Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andre Smith?
We have Fisher and Cedric OoogleBoogle. Andre is simply not a need.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So Andre signed for 3.5mil. We are paying Winston a little over a million. So for 2.5mil more we could have a competent tackle. Instead we have another "veteran leader" which is the term they tend to use when the guy sucks ass at football but is still on the team taking up a roster spot.

This move makes no sense to me. Our OL wasnt that great to begin with. So no we go cheap and take a major shot to our depth. I was hoping after spending a first and second last year we wouldnt need to go back to the draft for tackles for a while. Either Fisher or Ogbuehi will get barely any playing time if we stay healthy. Winston and whit will retire. And we will be wondering what we have at tackle in 2016.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 02:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So Andre signed for 3.5mil. We are paying Winston a little over a million. So for 2.5mil more we could have a competent tackle. Instead we have another "veteran leader" which is the term they tend to use when the guy sucks ass at football but is still on the team taking up a roster spot.

This move makes no sense to me. Our OL wasnt that great to begin with. So no we go cheap and take a major shot to our depth. I was hoping after spending a first and second last year we wouldnt need to go back to the draft for tackles for a while. Either Fisher or Ogbuehi will get barely any playing time if we stay healthy. Winston and whit will retire. And we will be wondering what we have at tackle in 2016.
Wilson is a bench coach. He's there to guide our two younger guys and — at most — provide a breather here and there.

Smith wasn't very good. He had flashes here and there, but between the injuries and long periods of sucking, we didn't need to spend $3.5 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 02:34 PM)Benton Wrote: Wilson is a bench coach. He's there to guide our two younger guys and — at most — provide a breather here and there.

Smith wasn't very good. He had flashes here and there, but between the injuries and long periods of sucking, we didn't need to spend $3.5 million.
Winston you mean, but yeah.

Andre lost weight last year and had his worst year as a starter. He had some terrible games last year.

I think the young guys can do the same and improve as the year goes on.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 02:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So Andre signed for 3.5mil. We are paying Winston a little over a million. So for 2.5mil more we could have a competent tackle. Instead we have another "veteran leader" which is the term they tend to use when the guy sucks ass at football but is still on the team taking up a roster spot.

Considering the Bengals only intended to spend $15 million on FA this year, they have exceeded that and the extra $2.5 million actually makes a difference.

Also, Smith probably wanted to start and the Bengals likely wanted to put Ogbuehi/Fisher at starting RT this year. Winston is content being a vet backup.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 02:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Winston you mean, but yeah.

Andre lost weight last year and had his worst year as a starter. He had some terrible games last year.

I think the young guys can do the same and improve as the year goes on.

[Image: Wilson-home-improvement-tv-show-33144924-1024-768.png]
Reply/Quote
Going with Zim. Grats to both
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 02:34 PM)Benton Wrote: Wilson is a bench coach. He's there to guide our two younger guys and — at most — provide a breather here and there.

We don't need a bench coach. We have a real coach. That is his job. To coach OL. And one of the best leaders on the team happens to be our starting LT too. Winston is an absolute waste of a roster spot and over a million.

You can say Andre sucked all you want. He was on every top 100 FA list I looked at. And no matter how much you think he sucked. He was better than Winston. He has been a starting tackle for 5 straight playoff teams.
Reply/Quote
So long Big Boi

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Considering the Bengals only intended to spend $15 million on FA this year, they have exceeded that and the extra $2.5 million actually makes a difference.

Also, Smith probably wanted to start and the Bengals likely wanted to put Ogbuehi/Fisher at starting RT this year. Winston is content being a vet backup.

Yea but everybody with the internet knew it was a hell of a lot more than 15 million. Saving that 2.5 million for an emergency injury fund is absolutely stupid. That does nothing to help us now.

We haven't given the starting job to anyone. Kirk and Dennard had to earn it. Eifert had to earn it.

It just pisses me off because we preach about keeping our own. And instead we are being stingy with 2.5mil when we had well over 30mil to spend and letting a starting tackle walk. And we are giving away a starting spot to an unproven player. That is a quick way to watch our offense go to shit. Let weapons leave, then let the protection leave. Cover Eifert and AJ and rush right at Daltons face and our O could be in trouble.

I don't get the point of a vet backup when the guy is terrible. Use a young guy or someone that can improve. Someone who peaked years ago, is on the decline, and isn't even average anymore is a shit option.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 02:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote:  Either Fisher or Ogbuehi will get barely any playing time if we stay healthy. Winston and whit will retire. And we will be wondering what we have at tackle in 2016.

How long will your theory work?

Doesn't Dre eventually have to be replaced by a draft choice?

Should we just bring back our starters forever until they fall over and then try to start a rookie?

The Bengals are doing exactly what the smart teams do.  Let players walk before they absolutely stink.  And draft guys a year or two early so you don't have to force a rookie to start.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 03:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We don't need a bench coach. We have a real coach. That is his job. To coach OL. And one of the best leaders on the team happens to be our starting LT too. Winston is an absolute waste of a roster spot and over a million.

You can say Andre sucked all you want. He was on every top 100 FA list I looked at. And no matter how much you think he sucked. He was better than Winston. He has been a starting tackle for 5 straight playoff teams.

being a top 100 free agent doesn't mean you're any good.

but I do agree he's better than Winston. I just disagree we should pay him 3.5 million to be a backup. Because at this point, that's what he's got left.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 03:06 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We don't need a bench coach. We have a real coach. That is his job. To coach OL. And one of the best leaders on the team happens to be our starting LT too. Winston is an absolute waste of a roster spot and over a million.

Of course he is better than winston, But you have cedric, and fisher before Winston.  You eventually have to let people leave and the draft last year allowed it. 
Reply/Quote
Looks like Andre still didn't find the market he was looking for and is hoping that the 3rd time will be the charm next year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How long will your theory work?

Doesn't Dre eventually have to be replaced by a draft choice?

Should we just bring back our starters forever until they fall over and then try to start a rookie?

The Bengals are doing exactly what the smart teams do.  Let players walk before they absolutely stink.  And draft guys a year or two early so you don't have to force a rookie to start.

Well Andre is only 29. So... He could easily play 3 more years.

Resigning Winston is not letting players walk before they absolutely stink. That is the exact opposite.

You bring back your starters until someone takes their job. No one has taken Andre's job. We are handing the job to someone. Handing a job to an unproven player especially something as important as T could be trouble.

Andy loses two weapons, no burfict for the first few games, and we have to break in a brand new tackle, and they always have growing pains. We could be looking at a rough start to the year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:34 PM)Benton Wrote: being a top 100 free agent doesn't mean you're any good.

but I do agree he's better than Winston. I just disagree we should pay him 3.5 million to be a backup. Because at this point, that's what he's got left.

He comes back as the starter until someone takes his job. Ogbuehi and Fisher got a couple snaps as extra TEs and Fisher was playing FB at the end of the year. They didn't get much experience blocking NFL pass rushers in live games. We could at least slowly phase Andre out as the year progresses and we break the young guys in. Instead if the young guys struggle now we have a shit bag Winston to turn to.

Zimmer just built a line that will run over people. I would agree with Zimmer that he just made a good signing on Andre.

I have high hopes for Ogbuehi and Fisher. Hopefully they are our future at LT and RT. I would just like a backup plan better than Winston.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:47 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well Andre is only 29. So... He could easily play 3 more years.

Resigning Winston is not letting players walk before they absolutely stink. That is the exact opposite.

You bring back your starters until someone takes their job. No one has taken Andre's job. We are handing the job to someone. Handing a job to an unproven player especially something as important as T could be trouble.

Andy loses two weapons, no burfict for the first few games, and we have to break in a brand new tackle, and they always have growing pains. We could be looking at a rough start to the year.  

Really?  

It's not a big deal.  We have two capable tackles that were drafted last year with the intention to take over.  Keep in mind whit and Andre were both supposed to be up at he end of the year.  The bengals resigned with for a year but the intention was to always let him go.  

If you can't see that you are blind

They are going to sign a veteran and draft a rookie at wr

It's not the bengals fault burfict got suspended. 

To steal a line from Aaron Rodgers R-E-L-A-X
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:52 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He comes back as the starter until someone takes his job. Ogbuehi and Fisher got a couple snaps as extra TEs and Fisher was playing FB at the end of the year. They didn't get much experience blocking NFL pass rushers in live games. We could at least slowly phase Andre out as the year progresses and we break the young guys in. Instead if the young guys struggle now we have a shit bag Winston to turn to.

Zimmer just built a line that will run over people. I would agree with Zimmer that he just made a good signing on Andre.

I have high hopes for Ogbuehi and Fisher. Hopefully they are our future at LT and RT. I would just like a backup plan better than Winston.

You don't pay 3.5m to a backup position in the nfl- maybe backup qb.

You just don't

Nickel WR and Nickel CB don't count as they play over 50% of snaps
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:47 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: You bring back your starters until someone takes their job. No one has taken Andre's job. We are handing the job to someone. Handing a job to an unproven player especially something as important as T could be trouble.

Or it could work out the way it has for the Patriots when they got rid of Logan Mankins, Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour, etc.

This is just another case of people seeing doom and gloom with everything the Bengals do instead of looking around the league at what the other teams do.  All across the league older, higher paid players are being cut or allowed to walk in free agency in order to be replaced by guys drafted to take their places.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 05:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Or it could work out the way it has for the Patriots when they got rid of Logan Mankins, Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour, etc.

This is just another case of people seeing doom and gloom with everything the Bengals do instead of looking around the league at what the other teams do.  All across the league older, higher paid players are being cut or allowed to walk in free agency in order to be replaced by guys drafted to take their places.

Richard Seymour played good in Oakland, milloy mead good years in buffalo and mankins did as well in TB

Seymour- pro bowl in 2010 and 2011 with Raiders (second team all pro in the latter)
Milloy- went on to play 8 more years in the NFl starting every game but 6 to injury
Mankins- made pro bowl in 2015 

Bad examples
Reply/Quote