Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton, Corner Turned or Weapons Gone?
(06-07-2016, 06:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  Also, Eifert is hurt, but he's totally NOT hurt, and he won't miss time, and even if he does miss time we have some other TE that is going to be fine even though we spent the past calendar year pleasuring ourselves to the glory that is Eifert.

Tyler missed 3 games last year and our offense was fine, but now that he might miss pone or two game this year we are doomed?

You are the one guilty of "convolution" here.  You are bending over backwards to make something worse than it really is.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2016, 06:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lafell was injured last year and Eifert is injured every year, as well as right flippin' now.  I'm not sure what part of those statements aren't fact.

now that we've replaced our OC with a QB coach and our #2 and #3 WRs with a FA that hauled in a grand total of 0 TDs (which totally wasn't his fault because _____) 

And Lafell is automatically injured AGAIN this year just because he was injured last year, and he is NOT just one year removed from having a better season than Marvin Jones ever did in his life.

Clearly anyone who does not think we are doomed is just ignoring reality.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2016, 06:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And Lafell is automatically injured AGAIN this year just because he was injured last year, and he is NOT just one year removed from having a better season than Marvin Jones ever did in his life.

Clearly anyone who does not think we are doomed is just ignoring reality.

You're really going out of your way to make my argument seem more extreme than it is.  All I'm saying is that I'm surprised people are so optimistic about our top-tier offense going through so many changes.  I never said doomed nor I never said Lafell is going to be injured at ALL this year.

Lafell is better than Jones.  Eifert will be fine, and if we don't have him we will be fine anyways.  One of the rookie WR's will step up, Zampese will either be better than Hue or the same.  There, I'm on board.  It seemed like this offense really got it together in 2015, but I guess I don't see why a bunch of changes won't work out for the best.  

I seriously wish we could have replaced Marvin Lewis with someone else so we can get all excited about how much better that will make us too, right?

I do hope Lafell is as good or better than Jones or Sanu (depending on who he has to replace) and I've been one of the people around here who wants us to sign FA's. With that being said, I know NFL teams and GMs make mistakes but Lafell was on the market when multiple teams (including us...right?) were throwing (relatively) big money at Marvin Jones and Lafell was available when the Falcons paid a mint for Sanu (they can have him). The consensus here seems to be that Lafell is as good if not better than Jones, and he's easily better than Sanu, so I guess the Bengals accidentally lucked into making the right choice?

Again, NFL teams can make mistakes, but the fact that we tried to re-sign Marvin Jones for over twice as much as we are paying Lafell makes me wonder if the front office shares the viewpoint that Lafell is clearly as good or better. But who knows, the Lions may have saved us from spending 6-7 million on a WR who isn't any better than a guy we got for 2.5.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think both our tight ends are good so Eifert sitting out a few games is no big deal. As for the receiving core, LaFell will fit in nicely along with the others and rookies. Dalton has a chance to get back to the playoffs this year. I like McCarron as the backup QB if Andy gets injured. I look for the Bengals to repeat as division champs.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 04:38 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I think both our tight ends are good so Eifert sitting out a few games is no big deal. As for the receiving core, LaFell will fit in nicely along with the others and rookies. Dalton has a chance to get back to the playoffs this year. I like McCarron as the backup QB if Andy gets injured. I look for the Bengals to repeat as division champs.

Outside of Kroft which other TE are you talking about?
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 12:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Outside of Kroft which other TE are you talking about?

I think he's saying Kroft and Eifert and both good, so having Kroft take Eifert's place as the #1 for a bit won't be the end of the word.  I don't think this team is totally sunk without Eifert, but Kroft and Uzuomozuzhoah both seem very block-first to me, so I don't expect us to try to turn Kroft into Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 01:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think he's saying Kroft and Eifert and both good, so having Kroft take Eifert's place as the #1 for a bit won't be the end of the word.  I don't think this team is totally sunk without Eifert, but Kroft and Uzuomozuzhoah both seem very block-first to me, so I don't expect us to try to turn Kroft into Eifert.

Okay was wondering if he ment eifert or not...

Looking at the TE group without Eifert         I see Kroft who proved himself a bit last year and Hewitt as are leading 2 men.

Uz is still a large unknown but has a chance to change that and get some reps this season
Reply/Quote
Again, this offense is ... Okay??? ....yet, they are one player away from both success and failure.

If one player gets injured (qb, receiver or running back) and misses a bunch of games, this offense suddenly goes into struggle mode.

If one player is added (Boldin), then I feel that they'd still have enough confidence, EXPERIENCE, and athleticism to excel.

Eifert, playing all 16 games, is just a dream to me. I don't believe that any fan would place their money on a bet that he will this season. LaFell's last interview kind of makes me cautious, as he says somethin' like he is "fine, for now.". Lol wtf

Seems like they've done just enough to keep people interested enough to buy tickets, but not enough to say, "hey, looks like they are serious about making a run." i would like to see them set themselves up in such a way that they make themselves EXPECTED to be excellent. When that happens, accountability is a full go. Scratching and clawing your way to the top, no matter what, ...becomes the spirit, the breath.

...as I read some of the posts after I have posted my thoughts 'bout the offense, I see that others have the same sentiments.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2016, 04:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This year will be a big year for Andy (isn't it always?). It seemed like as we approached last season, we were discussing how having all of Andy's weapons back were going to help him turn the corner. In 2014, Eifert was hurt, MLJ was hurt and AJ missed large portions of the season. Dalton had his worst year as a pro, and exited the playoffs quickly again.

2015 comes around, and Andy finally has his weapons back. Eifert turned into a top 5 TE, AJ Green was able to get open with the newly found health of MLJ (and Tyler) and the offense was clicking. Andy Dalton was on the top of his game.

2016 is coming, Eifert is hurt and MLJ/Sanu (the distract the defense from AJ Green squad) is now gone.

My question is, did Andy truly turn the corner last year? Or, was it the stars aligning, with healthy weapons and the 2nd year of Hue Jacksons offense in place that translated into better play?

The answer surely lies somewhere in between, but why do you think Andy will continue progressing like he did last year or why do you think he will regress to something resembling 2013 (which wasn't bad imo). Or perhaps you think he will regress to a 2014 level of play.

I think Andy is a great player, and will make the offense around him work well enough this year to get us to the playoffs (as always). However, I can see the argument that last year was an outlier year, where everything was set up for success and those years don't come around too often....

what do you guys think?

Its a great question. Sure, he had some great weapons last year but it also seemed he turned the corner.
Dalton was calling plays at the line like a pro's pro and making great throws downfield. I also have been
hearing great things from the players and coaches this year about Dalton.

I actually think that the additions of Lafell, Boyd and Core could be better than MLJ and Sanu was for us.

Plus Kroft is no longer a rookie and will be getting starter reps this year. Chance for him to really get some
chemistry down with Dalton. Could be an even better year for Dalton especially if the OL can block well for
him and open up holes for Gio and Hill.

It is just my opinion but i think Dalton turned the corner.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I actually think that the additions of Lafell, Boyd and Core could be better than MLJ and Sanu was for us.

I'd take any of those 3 over Sanu (though I'm not quite as sold on Core), but I'm wondering why we (and other teams) were attempting to sign MLJ for 5+ million when Lafell could be had at the same time for a fraction of that.  

Lafell is as good, or even better than MLJ but there we were trying our damnedest to spend over twice as much on the inferior player?  It just don't add up!
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 03:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd take any of those 3 over Sanu (though I'm not quite as sold on Core), but I'm wondering why we (and other teams) were attempting to sign MLJ for 5+ million when Lafell could be had at the same time for a fraction of that.  

Lafell is as good, or even better than MLJ but there we were trying our damnedest to spend over twice as much on the inferior player?  It just don't add up!

Because LaFell didn't hit free agency until all the teams spent most if not all of their free agency money, and Jones was on the market at the very start.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 03:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd take any of those 3 over Sanu (though I'm not quite as sold on Core), but I'm wondering why we (and other teams) were attempting to sign MLJ for 5+ million when Lafell could be had at the same time for a fraction of that.  

Let Brownshoe come on here and tell you about how Lafells value dropped by 800% because he hit free agency a month late.
Reply/Quote
My timing was impeccable.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 03:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Let Brownshoe come on here and tell you about how Lafells value dropped by 800% because he hit free agency a month late.

Because that's how free agency works?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 03:14 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Because that's how free agency works?

I deferred his question to you did I not? ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

Same here on Sanu, i liked the guy but his hands and ability to seperate were extremely suspect.

Core needs to clean up his route running for sure.

Good question, i just think the FO was just trying to be loyal and trying to keep the WR core in tact.

MLJ is talented and a bit younger than Lafell. But the production goes Lafell's way IMO. Lafell is a big body like
Sanu with better speed and more experience and with Boyd in the Slot and Green getting all the attention one of
either Lafell, Boyd, Kroft or even Core could see a lot of balls coming their way.

All can catch pretty well especially Boyd. Sure makes a QB feel better when the WR doesn't drop the ball.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 03:10 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Because LaFell didn't hit free agency until all the teams spent most if not all of their free agency money, and Jones was on the market at the very start.

The Patriots released Lafell on March 2nd
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5188/brandon-lafell

The Lions signed MLJ on March 9th
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7503/marvin-jones

The Falcons signed Sanu on March 10th
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7433/mohamed-sanu

I realize things move quickly in the NFL, but Lafell was available while multiple teams, including the Bengals, were trying to sign MLJ and/or Sanu.  Again, Lafell COULD be better than MLJ but I feel like we're kind of sitting here trying to convince ourselves that we totally like the silver medal we won more than that ugly gold one we wanted until we came in 2nd.

Seriously, am I missing something obvious? It LOOKS to me like Lafell was clearly available when the scramble for those 2 WRs we don't care about losing were snapped up by other teams.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 03:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Patriots released Lafell on March 2nd
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5188/brandon-lafell

The Lions signed MLJ on March 9th
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7503/marvin-jones

The Falcons signed Sanu on March 10th
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7433/mohamed-sanu

I realize things move quickly in the NFL, but Lafell was available while multiple teams, including the Bengals, were trying to sign MLJ and/or Sanu.  Again, Lafell COULD be better than MLJ but I feel like we're kind of sitting here trying to convince ourselves that we totally like the silver medal we won more than that ugly gold one we wanted until we came in 2nd.

To be fair Lafell was coming off of injury and a rough year cause of it...
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 03:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: To be fair Lafell was coming off of injury and a rough year cause of it...

So basically the Bengals and other teams were skeptical of Lafell for the same reasons I've cited and occasionally been criticized for stating?  Damn, just call me Duke flippin' Tobin!
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 03:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So basically the Bengals and other teams were skeptical of Lafell for the same reasons I've cited and occasionally been criticized for stating?  Damn, just call me Duke flippin' Tobin!

Haha

Well i wouldn't say skeptical but i think we would try to keep our own before looking outside.

Bottom line, Lafell should be a good grab for us since he is all healed up and looking to get back to what he was prior injury.

But this is not a sure thing for sure. Mellow
Reply/Quote