Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Andrew Whitworth retires
(03-15-2022, 01:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think he's a sure thing for first ballot HOF. I'm not even sure he'll make it to the Hall. I mean, you'd think he would, but so would you also think Big Willie, Montoya, and several others would be in there as well.

Ring or not, Big Willie was a better player.

That said, I think both should be in there eventually, not that they will.

Whit probably has a better shot because he played for a different team that the media actually cares about, although that didn't help Corey.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Would love it if the Bengals offered Whit a 1 day contract so he could retire a Bengal. Hope Whit kills it in whatever he decides to do next. Coaching? Media? Just being a dad?

Whitworth signs with the Bengals as an O-Line consultant. He trains and teaches them into being one of the most stout O-Lines in history. Gets his second ring, this time as a staff member, as Burrow has the cleanest jersey in Super Bowl history. And the crowd goes wild. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:04 PM)pally Wrote: Long time Bengal, fan favorite, and for 3 weeks the oldest player in the NFL, Andrew Whitworth has announced his retirement at age 40.  Sure to be a Hall of Famer in 5 years, Whit has been a class act his entire career

Best of luck for the future to him, Melissa, and the kids

Great player most likely  HOF but 1st ballot doubtful 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Clapping

As a fan beginning in the early 2000s easily one of my all time favs.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Maybe he’ll pull a Brady and unretire signing a 1- year deal with the Bengals to start at guard.
Reply/Quote
Hope the best for him. Enjoyed watching him play through the years. Sorry he had to leave but glad it worked out for him and his family. Only bad thing about him getting a ring is we did not get a ring.

Great player and leader.
Reply/Quote
He was not going to start as a rookie until there were injuries to the O-line. He was starting at LT for Levi Jones and got beaten pretty badly by a couple of All-Pro pass rushers (Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney) for the Colts. For years after that there were many Bengal fans claiming that he was not good enough to play OT and should be moved to OG.

Good example of why it is not a good idea to judge a player based on his play as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
When the Bengals drafted Whit they said it was because of the way he impressed them in the individual interview at the combing diagraming and analyzing blocking schemes. He always had a great head for the game.

Combine that with the way he organized group activities for the O-line to bond on an individual level and he seems to be a perfect candidate for coaching.

But I have no idea if he is even interested.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When the Bengals drafted Whit they said it was because of the way he impressed them in the individual interview at the combing diagraming and analyzing blocking schemes. He always had a great head for the game.

Combine that with the way he organized group activities for the O-line to bond on an individual level and he seems to be a perfect candidate for coaching.

But I have no idea if he is even interested.

sounded like, while he might be interested in coaching at one point in time, in the immediate future he is interested in some serious family time in the near future.  I could also see him being approached by one of the networks for an analyst gig.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
He told his kids on the field after the Super Bowl that was his last game and he was from now on going to be home with them and be a better dad. I doubt he jumps into coaching and all that entails any time soon.
Reply/Quote
One of the best at his position and a freakin' Ironman to play at his level for as long as he did is amazing. Very few get to go out on top. Congratulations. Enjoy retirement.
Reply/Quote
Did Whit retire a Ram? Seems like he would have signed a 1 day contract and retired a Bengal by now if he was going to retire a Bengal.

Maybe he'll get in the HOF since he will be considered a Ram now.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:06 AM)jj22 Wrote: Did Whit retire a Ram? Seems like he would have signed a 1 day contract and retired a Bengal by now if he was going to retire a Bengal.

Maybe he'll get in the HOF since he will be considered a Ram now.

Yeah, I expect him to be inducted as a Ram if he makes the HoF. I also believe that he has officially retired, yes. This is over four weeks ago, now, so I agree that it doesn't seem like he will retire a Bengal. 
Reply/Quote
Hell of a Career... One of the Best in the game.

Congrats Whit.

He Has a future teaching OL how to stay in shape if he chooses
Reply/Quote
As for the discussion about Whitworth signing a one day contract to retire as a Bengal, wasn't his moving on in free agency not really amicable? I seem to recall a lot of rumors about how the Bengals really low balled their offer while also thinking they had already drafted his replacement with Ogbuehi in the first round in 2015, which obviously failed. Or something like that. I can't recall all the rumors or details. But anyway, if he left feeling undervalued I can see why he would not want to retire as a Bengal. Plus with the Rams he went to two Super Bowls and won one.

He's a great player and I hope he makes it into the HOF some day.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I guess this takes him out of future ring of honor discussions as well.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 01:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: I guess this takes him out of future ring of honor discussions as well.

I would have no problem with him being inducted into the Bengals Ring of Honor some day.  But there are several players that should be inducted well before him.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:18 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, I expect him to be inducted as a Ram if he makes the HoF. I also believe that he has officially retired, yes. This is over four weeks ago, now, so I agree that it doesn't seem like he will retire a Bengal. 

You don't get inducted as part of a team in the NFL; that's strictly a MLB thing.

(04-04-2022, 01:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: I guess this takes him out of future ring of honor discussions as well.

No it doesn't, wtf are you talking about?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 02:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You don't get inducted as part of a team in the NFL; that's strictly a MLB thing.

Interesting. I never knew this. The Bengals then have four Hall of Fame players who have played here. Good to know.
Reply/Quote