bengals last season at 280 and is now 310 and he "put it on in the right places" while increasing his strength".  The Bengals were horrible in short yardage and goal line situations.  Here's to hoping the right side of the line can pound forward for those conversions this season.  

I suppose it's possible for an athlete to increase his body mass by 11% in half a year, and it to all be "good weight", but being a strength athlete myself, I have my doubts.  Though, a little body fat is good for a large athlete to carry.  Gives energy reserves as a game wears on.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/27/bengals-sign-a-guard/

Quote:The Bengals have added a player to their offensive line group ahead of training camp.

The team announced on Tuesday that they have signed guard Cameron Lee to their 90-man roster.

Lee went undrafted after completing his career at Illinois State last season. He started every game during his final two seasons in college and signed with the Saints after the draft, but was dropped from New Orleans’ roster earlier this month.

The Bengals signed Andre Smith this offseason with designs on him switching from tackle to take over for Kevin Zeitler, who signed with the Browns as a free agent. Lee will be competing for a reserve spot or a chance to continue working with the Bengals as a member of their practice squad come September.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I am excited to see Andre at guard. He should bring a nice level of athleticism to the position.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 05:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I suppose it's possible for an athlete to increase his body mass by 11% in half a year, and it to all be "good weight", but being a strength athlete myself, I have my doubts.  Though, a little body fat is good for a large athlete to carry.  Gives energy reserves as a game wears on.

Exactly.  I think a part of Lap's analysis was that Fisher lost so much weight during the season.  Must still have a high metabolism and had difficulty keeping the weight on down the stretch.  He did look thin during the end of the season when he was starting.  Maybe he thought they were going to make him a TE after his one big catch. Hilarious

This way, he has a cushion going in to camp.  Supposedly, he took very little time off after the season and wanted to get after his strength and conditioning for this season.  I like that he apparently gets pretty fired up during games.  Sometimes I think a part of what is missing in a passionate leader... Like when Adam Jones had to be separated from Geno (!) at the Colts playoff game.  I am not saying I want someone starting fights, but you couldn't doubt that guy's passion.  
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 03:10 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I thought about this too.....had anyone seen any film on him yet?  Maybe he has trimmed down a little and is quick enough to execute a pull without any problem.

Bobbie Williams was bigger than Andre smith.
Reply/Quote
If Andre stays healthy, and that's the big if, I suspect he will be one hell of a good guard....
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 11:21 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Bobbie Williams was bigger than Andre smith.

That is true....and my memory is bad....but did he do a lot of pulling?

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2017, 02:00 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am more worried about Andre Smith's health than his ability.

Same here, i bet if he can stay healthy he could be a fine RG.

Over the years he hasn't been able to stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 12:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: That is true....and my memory is bad....but did he do a lot of pulling?

Bobbie didn't do a lot of pulling. That was mainly Steinbach.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 03:30 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Bobbie didn't do a lot of pulling. That was mainly Steinbach.

Correct we seemed to do our power runs to the right then.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 03:30 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Bobbie didn't do a lot of pulling. That was mainly Steinbach.

(06-29-2017, 03:34 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Correct we seemed to do our power runs to the right then.

Gotcha....and we also had big Willie over there on the right....which made power runs to the right a no brainer.  So....we're back to square one on Dre pulling.... Wink

Reply/Quote