Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6th AFC Playoff spot team has 1 more win than Bengals - must win key tiebreaker games
Two games back of the Steelers & already with a Division game loss, the Bengals may need to Sweep the 2 games with the Steelers to pass them up for the Division. The margin for error may not allow for a Split of 1 and 1 with the Steelers. May have to win both games and of course then some.

That 6th Playoff Wildcard spot isn't as far away though. The Raiders hold it now at 2 and 2. Bengals are 1 and 3. Just a game back in the Win column plus the need of tiebreakers.

Must win some KEY tiebreaker games to move into that Wildcard spot with 5 other AFC teams trailing the Raiders & also at 2 and 2. One win ahead of the Bengals.

It starts with Buffalo this week as possibly a Key tiebreaker game. Buffalo sits at 3 and 1 but must hold off the Patriots at 2 and 2 for their Division or Buffalo could fall into Wildcard consideration.

The Bengals need to rattle off some potential AFC tiebreaker game Wins against the following teams which are on the schedule.

Buffalo 3 and 1
at Jacksonville 2 and 2
at Tennessee 2 and 2
at Denver 3 and 1 - (5th Wildcard holder right now)
at Ravens 2 and 2

Sitting at 1 and 3, the Bengals could end up tied with a few of these teams in the Win column if they somehow get to 9 or 10 wins.

9 or 10 wins could still fall short of a Wildcard spot without the right tiebreaker Win being achieved.

4 of the 5 games above are on the Road making this an Uphill Climb.

They will flat out have to earn it to get in.

Starts and could "effectively" end this Sunday with the Bills if this game ends up being the tiebreaker later.
Reply/Quote
We are definitely not out of the race yet since there are 12 games left, but if we lose Sunday I'm going to go ahead and count us out. We could just as easily be 3-1 and just have bad luck. Like Eifert stepping out of bounds on the easiest TD he will ever have. Or Bullock missing a FG that would have put up more. Just little things. This week will tell us much more and I'll reserve my judgments about this team until then. I will say that our run game looks atrocious but I think that's a product of our offensive line. Gio has looked good and Mixon has had some nice cuts. Hill is.. Hill. Very much so looking forward to it!
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 04:20 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: We are definitely not out of the race yet since there are 12 games left, but if we lose Sunday I'm going to go ahead and count us out. We could just as easily be 3-1 and just have bad luck. Like Eifert stepping out of bounds on the easiest TD he will ever have. Or Bullock missing a FG that would have put up more. Just little things. This week will tell us much more and I'll reserve my judgments about this team until then. I will say that our run game looks atrocious but I think that's a product of our offensive line. Gio has looked good and Mixon has had some nice cuts. Hill is.. Hill. Very much so looking forward to it!

It will likely take 9 or 10 wins to get a Wildcard.

Getting there from 1 and 4 (should they lose to the Bills) would require going 8 and 3 or 9 and 2 the rest of the way.

As you seem to imply, this game is at or near the "must win" category.
Reply/Quote
Yeah...we need probably 10 wins. Maybe 9.

Our only win was against a Cleveland Team that's bad on offense and defense. IF we beat the Bills this week...then I'd be willing to start talking playoffs.

IF we lose to the Bills, we'd have to finish the season 9-2 to get to 10 wins. That's not happening. 8-3 to get to 9 wins. That's not happening.
Reply/Quote
We beat a team that's 2-29 across their last 31 games. 1-19 under their current HC.

I'm not getting too excited that we're going to go on a 10-game streak and shoot into the playoffs. Even picking up 7 wins and hoping we win a tiebreaker isn't going to be easy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 04:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...we need probably 10 wins. Maybe 9.

Our only win was against a Cleveland Team that's bad on offense and defense. IF we beat the Bills this week...then I'd be willing to start talking playoffs.

IF we lose to the Bills, we'd have to finish the season 9-2 to get to 10 wins. That's not happening. 8-3 to get to 9 wins. That's not happening.

I agree.

The Bengals are already backed into a corner.

The Bills have a pretty good coaching Staff and this game is shaping up to be say a 23 to 20 or 20 to 17 type game.

Barely win or barely lose type game.

Season on the line I think, even with a lot of games left.
Reply/Quote
Doubt we're making the playoffs with this current offensive line. Can't wait to see them against Denver ,Von Miller might have 10 sacks himself. Jacksonvilles D -line is no joke and neither is The Bills this week. Plus I doubt Marvin will beat the Steelers once nevermind twice and he definitely won't win a playoff game if we get there.
Reply/Quote
We're not getting a wildcard.

AFCN is pretty bad this year. Look for the division winner to get in at either 8-8 or 9-7 and get bounced real quick.
Reply/Quote
Positives: We are still in it

Negatives: It's mathematically impossible to NOT still be in it after only 4 games
Reply/Quote
Playoffs? Really?

[Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]

Reply/Quote
At this point if you told me that we'd miss out on the playoffs but Mixon, Ross, and our young guys on defense developed this year...I'd consider that a positive year.

Beating the Browns has give us some optimism that isn't warranted. I mean we beat a team that won TWICE in their last 31 games. TWO WINS!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 03:32 PM)depthchart Wrote: Two games back of the Steelers & already with a Division game loss, the Bengals may need to Sweep the 2 games with the Steelers to pass them up for the Division. The margin for error may not allow for a Split of 1 and 1 with the Steelers. May have to win both games and of course then some.

That 6th Playoff Wildcard spot isn't as far away though. The Raiders hold it now at 2 and 2. Bengals are 1 and 3. Just a game back in the Win column plus the need of tiebreakers.

Must win some KEY tiebreaker games to move into that Wildcard spot with 5 other AFC teams trailing the Raiders & also at 2 and 2. One win ahead of the Bengals.

It starts with Buffalo this week as possibly a Key tiebreaker game. Buffalo sits at 3 and 1 but must hold off the Patriots at 2 and 2 for their Division or Buffalo could fall into Wildcard consideration.

The Bengals need to rattle off some potential AFC tiebreaker game Wins against the following teams which are on the schedule.

Buffalo 3 and 1
at Jacksonville 2 and 2
at Tennessee 2 and 2
at Denver 3 and 1 - (5th Wildcard holder right now)
at Ravens 2 and 2

Sitting at 1 and 3, the Bengals could end up tied with a few of these teams in the Win column if they somehow get to 9 or 10 wins.

9 or 10 wins could still fall short of a Wildcard spot without the right tiebreaker Win being achieved.

4 of the 5 games above are on the Road making this an Uphill Climb.

They will flat out have to earn it to get in.

Starts and could "effectively" end this Sunday with the Bills if this game ends up being the tiebreaker later.

You know the chips are down when you start to hear "tiebreakers", "must win", "games back", etc after only 4 games into the season.

Face it, Marv is at the helm.

I could be really mean to Marv right now, but I won't. This is his final year here is my guess.

Reply/Quote
Who knows what the spin/puppet masters at NFL.com have in store for us. They might have us roll over and die or have the rest of the teams on our schedule roll over, but whatever happens I feel confident it's been predetermined. One thing you can count on is the good company man Marvin IF We get back to the playoffs ain't going anywhere. The league likes it's yesmen. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 08:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: You know the chips are down when you start to hear "tiebreakers", "must win", "games back", etc after only 4 games into the season.

Face it, Marv is at the helm.

I could be really mean to Marv right now, but I won't. This is his final year here is my guess.

The Stars seem aligned for a below .500 or 8 and 8 season.

I think Marvin is sweating bullets right now for his job.

Mike Brown may soon be tossing and turning at night over the decision he will have to make regarding getting a New Head Coach or not.

Instead of counting Sheep at night to go to sleep, Mike may be counting little Marvin's. Tongue
Reply/Quote
Sorry for my pessimism here but... our ONE win was... the... browns...
Reply/Quote
So.......you're telling me there's a chance? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Count me as one of those who doesn't want us to make the playoffs. I'm done with Marvin and I am reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hoping for whatever it takes to get rid of him.

I may crack and have my normal optimism shine through, but rest assured, I'll take a losing season if it's also the LAST season of Marvin Lewis as HC of the Bengals.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 03:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Count me as one of those who doesn't want us to make the playoffs. I'm done with Marvin and I am reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hoping for whatever it takes to get rid of him.

I may crack and have my normal optimism shine through, but rest assured, I'll take a losing season if it's also the LAST season of Marvin Lewis as HC of the Bengals.

You started another thread that we'd be 4-0 with Lazor as the OC all year.

Now in this thread you don't want us to make the playoffs and want Marvin gone.

If Marvin is such an issue, how would be we 4-0 with a different OC?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2017, 04:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You started another thread that we'd be 4-0 with Lazor as the OC all year.

Now in this thread you don't want us to make the playoffs and want Marvin gone.

If Marvin is such an issue, how would be we 4-0 with a different OC?

Pretty easy, we would of had a much better Offense through 4 games...

Marv needs to go though regardless, him being a Defensive minded coach telling the OC to be conservative is reason enough.

Let alone all the other reasons.
Reply/Quote