Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Andy Dalton is for real
(09-13-2016, 12:50 AM)treee Wrote: I'd say Dalton is really really good at intermediate routes. If it is between 6 and 20 yards, you can bet he'll zip it right on target more often than not. I still wish he'd push his deep balls a little further. On both the deep ball to Lafell and Green they had to slow up a little bit. His short passes were way off early yesterday but he was running for his life. Once he settled down his short stuff was on point too.

LaFell didn't slow down at all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 01:15 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: LaFell didn't slow down at all.

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Andy-Dalton-goes-deep-to-Brandon-LaFell-for-49-yards/cfd5167f-75ee-4e81-8a34-b097f52a3b8c

It looks to me like he clearly had to wait up on the ball instead of being able to catch the football in full stride.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:02 AM)treee Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Andy-Dalton-goes-deep-to-Brandon-LaFell-for-49-yards/cfd5167f-75ee-4e81-8a34-b097f52a3b8c

It looks to me like he clearly had to wait up on the ball instead of being able to catch the football in full stride.

And AJ hasn't ever been overthrown on a pass > 35 yds that I can remember.   Bottom line is Treee is right, he needs to push the ball further on deep passes. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:02 AM)treee Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Andy-Dalton-goes-deep-to-Brandon-LaFell-for-49-yards/cfd5167f-75ee-4e81-8a34-b097f52a3b8c

What are you talking about? He was running the same speed pretty much the whole time.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 03:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Great game from Andy.  I think it's fair to say now that he is one of the better QB's in the league, and firmly belongs in the group of QB's that fall right behind the elite vets that are Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Rapes McGee.  Andy is deserving of being mentioned with the Russel Wilson's, Cam Newton's and Andrew Luck's of the league.

Given his age, and contract, he very well be the very best value in all football.  Not to mention, he seems like a pretty incredible guy as well.  I'm glad to have him.

Agree 100%.  He could anticipate and throw the deep ball a bit further, but he's a great value and we couldn't replace him at those $ by anyone in the league. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:04 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: And AJ hasn't ever been overthrown on a pass > 35 yds that I can remember.   Bottom line is Treee is right, he needs to push the ball further on deep passes. 

He has about the same over throws as he does under throws... Not very many.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:12 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: What are you talking about? He was running the same speed pretty much the whole time.

I disagree.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:12 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: He has about the same over throws as he does under throws... Not very many.

He has the tendency to overthrow short passes, especially at the beginning of games.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:12 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: What are you talking about? He was running the same speed pretty much the whole time.

I saw a hitch on that last step, basically the only one in frame there.   Just seems like all too often our WR are going up and getting contact by DBs able to catch up on the last couple of steps.  Might be the nature of the beast with a QB that has such a quick release.  Not be all his fault if it's an oline issue.  Hell, WRs might be slower in practice.  I don't know what is causing it.  But I would love to see AJ catch more deep balls in stride and prance into the endzone rather than having to protect the catch and keep his balance.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 04:14 PM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: Yep. You beat me to it. As I said above, so far this year (one week), we are at the top for long pass plays.  In the past, not so much. 

Pass plays of 40+ yards.

2011- T 8th 
2012- T 3rd
2013- T 1st
2014- T 18th
2015- T 8th

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:18 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I saw a hitch on that last step, basically the only one in frame there.   Just seems like all too often our WR are going up and getting contact by DBs able to catch up on the last couple of steps.  Might be the nature of the beast with a QB that has such a quick release.  Not be all his fault if it's an oline issue.  Hell, WRs might be slower in practice.  I don't know what is causing it.  But I would love to see AJ catch more deep balls in stride and prance into the endzone rather than having to protect the catch and keep his balance.  

And if you watch his body language he has to turn his hips a couple steps before the ball gets there in order to catch it rather than it dropping in over his shoulder like a prototypical deep ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:18 AM)treee Wrote: He has the tendency to overthrow short passes, especially at the beginning of games.

BINGO BANGO BONGO.  And short over throws are VERY different from long underthrows.  Ask Gio how those work out for him. 
Reply/Quote
LaFell did not go back or slow down or break stride - all he did was what any WR is supposed to do which is locate the ball in the air. Same thing AJ does.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:21 AM)treee Wrote: And if you watch his body language he has to turn his hips a couple steps before the ball gets there in order to catch it rather than it dropping in over his shoulder like a prototypical deep ball.

He has to turn his hips to make sure he catches the ball.... 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:21 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: BINGO BANGO BONGO.  And short over throws are VERY different from long underthrows.  Ask Gio how those work out for him. 

Dalton has been very accurate his whole career. He doesn't overthrow or underthrow very much and when he does he does them both at about the same %. He doesn't overthrow on short routes that often either.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:26 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: He has to turn his hips to make sure he catches the ball.... 

Right, and I'm saying he wouldn't have to if the ball was thrown further. He could keep his hips pointed downfield and catch it over his shoulder. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:40 AM)treee Wrote: Right, and I'm saying he wouldn't have to if the ball was thrown further. He could keep his hips pointed downfield and catch it over his shoulder.
You do know he has to look for the ball too? Dalton threw that ball pretty much perfectly. If he threw it further then he would have had to reach out for it. It was right at his chest. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 02:48 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: You do know he has to look for the ball too? Dalton threw that ball pretty much perfectly. If he threw it further then he would have had to reach out for it. It was right at his chest. 

No I didn't know he had to look for the ball. I thought he could just Jedi-catch it without a glance. And right at his chest? Are you kidding me? Of course the ball hit his damn chest he slowed down and turned his hips so the the ball could catch up with him. Have you seriously never seen a WR catch a pass in stride before? Are you trolling me? 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 03:03 AM)treee Wrote: No I didn't know he had to look for the ball. I thought he could just Jedi-catch it without a glance. And right at his chest? Are you kidding me? Of course the ball hit his damn chest he slowed down and turned his hips so the the ball could catch up with him. Have you seriously never seen a WR catch a pass in stride before? Are you trolling me? 

He didn't slow down. He turned his hips to look for the ball and so he has an easier time to catch it. You don't know what you're talking about.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2016, 03:33 AM)treee Wrote: I don't know what I'm talking about? Go on and tell me your nuanced history with the sport of football and then I'll tell you mine.

Doesn't matter if I'm a college coach or a armchair coach because you're wrong on this issue and I'm right. LaFell didn't slow down at all and he turned his hips to fight with the defender and catch the ball.
Reply/Quote