Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith possibly hurt....
I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before he's hurt. Not what I want of course but what I expect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 09:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: When your plan A is shifting an aging guy with significant weight and injury history to a new position, I'd hate to see what plan B is.

To be fair, and I know you were just poking fun, they have Trey Hopkins, Alex Redmond, and Christian Westerman all pushing for time at RG.  That isn't a lack of planning.  We will wait and see the execution, but just like the tackle position....they did have a plan.  
Reply/Quote
Part of me can't wait to see Westerman and guys like Billings play to see if they are all hype or if they can actually play.

re: Smith - When he was drafted, we all saw the pictures of him and know how out of shape he's been. He's a huge guy...It will be interesting to see how his body ages.

He's kind of one of those guys that's been Good at times in his career...but you have to kind of wonder What if? with him. He has the talent to be a Pro Bowl Tackle...he just is rarely in shape.

Ced on the other hand...looks like the prototype of a Tackle...but doesn't put it together on the field.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 08:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To be fair, and I know you were just poking fun, they have Trey Hopkins, Alex Redmond, and Christian Westerman all pushing for time at RG.  That isn't a lack of planning.  We will wait and see the execution, but just like the tackle position....they did have a plan.  

Two UDFAs and a 5th round pick (although Westerman was project a 2-3 leading up to the draft). Most people would feel that's *not* good enough planning.

EDIT: *
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Could be a blessing.

Andre is likely only going to play as long as Andre feels like playing. That's why I was pretty happy when we moved on and disappointed when Marvin brought him back. Let the bad decision go, give the time to someone who can step into it.
Reply/Quote
Andre's Deal wasn't one that gaurenteed him a starting role or spot on the team.

And I hear Trey Hopkins was pushing for the job even with a healthy Andre
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 04:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Andre's Deal wasn't one that gaurenteed him a starting role or spot on the team.

And I hear Trey Hopkins was pushing for the job even with a healthy Andre

We both know better than that.

They gave him $1.55m as a signing bonus and $200k workout bonus.

Tell me again how Mike Brown is going to both pay and then eat $1.75m in dead cap space for a player to have offseason workouts with the team.

[Image: a3c7555ed3141a359229a94e134b16a2--freaki...us-fit.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 04:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We both know better than that.

They gave him $1.55m as a signing bonus and $200k workout bonus.

Tell me again how Mike Brown is going to both pay and then eat $1.75m in dead cap space for a player to have offseason workouts with the team.

[Image: a3c7555ed3141a359229a94e134b16a2--freaki...us-fit.jpg]

1.55 mil is if hes on the roster at the start of the season.

Only thing we paid him was 200k     which for a vet isn't much to get them into camp.

Contracts don't become gaurenteed till around 9/3
Reply/Quote
Calm down everyone I kind of want to call his fake news Smith practice today
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 06:06 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Calm down everyone I kind of want to call his fake news Smith practice today
Yeah, I saw him in the scuffle, Battle Royal whatever you want to call it...Lol
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 06:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yeah, I saw him in the scuffle, Battle Royal whatever you want to call it...Lol

Did you notice that Cedric went after the Burfict, i like the young linemen with some fire.... good sign
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 05:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: 1.55 mil is if hes on the roster at the start of the season.

Only thing we paid him was 200k     which for a vet isn't much to get them into camp.

Contracts don't become gaurenteed till around 9/3

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/andre-smith-5571/

Has his signing bonus at $1.55m, a roster bonus of $62.5k, and a workout bonus of $200k.

- - - - - -

https://overthecap.com/player/andre-smith/157/

Has his signing bonus at $500k, a roster bonus of $250k, and a workout bonus of $200k, with $1m available in incentives.

- - - - - -

Either way, at minimum, they have already handed him $700k, and potentially up to $1.75m. Both are enough that Mike Brown won't let him go without playing.

Mike Brown doesn't give signing bonuses to people who don't have a spot on the roster already.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 08:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To be fair, and I know you were just poking fun, they have Trey Hopkins, Alex Redmond, and Christian Westerman all pushing for time at RG.  That isn't a lack of planning.  We will wait and see the execution, but just like the tackle position....they did have a plan.  

And none of those guys are a proven commodities. Plan B is highly questionable. 
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 08:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/andre-smith-5571/

Has his signing bonus at $1.55m, a roster bonus of $62.5k, and a workout bonus of $200k.

- - - - - -

https://overthecap.com/player/andre-smith/157/

Has his signing bonus at $500k, a roster bonus of $250k, and a workout bonus of $200k, with $1m available in incentives.

- - - - - -

Either way, at minimum, they have already handed him $700k, and potentially up to $1.75m. Both are enough that Mike Brown won't let him go without playing.

Mike Brown doesn't give signing bonuses to people who don't have a spot on the roster already.

Some of you guys are so over the top on this "Nothing Burger " of a thread
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 09:27 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Maybe they try Glasgow. Hell bring on the Vigilante....

Bring back Jason Shirley!!
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 08:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Meanwhile, over in 49er camp, Undrafted Free Agent Jon Toth can play all 3 inside line positions.....

WTF! He didn't get drafted? The kid from you know right across the river. SOB How did we not get this guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Two UDFAs and a 5th round pick (although Westerman was project a 2-3 leading up to the draft). Most people would feel that's good enough planning.

We are talking about the backup Guard position and all three have at least one year in the system and training program that can help them be viable options.  Evan Mathis was a third round pick that bounced around before becoming one of the best guards in the league.  Marshall Yanda was a third rounder and has consistently been one of the best in the league.

I don't think it is as much about the draft status as it is their raw talent and desire to improve when they get here.  

I also really like TJ Johnson.  
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 12:55 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: And none of those guys are a proven commodities. Plan B is highly questionable. 

Not proven commodities, but Hopkins has NFL experience and they have all been in the system and strength training for at least one year.  

Highly questionable would be going with a rookie. 
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 08:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: We are talking about the backup Guard position and all three have at least one year in the system and training program that can help them be viable options.  Evan Mathis was a third round pick that bounced around before becoming one of the best guards in the league.  Marshall Yanda was a third rounder and has consistently been one of the best in the league.

I don't think it is as much about the draft status as it is their raw talent and desire to improve when they get here.  

I also really like TJ Johnson.  

I was speaking in terms of starting RG. Many felt that the draft picks and UDFAs were not enough of a "plan" to replace Zeitler if/when he left in FA. Bringing in an often-injured 30 year old good-not-great RT that has never played RG before also was not a good replacement.

As you mention, Mathis and Yanda were third rounders. Third and fourth rounders typically can become good starting OGs. But there's a difference in a mid-round pick and late-round/UDFA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Two UDFAs and a 5th round pick (although Westerman was project a 2-3 leading up to the draft). Most people would feel that's good enough planning.

What would you consider good enough planning for back up interior linemen? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote