Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith liking it at Guard
(06-25-2017, 12:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I actually think that he will do very well at Guard.  He speaks about things being faster paced at Guard, and he's right.  For example, in pass pro, he'll be initiating the action, rather than reacting to what the End or LB is going to do, when he played at Tackle.

I think that it will be a big advantage for Smith to get his hands on a defender, before they have a chance to cause him to move off balance.
And, that will lead to penalties at which Smith excels. YIKES!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 03:43 PM)Derrick Wrote: And, that will lead to penalties at which Smith excels. YIKES!!!

No, it won't.  If anything, he will draw some fouls from the defense, out of their frustration.  Like I said earlier, Andre is very good when in a position head up on an opponent.  It is only when they have room to work with that they can lure him off balance, and force him to have to grab.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 03:41 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gotcha....and we also had big Willie over there on the right....which made power runs to the right a no brainer.  So....we're back to square one on Dre pulling.... Wink

I wouldn't put Andre in the position of being a pulling Guard.  Use him to his strengths, down hill blocking.  Let the much more agile Boling be the pull man.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm a lot less worried about Andre than I am Ogbuehi/Fisher as our bookends and Bodine in the middle.

On topic though, I'm glad Andre is embracing the challenge, but we all know about talk at this time of year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 03:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't put Andre in the position of being a pulling Guard.  Use him to his strengths, down hill blocking.  Let the much more agile Boling be the pull man.

Agreed 100% Sunset.....I was just rolling the idea around in my head of those old combine shots of Big Dre, and then seeing that trying to pull....I wouldn't do it often, but sometimes you gotta keep the D honest.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 03:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't put Andre in the position of being a pulling Guard.  Use him to his strengths, down hill blocking.  Let the much more agile Boling be the pull man.

(06-29-2017, 03:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed 100% Sunset.....I was just rolling the idea around in my head of those old combine shots of Big Dre, and then seeing that trying to pull....I wouldn't do it often, but sometimes you gotta keep the D honest.

Zeitler was too slow to be a pulling Guard, would think that Andre would be even slower.

Drove me nuts last year calling pulling plays in the run game over and over with Zeit.

The Defenses would catch our backs in the backfield and they wouldn't have a chance.

Boling on the other hand is a very good pulling Guard.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm a lot less worried about Andre than I am Ogbuehi/Fisher as our bookends and Bodine in the middle.

On topic though, I'm glad Andre is embracing the challenge, but we all know about talk at this time of year.

Here's a scary thought...Bodine could become the second-highest (or even highest) paid OL on the Bengals if he's given an extension.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 03:41 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Gotcha....and we also had big Willie over there on the right....which made power runs to the right a no brainer.  So....we're back to square one on Dre pulling.... Wink

Eh, I think he will be fine. He seems to be in better shape he last few years according to random pics I see of him.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 03:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed 100% Sunset.....I was just rolling the idea around in my head of those old combine shots of Big Dre, and then seeing that trying to pull....I wouldn't do it often, but sometimes you gotta keep the D honest.

Yeah, at this point in his career, I just wouldn't ask that of him.  Even if he did manage to perfect his pivot step, that is a lot of force on a knee that is not used to doing that motion.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2017, 04:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Here's a scary thought...Bodine could become the second-highest (or even highest) paid OL on the Bengals if he's given an extension.

[Image: tenor.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

(06-29-2017, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm a lot less worried about Andre than I am Ogbuehi/Fisher as our bookends and Bodine in the middle.

Not really much that I can add on this one. You're both pretty much spot on imo. Glad Andre is enjoying the switch to G. Hope his new found enthusiasm at G translates when they go live.
Reply/Quote