Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Andrew Whitworth retires
(04-04-2022, 10:18 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, I expect him to be inducted as a Ram if he makes the HoF. I also believe that he has officially retired, yes. This is over four weeks ago, now, so I agree that it doesn't seem like he will retire a Bengal. 
On the “inducted as a Ram” part, remember, this isn’t baseball where the plaque has a team’s logo on the hat. The NFL Hall of Fame honors players with a bust of their head. No hat, helmet, or any indicator of a team. So technically the “Inducted as a ______” doesn’t apply for football the way it does for baseball. Nonetheless, fans think differently, and sometimes players will say they want to be inducted as a member of one team as opposed to another. I’m also curious where he and his family will continue to live. Personally I think LA is overrated as hell (big mega cities are not my thing) and Cincy or Louisiana would be nicer, but not my decision.
But yeah, in conclusion, even though he spent far more time here, I really feel most will remember him as a Ram first and not a Bengal. Winning a ring, big market bias, etc.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 03:36 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: On the “inducted as a Ram” part, remember, this isn’t baseball where the plaque has a team’s logo on the hat. The NFL Hall of Fame honors players with a bust of their head. No hat, helmet, or any indicator of a team. So technically the “Inducted as a ______” doesn’t apply for football the way it does for baseball. Nonetheless, fans think differently, and sometimes players will say they want to be inducted as a member of one team as opposed to another. I’m also curious where he and his family will continue to live. Personally I think LA is overrated as hell (big mega cities are not my thing) and Cincy or Louisiana would be nicer, but not my decision.
But yeah, in conclusion, even though he spent far more time here, I really feel most will remember him as a Ram first and not a Bengal. Winning a ring, big market bias, etc.

Yeah, I never knew this. Truck mentioned it earlier in the thread. I thought they were designated as part of a team. I do agree that most will remember him as a Ram, which is unfortunate. His best years were here.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 02:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No it doesn't, wtf are you talking about?

Should the ring of Honor include someone who has associated themselves with another team seemingly done with this franchise, and may likely be in the ring of honor of the team they retired a member of.

A legitimate question you seem to have gotten all triggered from reading instead of answering with any thought or opinion. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
As to "as a Bengal.as a Ram". If they don't come in as a member of a Team; why is Munoz considered the only Bengal in the HOF?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 03:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: Should the ring of Honor include someone who has associated themselves with another team seemingly done with this franchise, and may likely be in the ring of honor of the team they retired a member of.

A legitimate question you seem to have gotten all triggered from reading instead of answering with any thought or opinion. 

Yes, but only if their accomplishments with the Bengal ALONE are enough to earn them a spot.  If they earn it while they are here then I don't care where else they go.  On the other hand I don't care if they end up with career Hall of Fame numbers if they didn't do a lot with the Bengals.

For example, if Carlos Dunlap plays until he is 36 (4 more years) and averages 6.5 sacks per year he will be in the top 20 all-time in sacks.  Dunlap had 8.5 this year and has only missed a total of 4 games with injury in 10 seasons.  I think he will do it.  But does a career achievement like that get him in the Bengals Ring of Honor?  I am a big fan of Los.  I defend him a lot.  But I don't know if he gets in the Ring of Honor.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 03:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: Should the ring of Honor include someone who has associated themselves with another team seemingly done with this franchise, and may likely be in the ring of honor of the team they retired a member of.

Idk if whit was completely done with the franchise i doubt he would have rehabbed with Burrow.

But it will be a while before Whits name should even come up for the RoH 
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 04:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to "as a Bengal.as a Ram". If they don't come in as a member of a Team; why is Munoz considered the only Bengal in the HOF?
Of course Munoz is a Bengal, we’re the only team he ever played for. As far as the others go, Paul Brown was inducted before the Bengals even existed. TO was only here for one year as his career was winding down. Charlie Joiner played 4 seasons with the Bengals as opposed to 11 with the Chargers, and didn’t break out until joining them.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 04:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: ...I hope we offer him a one-day contract to retire here.

Why would he do that?   He reached his pinnacle as a Los Angeles Ram.

For him to retire "as a Bengal" would be a slap-in-the-face to all of that.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 05:05 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Of course Munoz is a Bengal, we’re the only team he ever played for. As far as the others go, Paul Brown was inducted before the Bengals even existed. TO was only here for one year as his career was winding down. Charlie Joiner played 4 seasons with the Bengals as opposed to 11 with the Chargers, and didn’t break out until joining them.

[Image: signed-anthony-munoz-picture-hof-tampa-b...hv=1&w=900]

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 05:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: signed-anthony-munoz-picture-hof-tampa-b...hv=1&w=900]

He actually didn't play for Tampa Bay. He was on their team for pre-season as he tried to come back from surgeries and injuries.

He was released before the season started and retired shortly after.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 06:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: He actually didn't play for Tampa Bay. He was on their team for pre-season as he tried to come back from surgeries and injuries.

He was released before the season started and retired shortly after.

Well the picture clearly shows he did play for them, just not in the Regular Season. 

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 08:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well the picture clearly shows he did play for them, just not in the Regular Season. 
No different from, say, an MLB veteran getting a Spring Training invite and not making the team. No regular season appearances. Anyhow, that brief stint with Tampa’s preseason squad definitely did NOT play any role in his induction. He was getting in either way. My point is, Muñoz is the only HOF (so far) who was inducted primarily for his accomplishments as a Bengal. The other 3, as I stated, would be Hall of Farmers without their time with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 08:44 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: No different from, say, an MLB veteran getting a Spring Training invite and not making the team. No regular season appearances. Anyhow, that brief stint with Tampa’s preseason squad definitely did NOT play any role in his induction. He was getting in either way. My point is, Muñoz is the only HOF (so far) who was inducted primarily for his accomplishments as a Bengal. The other 3, as I stated, would be Hall of Farmers without their time with the Bengals.

And my point is when players go in they are associated to a team. We can say all day that they don't go in a a member of a team, but they do. 

Reply/Quote
considering they had Willie Anderson up for nomination in a RAVENS jersey....

Im gonna guess that it's gonna be all Rams stuff when he's nominated and inducted
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And my point is when players go in they are associated to a team. We can say all day that they don't go in a a member of a team, but they do. 

I don't think anyone ever would associate Muñoz with the Buccaneers. In fact it is probably little known by most that he even signed with them.  Pro football reference doesn't even list the Bucs as a team he played for.  Whitworth on the other hand is associated with the Bengals and the Rams because he played for several years on both teams.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:50 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I don't think anyone ever would associate Muñoz with the Buccaneers. In fact it is probably little known by most that he even signed with them.  Pro football reference doesn't even list the Bucs as a team he played for.  Whitworth on the other hand is associated with the Bengals and the Rams because he played for several years on both teams.

I keep forgetting about his "stint" with the Bucs. If you ask most people who follow the NFL most won't know either. And to be listed on PFR you need to make the active roster.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 04:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to "as a Bengal.as a Ram". If they don't come in as a member of a Team; why is Munoz considered the only Bengal in the HOF?

I'd say if you played the majority, or at least 50% of your career with a team, that team can consider you "their" HoFer.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 11:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd say if you played the majority, or at least 50% of your career with a team, that team can consider you "their" HoFer.

In my unbiased opinion, I think he should be a shared Hall of Famer. TO can be considered to be shared by the Niners, Eagles, and Cowboys, but not Bills or Bengals. Kind of subjective, but Whitworth still had a good career here, even if it was his Rams tenure that put him over the hump. Owens was impactful for all 3 NFC teams, was an All Pro for all 3 and on playoff teams for all 3. But or the Bills and Bengals he was just there for a year at the end of his career.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 11:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd say if you played the majority, or at least 50% of your career with a team, that team can consider you "their" HoFer.

Yeah, it's kinda imperfect; however we do it. IF (huge IF) gets in the HOF; it'll be difficult to assign him a team. Whit played here for 11 yearsans LA for 5. He got more team accolades in LA, but more individual accolades here

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 08:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well the picture clearly shows he did play for them, just not in the Regular Season. 

Stop. Being. Pedantic.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote