Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Whitworth open to returning to Cincy if it doesn't work out with the Rams
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/16/nfl-free-agency-bengals-andrew-whitworth-open-to-chances-elsewhere-rams-dont-bring-him-back/

The best part is where it says that the Rams have only $23 million in cap space and they have lots of problems on their line, and Whit was their best linemen last year. I want him lining up at LG next year.

If the Bengals simply signed Whit and Thuney to man the Guard spots, re-signed AJ Green, Billings, Vigil, and possibly extended Mixon, I would be really excited heading in to the draft. They could go after largely defense, and maybe a WR.

They would more than have the money if they cut/traded Glenn, Dre K, and Dalton. FWIW, as much as I love the guy, Gio is a wasted commodity in this offense. You don't pay a RB to be a blitz pick up guy on passing downs. Get a fullback.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They need to sign Whit or a couple of quality free agents to show they are serious about building a winning organization around Burrow. 

The team is awful- particularly at o line and LB- plus a weak and ultra low cost coaching staff and no indoor facility. LSU has more quality in its infrastructure than the Bengals and a much stronger culture committed to excellence.

Bengals are a step down/lesser organization than LSU.

Ask yourself this question. If you were a rising star trained and developed by a great organization with great leadership ( or the parent of this person), would you voluntarily take a step down to ( or want your son to play for) a lesser organization with poor leadership with a track record that accepts mediocrity?

Absent the draft, Burrow and any other potentially great young player would not give the Bengals two seconds of consideration.

The whole Bengals attitude is so contrary to the culture of the city were I grew up- where people always strived to be the best they could be in education, sports, and their chosen work or business. 

Pete Rose exemplified the Cincinnati spirt I knew as a kid - a quality completely lacking in the long term management philosophy of the Bengals,

Reply/Quote
I'd love to see us sign Whit and Thuney, and even a LBer. That would free up our draft a ton !
Reply/Quote
I love whit.... and would do this to replace Glenn. without hesitation. But its not a long term solution Just a bandaid on the OL dude cant keep playing forever lol
Reply/Quote
Whit would be a good short term answer at LG.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 08:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/16/nfl-free-agency-bengals-andrew-whitworth-open-to-chances-elsewhere-rams-dont-bring-him-back/

The best part is where it says that the Rams have only $23 million in cap space and they have lots of problems on their line, and Whit was their best linemen last year. I want him lining up at LG next year.

If the Bengals simply signed Whit and Thuney to man the Guard spots, re-signed AJ Green, Billings, Vigil, and possibly extended Mixon, I would be really excited heading in to the draft. They could go after largely defense, and maybe a WR.

They would more than have the money if they cut/traded Glenn, Dre K, and Dalton. FWIW, as much as I love the guy, Gio is a wasted commodity in this offense. You don't pay a RB to be a blitz pick up guy on passing downs. Get a fullback.

Please stop saying “sign vigil”. He is horrible and by far the worst starting linebacker in the league. He should be a backup at best.
Reply/Quote
Lol you kidding me? Bring this guy back yesterday. I'll never doubt him due to age again. I already made that mistake once.

In all seriousness though, 1-2 years of Whit couldn't hurt, even if he's diminished.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 08:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/16/nfl-free-agency-bengals-andrew-whitworth-open-to-chances-elsewhere-rams-dont-bring-him-back/

The best part is where it says that the Rams have only $23 million in cap space and they have lots of problems on their line, and Whit was their best linemen last year.  I want him lining up at LG next year.

If the Bengals simply signed Whit and Thuney to man the Guard spots, re-signed AJ Green, Billings, Vigil, and possibly extended Mixon, I would be really excited heading in to the draft.  They could go after largely defense, and maybe a WR.

They would more than have the money if they cut/traded Glenn, Dre K, and Dalton.  FWIW, as much as I love the guy, Gio is a wasted commodity in this offense.  You don't pay a RB to be a blitz pick up guy on passing downs.  Get a fullback.

This would be excellent. The Guards were worse than our OT's last season and we didn't have our first round pick and Hart is not
as bad as some say and Fred Johnson could be a diamond in the rough and we could always draft a versatile OG/OT.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 06:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol you kidding me? Bring this guy back yesterday. I'll never doubt him due to age again. I already made that mistake once.

In all seriousness though, 1-2 years of Whit couldn't hurt, even if he's diminished.

He would be worth it on leadership alone.
Reply/Quote
Bring Whit back home.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
YES! We need some leadership along that oline.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 06:15 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Please stop saying “sign vigil”.  He is horrible and by far the worst starting linebacker in the league.  He should be a backup at best.

Yes.
Reply/Quote
lol at andy leaving at same time "NOW whitworth and AJ coming back???"
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 06:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He would be worth it on leadership alone.

Agree

Even if he's only playing limited snaps just having him around is bound to help the team.
Reply/Quote
Love Whit he's one of my favorite Bengals of all time but signing Whit makes no sense for him or the Bengals. The Bengals are or should be rebuilding I don't want a 38 year old Whit stealing snaps from a 21 year old Michael Jordan. I rather sign a guy like Tuney, Sheriff or Glasgow who are all 27 and can be part of a young core for the future. Plus I'm sure Whit at 38 wants to play for a superbowl contender not the worst team in the league.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 11:19 AM)bengals67 Wrote: They need to sign Whit or a couple of quality free agents to show they are serious about building a winning organization around Burrow. 

The team is awful- particularly at o line and LB- plus a weak and ultra low cost coaching staff and no indoor facility. LSU has more quality in its infrastructure than the Bengals and a much stronger culture committed to excellence.

Bengals are a step down/lesser organization than LSU.

Ask yourself this question. If you were a rising star trained and developed by a great organization with great leadership ( or the parent of this person), would you voluntarily take a step down to ( or want your son to play for) a lesser organization with poor leadership with a track record that accepts mediocrity?

Absent the draft, Burrow and any other potentially great young player would not give the Bengals two seconds of consideration.

The whole Bengals attitude is so contrary to the culture of the city were I grew up- where people always strived to be the best they could be in education, sports, and their chosen work or business. 

Pete Rose exemplified the Cincinnati spirt I knew as a kid - a quality completely lacking in the long term management philosophy of the Bengals,

I would like to think I would be more like Kurt Warner, and take one of the two (he actually took both) of the losingest franchises in NFL history to the Super Bowl.  I get the recent frustrations, but I think that a lot of people are only focusing on the last four years and not the really strong teams that were built with the peaks at 2005 and 2015.  
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 06:15 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Please stop saying “sign vigil”.  He is horrible and by far the worst starting linebacker in the league.  He should be a backup at best.

He actually was rated pretty well once Preston Brown was released.  
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 06:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This would be excellent. The Guards were worse than our OT's last season and we didn't have our first round pick and Hart is not
as bad as some say and Fred Johnson could be a diamond in the rough and we could always draft a versatile OG/OT.

They could draft a guard or continue to try and develop Jordan.  What this would do is free up the draft for BPA that might include a stud safety, LB, DE, or WR.  
Reply/Quote
Reading this thread, it just dawned on me, that IF we could bring Whit back we could go from a hot garbage OLine to a starting OLine of:

LT- J Williams
LG- Whit
C- Hopkins
RG- Jordan/Hart
RT- F Johnson/ROOKIE

That looks pretty damn stout...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 08:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He actually was rated pretty well once Preston Brown was released.  

Many fans seem to gloss over bright spots like Vigil's turn for the better, when the team is losing.  It becomes too easy to just let the negative energy flow, when in fact, these guys are professionals doing all that they can to help the team win and improve their own performances.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote