Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton, Corner Turned or Weapons Gone?
(06-17-2016, 02:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Actually I do think they were idiots for offering MLJ 9+ million per (if that actually happened). I realize I'm just a lowly fan, but I just don't see why you'd pay a guy THAT much for 65-800-4 production when we've gotten that type of production out of Jerome friggin Simpson when Dalton was a rook.

I'll take 700 yards and 2-3 more drops to save 6 million this year and several million over the next few seasons. The potential positives outweigh the potential negatives by far IMO.

It's possible we wouldn't have extended Gio had MLJ received such a ridiculous contract here. Maybe we let Eifert walk. Dansby probably isn't here.

I almost understand the Lions paying him that, because they pass more than any other team and MLJ's role will probably match the contract size. In Cincy though, he was good for 700-800 yards as (arguably) the 3rd option. It just wasn't smart money to pay $9 million per for that.

That's not me trying to justify losing him after the fact, either. I would've said the same thing in February. MLJ may be slightly better, but no way in heck is he $6 million per better. LaFell looks like a way better value to me, and hopefully Boyd is ready to take over next year. I love how things turned out.

I agree with this. 9 million for MLJ HERE, would be a bad investment. I was surprised they came out and said they offered as much as the Lions dead... I would have kept that hush hush.

On the flip side, I can see MLJ getting 1100 yards and 8 TDs in Detroit if him an Stafford have a good year. He may have been worth the money for them... maybe.

Either way, the only thing that is confusing about the situation is why a different team didn't come in and snipe Lafell away from us. Sure, teams had spent money on the big name WR FAs available, but I still am amazed some other team didn't find Lafell to be a stop gap player at the WR position for 2-4 million.

There are plenty of teams out there that could make use of Lafell, and it's not like we broke the bank signing him. As I said earlier in this thread, maybe Lafell was picky, and wanted to go to a contender with a good QB. I hope that's the case.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I think Dalton will take a step back next year. Not a huge step back, but a step back.

Dalton had a career year last year, and I just dont see him putting up those kinds of numbers again, especially with some of the weapons that he lost.

I think Dalton resembles much of the guy he was in 2013 and 2014. A good quarterback, not great, who will always give you a chance to win.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 05:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Honestly, I think Dalton will take a step back next year. Not a huge step back, but a step back.

Dalton had a career year last year, and I just dont see him putting up those kinds of numbers again, especially with some of the weapons that he lost.

I think Dalton resembles much of the guy he was in 2013 and 2014. A good quarterback, not great, who will always give you a chance to win.

He'll look closer to '15 than previous years. Not worried about regression.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 05:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Honestly, I think Dalton will take a step back next year. Not a huge step back, but a step back.

I guess it depends on how the new weapons play but i don't think Dalton will regress as Jeremy says.

He improved in every aspect of the game last year. It wasn't all his weapons that made him good.

Plus, it also depends on how good Ogbuehi fills that RT spot. He looked great last year in limited time.

We will see...
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 10:12 PM)jeremydc Wrote: He'll look closer to '15 than previous years. Not worried about regression.

I find it almost impossible that Dalton plays as well this year as he did last year. Every athlete has a career year, and I think Daltons was last season. 

I still think hes good this year, just not as good as last year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Dalton will continue to surprise people with how well he plays. He seems to improve his game almost every year, and I doubt he will regress in this upcoming season. Dalton has shown from day 1 that he's a very smart player, so I doubt the changes from this offseason will affect him as much as some people act like.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dalton has improved every year he has been in the League, regardless of who is calling the plays, or catching the ball. I see no reason to believe that won't continue into 2016.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 11:27 AM)JungleGal50 Wrote: Dalton has improved every year he has been in the League, regardless of who is calling the plays, or catching the ball.    I see no reason to believe that won't continue into 2016.

I think Dalton will be pretty good this year, but what you're saying here isn't exactly true.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 11:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think Dalton will be pretty good this year, but what you're saying here isn't exactly true.

Ya, I would consider 2013-2014 a regression. Yet, not sure I can completely blame that on Dalton.

I think various aspects of his game have improved each year. 2014 his leadership took a step forward, getting the team to the playoffs in a down year.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 11:37 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya, I would consider 2013-2014 a regression. Yet, not sure I can completely blame that on Dalton.

I think various aspects of his game have improved each year. 2014 his leadership took a step forward, getting the team to the playoffs in a down year.

How was 2013 a regression?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 11:37 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya, I would consider 2013-2014 a regression. Yet, not sure I can completely blame that on Dalton.

Right, I'm just pointing out that he's not better every year, per se and that he, like almost every QB, doesn't put up the same numbers regardless of who is on offense with him.  Let's be reasonable here!
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 11:41 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: How was 2013 a regression?

The transition from 2013 to 2014, I did a poor job of writing that out on here.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 11:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, I'm just pointing out that he's not better every year, per se and that he, like almost every QB, doesn't put up the same numbers regardless of who is on offense with him.  Let's be reasonable here!

Well you can make a good case that Dalton lifts up the receivers around him considering that the players who leave for another team never have as good of a year as they did with Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2016, 11:45 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Well you can make a good case that Dalton lifts up the receivers around him considering that the players who leave for another team never have as good of a year as they did with Dalton.

Hey now, Bubba just won the super bowl! Ninja
Reply/Quote