Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.17 Average
Andy Dalton is a Quitter
(05-01-2020, 11:03 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I think he's just pointing out a double-standard Bengals fans have towards 2 quitters. One did so publicly, the other privately.

Nothing he typed or wrote had any butthurt to it. That's your butthurtedness coming through after having the Quitter2.0 realization. You're projecting your hurt onto him.

You sound butthurt by my supposed butthurtedness (I could do this all day).

It's ok, here is a tissue.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 05:47 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Interesting how similar actions can be viewed based on perception....

Carson = Did his quitting in a very public way, shaming the org in an effort to force change for the good to win.

Dalton: Did his quitting behind closed doors (other than the 1 or 2 interviews) in an effort to force change and influence his own playing time for personal gain.

Put down the crack pipe, as Palmer did no such thing.  His trade request only became public through leaks to the media and he refused to discuss the situation until after he retired 7 years later.

In no way does that qualify as "quitting in a very public way", nor was it "shaming the org in an effort to force change for the good to win"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why are we arguing over the quitter? It was almost a decade ago.

Andy was nothing but a team player here. When the writing on the wall became clear he and the team agreed to make a move in the off season. Both sides did their part and Andy gets to choose his next employer. I wish we could have traded him for something but the market wasn't there. What else is there to say about it? Certainly not enough to fill 10 pages of this forum.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 10:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Your profile picture is entirely appropriate considering a lot of of your posts in this thread...

[Image: JQOKADANZXYRC6CUZ4K22YBHIU.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 11:12 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Put down the crack pipe, as Palmer did no such thing.  His trade request only became public through leaks to the media and he refused to discuss the situation until after he retired 7 years later.

In no way does that qualify as "quitting in a very public way", nor was it "shaming the org in an effort to force change for the good to win"

I agree with you. But, unfortunately, most don't remember it this way.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 10:01 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Asking for his release = quitting

No it does not.

You can't just make up stuff and claim it is true.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 09:55 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Graduate transfer. Graduated from Ohio State in 3 years. Earned his master's at LSU.

Do you think universities should control student athletes after they graduate?

Non Sequitur.

He was still under scholarship to play football at OSU.  Absolutely nothing changed just because he got his degree. Lots of guys graduate early and continue to play at the same school while enrolled in grad school.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 10:04 AM)PDub80 Wrote: That was exactly my response. Burrow continued to compete and graduated. To continue to play he HAD to move on per NCAA rules.

Hilarious 

Thanks once again for proving exactly how much you know.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 04:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely different situations and very non classy by you.

Well class recognizes class and there's the problem.

All fanbases have "those fans" though and this one is no different.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I don't know why I'm going to waste my time, but here goes nothing.

So a few people who have been very vocal about how much they dislike Dalton, constantly say he's horrible, and have wished he was gone for at least a couple of seasons have gotten their wish. However, instead of being happy about that, they want to try to further tear him down in hopes of turning more people against the guy that they have wanted gone and is now gone.

As for last season, the Bengals played it poorly. They wanted to see what they had in Finley, which is totally fine. However, had they announced they were making the change a week earlier they may have been able to find a market to trade Dalton. While not confirmed, there were rumors that the Bears were interested last season. They could've cleared Dalton's salary and gained additional draft capital but decided to play it differently. True, Dalton asked for a trade but he did not demand it. He did not refuse to play for the team. He said he would help Finley. I wouldn't call that quitting. He stayed and played.

As for the offseason, the Bengals showed their hand. They could've received the 4th rounder from the Bears that they gave for Foles. We don't now why they didn't take it. Either the team felt it was too low of a pick or maybe Dalton didn't want to go there. Again, this was misplayed. However, the team goes out and is very active in free agency. Spending in excess of $125m to try and improve the team. They made cuts and went way outside of their usual approach.

After free agency and the draft, the team doesn't have enough to sign all of their draft picks. They had no trade leverage and were unable to trade Dalton. Everyone knew he HAD to go. If nothing else, his money had to come off the books to sign the draft picks. The team was going to have to release him either way, he sped up the process by asking for his release. To label him a quitter still seems a stretch. Him coming off the books allows the team to sign their draft picks, he also called and welcomed Burrow to the team, and according to Ken Anderson said he was willing to be Burrow's back up.

As for the last part, I trust what Ken Anderson says much more than the biased and opinionated posts of the people on this board. If he says Andy said he was willing to back up Burrow, I believe Andy said that. So yet again, he was willing to accept a back role but asked to released. He didn't say he wouldn't play for the team. He didn't say he wouldn't show up. He said he would be the back up but asked for his release which had to happen anyway.

I'll be honest, I don't know if there was any talk of restructuring his deal. I don't think anyone has heard anything about that. I also don't know how that would work with it being the last year of Andy's deal. There's no future years to push money to, so would it stand to reason he would have to be released to be re-signed to a lower number? For all we know if Andy doesn't find somewhere he wants to go, maybe he comes back on a cheap 1 year deal to back up Burrow after all.

I shouldn't have bothered because those of you who really detest the guy are going to continue to put him down regardless. He isn't a quitter and didn't quit on the Bengals. His situation in nothing at all like what happened with Palmer. Continue to bash away though. Evidently it makes you feel better about yourself to put this guy down for some reason.
Reply/Quote
Dude this posts again just reminds me how sorry soft and selfish bengal fans can be. Smh
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling some fans would be hating Dalton on the sidelines holding a clipboard.

It wouldn't matter if it was 17 million or a Wendy's gift card as his salary.

If Burrow struggled Andy would probably be the team's albatross around his neck.

Andy Dalton is so hated by some select fans by his hair color alone.

So if he decided to "turn the page", as what was echoed in the "Andy As A Backup" post, that we as fans should do on this very message board...  why would he be labeled a quitter?

Anyway if Mike Brown wanted Dalton to be on the team , he would've dug his heels in to keep him.

The writing was on the wall for the world to see.

Why be butt-hurt that Dalton read it loud and clear and they had an amicable agreement?

Andy had a new coach that did nothing to help him, benched him, asked him to come back, changed the offense and won some games, then turned round burned the 1st overall pick on the worlds most loved college QB.

What the F do you expect ?  I need a drink now. Andy is not a victim, but shit, he doesn't have to be a damn saint either.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 11:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Hilarious 

Thanks once again for proving exactly how much you know.

I read the rules incorrectly. He was allowed to transfer to pursue his graduate degree and not sit out a year. He had 2 years left because he graduated in 3.

So, BURROW finished his degree and pursued a graduate degree elsewhere. That is NOT quitting OSU for football reasons. While I misread the rule on how many yearsbyears you can play, that doesn't change the fact that he stayed through graduation at OSU.

Interestingly enough, AD chose to ask for his release (quit) rather than wait for the Bengals to trade him over the summer as camps, preseason games, & positions open up.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No it does not.

You can't just make up stuff and claim it is true.

Yes it does. You're arguing semantics.

If you ask for a divorce you are quitting a marriage. 
If you are offered a layoff and accept it you are quitting.

Asking to leave a team to pursue another opportunity= quitting.

To call it anything else is idiotic.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 11:07 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: You sound butthurt by my supposed butthurtedness (I could do this all day).

It's ok, here is a tissue.

No, dude. You saying dumb stuff and then just trying go all "I'm rubber you're glue" doesn't work in a debate. You accusing OP of being butt hurt with ZERO to back it up was just name calling and basically as dumb as when you accused him of loving USC - with nothing to back it up. Looks like a mod deleted that post of yours (because it was dumb) and my response where I quoted it (because it pooped on you).

And keep the tissue. You're clearly using them. Maybe there's a fan fiction forum out there for you and your imaginary thoughts?
Reply/Quote
I cannot WAIT for the well of wishes to dry up when AD signs with the Steelers. The melting down by Dalton backers will = Krakatoa x Vesuvius x Chernobyl

I'm genuinely hoping he goes to Pittsburgh
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 12:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I cannot WAIT for the well of wishes to dry up when AD signs with the Steelers. The melting down by Dalton backers will = Krakatoa x Vesuvius x Chernobyl

I'm genuinely hoping he goes to Pittsburgh

This right here clearly shows this has nothing to do with Bengals football.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 11:56 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I don't know why I'm going to waste my time, but here goes nothing.

So a few people who have been very vocal about how much they dislike Dalton, constantly say he's horrible, and have wished he was gone for at least a couple of seasons have gotten their wish. However, instead of being happy about that, they want to try to further tear him down in hopes of turning more people against the guy that they have wanted gone and is now gone.

As for last season, the Bengals played it poorly. They wanted to see what they had in Finley, which is totally fine. However, had they announced they were making the change a week earlier they may have been able to find a market to trade Dalton. While not confirmed, there were rumors that the Bears were interested last season. They could've cleared Dalton's salary and gained additional draft capital but decided to play it differently. True, Dalton asked for a trade but he did not demand it. He did not refuse to play for the team. He said he would help Finley. I wouldn't call that quitting. He stayed and played.

As for the offseason, the Bengals showed their hand. They could've received the 4th rounder from the Bears that they gave for Foles. We don't now why they didn't take it. Either the team felt it was too low of a pick or maybe Dalton didn't want to go there. Again, this was misplayed. However, the team goes out and is very active in free agency. Spending in excess of $125m to try and improve the team. They made cuts and went way outside of their usual approach.

After free agency and the draft, the team doesn't have enough to sign all of their draft picks. They had no trade leverage and were unable to trade Dalton. Everyone knew he HAD to go. If nothing else, his money had to come off the books to sign the draft picks. The team was going to have to release him either way, he sped up the process by asking for his release. To label him a quitter still seems a stretch. Him coming off the books allows the team to sign their draft picks, he also called and welcomed Burrow to the team, and according to Ken Anderson said he was willing to be Burrow's back up.

As for the last part, I trust what Ken Anderson says much more than the biased and opinionated posts of the people on this board. If he says Andy said he was willing to back up Burrow, I believe Andy said that. So yet again, he was willing to accept a back role but asked to released. He didn't say he wouldn't play for the team. He didn't say he wouldn't show up. He said he would be the back up but asked for his release which had to happen anyway.

I'll be honest, I don't know if there was any talk of restructuring his deal. I don't think anyone has heard anything about that. I also don't know how that would work with it being the last year of Andy's deal. There's no future years to push money to, so would it stand to reason he would have to be released to be re-signed to a lower number? For all we know if Andy doesn't find somewhere he wants to go, maybe he comes back on a cheap 1 year deal to back up Burrow after all.

I shouldn't have bothered because those of you who really detest the guy are going to continue to put him down regardless. He isn't a quitter and didn't quit on the Bengals. His situation in nothing at all like what happened with Palmer. Continue to bash away though. Evidently it makes you feel better about yourself to put this guy down for some reason.
Rep. Perfect response.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 12:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This right here clearly shows this has nothing to do with Bengals football.

Oh, please. Totally not true. If that were true, then no thread in JN could discuss exBengals and the teams they may or may not go to. Bengals play the Steelers. Dalton and Steelers have been linked as possible landing spot.

This is a weak attempt to get the thread closed because you don't like the facts behind it.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 12:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This right here clearly shows this has nothing to do with Bengals football.

Exactly. Exposed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote