Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy Dalton fanboy
That’s been me for a while now. I witnessed him helping to bring some “reaching the playoffs” consistency to a franchise and a fan base that was starving for it. I saw him appear to break into some elite categories in 2015. I saw potential.

But that has since disappeared. I’m over it. I’m ready to move on. But where am I moving on to?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Dwayne Haskins. Now anyone and everyone that cannot stand Ohio state, take the blinders off for a moment. The kid is good. Good head on his shoulders, elite arm strength, breaks down man and zone coverages well, and on top of that has just enough mobility to be able to escape the pocket and make plays. He is going to play on sundays, and he is going to play well. So why not here?

The problem is that it would take losing out to even have a remote shot at getting him. But the kid can play and I think he could bring some serious excitement to Cincinnati for a very long time. He could be special.

I say we go for it.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 11:59 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: That’s been me for a while now. I witnessed him helping to bring some “reaching the playoffs” consistency to a franchise and a fan base that was starving for it. I saw him appear to break into some elite categories in 2015. I saw potential.

But that has since disappeared. I’m over it. I’m ready to move on. But where am I moving on to?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Dwayne Haskins. Now anyone and everyone that cannot stand Ohio state, take the blinders off for a moment. The kid is good. Good head on his shoulders, elite arm strength, breaks down man and zone coverages well, and on top of that has just enough mobility to be able to escape the pocket and make plays. He is going to play on sundays, and he is going to play well. So why not here?

The problem is that it would take losing out to even have a remote shot at getting him. But the kid can play and I think he could bring some serious excitement to Cincinnati for a very long time. He could be special.

I say we go for it.

Isn't he just a redshirt sophomore?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:04 PM)McC Wrote: Isn't he just a redshirt sophomore?

Yes, 3 years removed from HS, which fulfills the NFL requirement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, 3 years removed from HS, which fulfills the NFL requirement.

Right. And I do believe he will enter the draft this season.

It’s time to shake things up.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 11:59 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: That’s been me for a while now. I witnessed him helping to bring some “reaching the playoffs” consistency to a franchise and a fan base that was starving for it. I saw him appear to break into some elite categories in 2015. I saw potential.

I say we go for it.
Joe Montana couldn't be very good with this o-line. The injuries to the top two TEs. A bust at #2 receiver. The offense hasn't been very good but to point the finger at only AD is unfair. 
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:11 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Joe Montana couldn't be very good with this o-line. The injuries to the top two TEs. A bust at #2 receiver. The offense hasn't been very good but to point the finger at only AD is unfair. 

I’m certainly not only pointing at Andy. I know full well that a single QB change isn’t the magic fix. The team has a ton of things wrong with it. But why, if the opportunity would present itself, would you not want to draft a kid with the talent Haskins has? Andy has had his chance here, and he would get another chance somewhere else. But this team needs a makeover. First in coaching and then, in my opinion, at QB.

And quite frankly, I think the players are just as ready for it as I am.

Reply/Quote
Haskins will end up being QB1 when it’s all said and done and we won’t be drafting high enough to get there. Next years class is way better than this one replace Marvin this year and get a year of Dalton with a new coach. If your still not happy you have a much better selection to work from next season.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: Haskins will end up being QB1 when it’s all said and done and we won’t be drafting high enough to get there. Next years class is way better than this one replace Marvin this year and get a year of Dalton with a new coach. If your still not happy you have a much better selection to work from next  season.

I agree.  Ride with Andy another year.  Fix the coaching and the OLine and the defense while you're getting ready for the next QB.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:24 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I’m certainly not only pointing at Andy. I know full well that a single QB change isn’t the magic fix. The team has a ton of things wrong with it. But why, if the opportunity would present itself, would you not want to draft a kid with the talent Haskins has? Andy has had his chance here, and he would get another chance somewhere else.  But this team needs a makeover. First in coaching and then, in my opinion, at QB.

And quite frankly, I think the players  are just as ready for it as I am.

The good thing about Haskins is he sat before getting his chance.

Unlike McCarron I think he'd sit and perform when needed.

Being a 1st round QB and being a 5th round selected QB are two different beasts.

Keep Dalton because he's not an expensive vet and prep or switch to Haskins at some point.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:10 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Right. And I do believe he will enter the draft this season.

It’s time to shake things up.

I think that if you consider drafting a new franchise QB, then you have to be serious about blowing the current one up.  As in, trading Andy and AJ for quality, proven OL and high picks.  I say this because if you put Haskins behind a shitty OL, you run the risk of ruining him.  I've watched a LOT of Haskins this season.  Under heavy pressure, he get's rattled, makes poor throws and some bad decisions.  

While he's improved greatly over the course of this season, some of those negative qualities still showed up for a few possessions, in last night's game.  I realize that the counter argument is that ANY rookie QB is going to have those same sort of growing pains.  However, I feel like throwing a guy with only one season as a big time starter out there behind a crappy OL could be catastrophic to both the QB and the Bengals team.

Now if your plan is to draft him, and develop him for a year or two behind Andy, then you're not going to draft that franchise LT or LB that this team so desperately needs right now.  If you're going to go that route, you need to have a plan to trade for some extra picks, as we know what to expect from free agency signings.  That leaves AJ Green as the only truly valuable trade piece to shop.  Are we ready to explore that route?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:34 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The good thing about Haskins is he sat before getting his chance.

Unlike McCarron I think he'd sit and perform when needed.

Being a 1st round QB and being a 5th round selected QB are two different beasts.

Keep Dalton because he's not an expensive vet and prep or switch to Haskins at some point.

This is kinda the vision I see. Although if someone came calling for a trade offer for Dalton, I’m listening.

Reply/Quote
Anyone that breaks a major record in the Big10 held by Drew Brees should immediately be given some thought.

If he is there when we pick, I say go for it. He can sit a year behind Andy and wait until the following the year to start.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that if you consider drafting a new franchise QB, then you have to be serious about blowing the current one up.  As in, trading Andy and AJ for quality, proven OL and high picks.  I say this because if you put Haskins behind a shitty OL, you run the risk of ruining him.  I've watched a LOT of Haskins this season.  Under heavy pressure, he get's rattled, makes poor throws and some bad decisions.  

While he's improved greatly over the course of this season, some of those negative qualities still showed up for a few possessions, in last night's game.  I realize that the counter argument is that ANY rookie QB is going to have those same sort of growing pains.  However, I feel like throwing a guy with only one season as a big time starter out there behind a crappy OL could be catastrophic to both the QB and the Bengals team.

Now if your plan is to draft him, and develop him for a year or two behind Andy, then you're not going to draft that franchise LT or LB that this team so desperately needs right now.  If you're going to go that route, you need to have a plan to trade for some extra picks, as we know what to expect from free agency signings.  That leaves AJ Green as the only truly valuable trade piece to shop.  Are we ready to explore that route?

I’ve thought about this and I might be ready to explore trading AJ. Like it or not, his stock is going to slowly begin to fall. Selling high means selling now. Grab some high picks and start reloading the toolbox. I think a rebuild is imminent, so why continue putting it off?

Reply/Quote
How do we get to pick 1 from pick 15? That’s what I’m struggling with. We have too many needs at LB and O line to mortgage multiple 1st and 2nd round picks.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: How do we get to pick 1 from pick 15? That’s what I’m struggling with. We have too many needs at LB and O line to mortgage multiple 1st and 2nd round picks.

Yeah I’m aware it’s probably not a thing that the bengals will even have a chance to see through. It really would require not winning another game and even then we may not have a crack at him. And while I think losing out is possible with this team, I don’t think it is probable.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: How do we get to pick 1 from pick 15? That’s what I’m struggling with. We have too many needs at LB and O line to mortgage multiple 1st and 2nd round picks.

Is he projected to be drafted 1? I've heard of another Buckeye going 1 overall possibly though.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:43 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Yeah I’m aware it’s probably not a thing that the bengals will even have a chance to see through. It really would require not winning another game and even then we may not have a crack at him. And while I think losomgnout is possible with this team, I do t think it is probable.

Jake Fromm and Tua both come out next year so we have better odds. There is one wildcard, apparently reports yesterday were that Kylar Murray’s family has been telling NFL teams he is open to playing QB in the NFL. If he is open to being drafted he will be in the conversation with Haskins as people try to find the next Mahones.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:45 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Is he projected to be drafted 1? I've heard of another Buckeye going 1 overall possibly though.

He will be QB1 which means whoever is at 1 if they don’t need a QB will consider moving back so someone can get him. It happens every year with QBs.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: Haskins will end up being QB1 when it’s all said and done and we won’t be drafting high enough to get there. Next years class is way better than this one replace Marvin this year and get a year of Dalton with a new coach. If your still not happy you have a much better selection to work from next  season.

Agreed

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2018, 12:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: He will be QB1 which means whoever is at 1 if they don’t need a QB will consider moving back so someone can get him. It happens every year with QBs.

As of now I’ve seen him projected at 5 to the raiders, and kiper has him at 11 but can’t temember the team.

If the bengals lose out (which is possible) it could put them at striking distance to go get him.

Look I know it isn’t going to happen, but man would I be happy if it did.

Reply/Quote