Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Andy Dalton is for real
(09-12-2016, 01:28 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: I agree with your last statement.  I was watching the Colts yesterday, and although Luck had a good game, would not trade him straight up for Dalton today.  I'll probably get bashed for saying that but I wouldn't.  He has become and extremely intelligent QB and doesn't fold when things get tough.

He's always had the smarts....he just needed a little experience and some tweaking of his fundamentals.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 01:17 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Mooning

I meant that as a compliment believe it or not.  I don't mind the quick release, dink and dunk style.  He throws the deep ball occasionally, and he does it better than his critics say he does.  All I want is points.  How we get them could not matter less to me. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 01:46 PM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: I meant that as a compliment believe it or not.  I don't mind the quick release, dink and dunk style.  He throws the deep ball occasionally, and he does it better than his critics say he does.  All I want is points.  How we get them could not matter less to me. 

I don't know how you can watch this offense and say it's "dink and dunk". Dalton was 2nd in YPA last year and 1st this year, meaning he completes more mid to deep throws than pretty much anyone. He completed 4 passes of 33+ yards yesterday alone. If you watch any offense, there's going to be short stuff. Calling Dalton a game manager is inaccurate and a backhanded insult, honestly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Great game from Andy. I think it's fair to say now that he is one of the better QB's in the league, and firmly belongs in the group of QB's that fall right behind the elite vets that are Brady, Rodgers, Brees, and Rapes McGee. Andy is deserving of being mentioned with the Russel Wilson's, Cam Newton's and Andrew Luck's of the league.

Given his age, and contract, he very well be the very best value in all football. Not to mention, he seems like a pretty incredible guy as well. I'm glad to have him.
Reply/Quote
Never understood the love affair with Andrew luck he has done next to nothing in this league and people want to appoint him better than the best qb Peyton manning. He has done less in this league than mark Sanchez. Yeah I get it he has potential but until you prove it he is worse than Sanchez.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 03:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't know how you can watch this offense and say it's "dink and dunk". Dalton was 2nd in YPA last year and 1st this year, meaning he completes more mid to deep throws than pretty much anyone. He completed 4 passes of 33+ yards yesterday alone. If you watch any offense, there's going to be short stuff. Calling Dalton a game manager is inaccurate and a backhanded insult, honestly.

yes, 4 out of his what, 26 completions? Like I said he does a better job than most think he does when he throws it long, but i certainly wouldn't call him a long ball, air it out QB. We will have to agree to disagree here, but I'm on the side that would call our offense "dink and dunk" and I have no problem with it whatsoever.  How many screens and passes for ten yards or less did he throw yesterday compared to everyone else?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 04:03 PM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: yes, 4 out of his what, 26 completions? Like I said he does a better job than most think he does when he throws it long, but i certainly wouldn't call him a long ball, air it out QB. We will have to agree to disagree here, but I'm on the side that would call our offense "dink and dunk" and I have no problem with it whatsoever.  How many screens and passes for ten yards or less did he throw yesterday compared to everyone else?

The patriots entire offense for years has been built around pick plays and screens. We actually take more shots down field than most teams in the NFL. I'd bet money we are in the top 10 in pass attempts of 20+.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 03:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't know how you can watch this offense and say it's "dink and dunk". Dalton was 2nd in YPA last year and 1st this year, meaning he completes more mid to deep throws than pretty much anyone. He completed 4 passes of 33+ yards yesterday alone. If you watch any offense, there's going to be short stuff. Calling Dalton a game manager is inaccurate and a backhanded insult, honestly.

I stand corrected from my last post. I went to NFL.com to check out the statistics and Andy actually has had the highest average on yards per pass so far this week. However, last season he was 21st.  If he continues to "air it out" the rest of the season I will surely change my mind, and will be glad to do so. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 04:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: The patriots entire offense for years has been built around pick plays and screens. We actually take more shots down field than most teams in the NFL. I'd bet money we are in the top 10 in pass attempts of 20+.

Yep. You beat me to it. As I said above, so far this year (one week), we are at the top for long pass plays.  In the past, not so much. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 07:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: To the OP, Dalton has been for real his entire career, IMO. He's just taken another step and become an elite QB now. It's nice not having to argue with haters (lately) because even the biggest haters can't find fault in Andy's performance over the last year. That said, Dalton definitely still has haters and they'll be out in force when he finally has a bad game.

And I'll be honest, as good as he looked for a rookie I did not think he was going to be able to grow into an elite QB.   Over the next 3 years he made a lot of bad decisions, got happy feet a lot and did not seem to be able to settle down when he was all geeked up and sailing the ball.

Today he started off slow and made some bad throws then ratcheted his game up and got in a zone while getting hammered constantly.

He turned the corner last year and he appears not to have looked back.  He has certainly earned my respect. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 04:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: The patriots entire offense for years has been built around pick plays and screens. We actually take more shots down field than most teams in the NFL. I'd bet money we are in the top 10 in pass attempts of 20+.

And why WE don't do this drives me NUTS! 

Ditto on utilizing GIO!!
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 04:03 PM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: Yes, 4 out of his what, 26 completions? Like I said he does a better job than most think he does when he throws it long, but i certainly wouldn't call him a long ball, air it out QB. We will have to agree to disagree here, but I'm on the side that would call our offense "dink and dunk" and I have no problem with it whatsoever.  How many screens and passes for ten yards or less did he throw yesterday compared to everyone else?

Out of 23 completions. You do realize that 4 completions over 33 yards in a single game is a lot...right? If not, you must not watch much NFL football as your expectations are unrealistic. Not everyone pass is going to be a long bomb. He also mixed in plenty of 15-20 yard throws. That's why he's leading the NFL in YPA.

(09-12-2016, 04:13 PM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: I stand corrected from my last post. I went to NFL.com to check out the statistics and Andy actually has had the highest average on yards per pass so far this week. However, last season he was 21st.  If he continues to "air it out" the rest of the season I will surely change my mind, and will be glad to do so. 

Look. Dalton averaged 8.42 YPA last year, which was 2nd, not 21st. Not sure what you're looking at, but you're mistaken. Here's a link for ya: http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt/year/2015

Click on "YDS/A" and it will organize all QBs by their yards per attempt. Dalton finished 2nd, only behind Carson Palmer.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 04:13 PM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: I stand corrected from my last post. I went to NFL.com to check out the statistics and Andy actually has had the highest average on yards per pass so far this week. However, last season he was 21st.  

No he wasn't.  His yards per attempt (8.4) was second only to Carson Palmer's.  His average yards per completion (12.7) was fourth.  Dalton is nothing close to a dink and dunk QB.
Reply/Quote
Last year Dalton had 11 completions of 40+ yards in only 386 attempts. Only Roethlisberger and Tyrod Taylor had a higher percentage than him.

And not QB in the league had a higher percentage of 20 yard completions per attempt than Dalton (52 in 386). No one.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 04:03 PM)OnlyBengalsFanInTown Wrote: yes, 4 out of his what, 26 completions? Like I said he does a better job than most think he does when he throws it long, but i certainly wouldn't call him a long ball, air it out QB. We will have to agree to disagree here, but I'm on the side that would call our offense "dink and dunk" and I have no problem with it whatsoever.  How many screens and passes for ten yards or less did he throw yesterday compared to everyone else?

Tom Brady is a dink and dunk game managing QB.

Dalton is way more of an air it out QB.

There are probably only one or two that air it out more. 

The Rapist is the only one i can think of right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 06:13 PM)Beaker Wrote: Those "Let's get rid of Andy" or "Let's start AJ McCarron" threads seem rather silly now, don't they?

They sounded silly even at that time, let alone now.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Tom Brady is a dink and dunk game managing QB.

I want some of what you're smoking on.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Tom Brady is a dink and dunk game managing QB.

Stafford comes to mind.
Reply/Quote
Palmer likes to air out as well. He's always had a great deep ball.

Reply/Quote
I'd say Dalton is really really good at intermediate routes. If it is between 6 and 20 yards, you can bet he'll zip it right on target more often than not. I still wish he'd push his deep balls a little further. On both the deep ball to Lafell and Green they had to slow up a little bit. His short passes were way off early yesterday but he was running for his life. Once he settled down his short stuff was on point too.
Reply/Quote