Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another London Terrorist Attack
Good thought to the victims.

I'm of the opinion you can't stop a crazy person...and people who are using their religion to justify these attacks are certifiably crazy in my book...but the good people in the UK are handling things the way they can and should.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
It should be noted the attackers' religion is Islam. But thankfully their police responded swiftly to end it, killing 3 of the attackers in the market area where part of the attack occurred.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Those boys must not have been paying attention at the Mosque. Islam is a religion of peace.
(06-04-2017, 06:07 PM)Millhouse Wrote: It should be noted the attackers' religion is Islam. But thankfully their police responded swiftly to end it, killing 3 of the attackers in the market area where part of the attack occurred.

I read somewhere that within 8 minutes the attackers were dead.

THAT is a fast response!
(06-04-2017, 06:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: I read somewhere that within 8 minutes the attackers were dead.

THAT is a fast response!

Surprising for a nation so anti-gun that not even all of their police force is armed.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-04-2017, 07:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Surprising for a nation so anti-gun that not even all of their police force is armed.

Well, the attackers used a van and knives, not guns..  I also read that citizens were fighting them, as well as police.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I'm wondering how many of these attacks have to occur before people acknowledge the unifying theme behind them?
(06-04-2017, 07:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm wondering how many of these attacks have to occur before people acknowledge the unifying theme behind them?

I dunno. Most sensible people do acknowledge the problem of radicalization. 
These sort of attacks are the worst. The basically require zero planning, forethought, money, or resources. They seem impossible to prevent.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(06-04-2017, 08:49 PM)jason Wrote: These sort of attacks are the worst. The basically require zero planning, forethought, money, or resources. They seem impossible to prevent.

And while the damage is limited (albeit incredibly horrible) these are the kind of "terror" attacks that cause real terror because they can happen anywhere anytime.
(06-04-2017, 08:14 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I dunno. Most sensible people do acknowledge the problem of radicalization. 

The problem of Islamic radicalization is what I think SSF was getting at.
(06-04-2017, 07:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm wondering how many of these attacks have to occur before people acknowledge the unifying theme behind them?

Sadly, the unifying theme behind violence seems to be having a penis and lacking education.

(06-04-2017, 11:04 PM)Vlad Wrote:  The problem of Islamic radicalization is what I think SSF was getting at.

I know it was, but that completely ignores the fact that a lot of uneducated people with penises in our very own country kill people.  He said "unifying theme." You can toss "belief in a higher power" in there too if you want to include a large number of our incarcerated population as well as those radial Muslim guys.

Sorry, are these themes too "unifying" for you?
(06-04-2017, 11:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Sadly, the unifying theme behind violence seems to be having a penis and lacking education.

I know it was, but that completely ignores the fact that a lot of uneducated people with penises in our very own country kill people.  He said "unifying theme."  You can toss "belief in a higher power" in there too if you want to include a large number of our incarcerated population as well as those radial Muslim guys.

Sorry, are these themes too "unifying" for you?

Oh please, spare your tired same old song and dance equivalency argument.
There's little chance your family gets blown up at an airport, mall, or at a concert venue by anyone other than a Muslim.
(06-05-2017, 12:46 AM)Vlad Wrote: Oh please, spare your tired same old song and dance equivalency argument.
There's little chance your family gets blown up at an airport, mall, or at a concert venue by anyone other than a Muslim.

There is little chance my family gets blown up by a terrorist.  Killed by some uneducated violent American male?  There is a much better chance of that.

Hey, thanks for proving how quickly people rush to devalue profiling as soon as it happens to include them.
(06-05-2017, 12:48 AM)Nately120 Wrote: There is little chance my family gets blown up by a terrorist.  Killed by some uneducated violent American male?  There is a much better chance of that.

Hey, thanks for proving how quickly people rush to devalue profiling as soon as it happens to include them.

Not if they are traveling abroad. Nice spin move.
Islamic extremism is a global problem. The British people, French, Germans, Russians, ect aren't worried about an uneducated violent American male.
The only threat to the basic freedoms in peoples lives that are taken granted comes from Islamic extremism.
(06-05-2017, 02:13 AM)Vlad Wrote: Not if they are traveling abroad. Nice spin move.
Islamic extremism is a global problem. The British people, French, Germans, Russians, ect aren't worried about an uneducated violent American male.
The only threat to the basic freedoms in peoples lives that are taken granted comes from Islamic extremism.

Speaking of spin:

Full statement from the mayor

Quote:Khan commented on the attacks in a statement overnight and in a television interview earlier on Sunday. In the interview, he said there was “no reason to be alarmed” by an increased and armed police presence in the city that day.

In his statement on Saturday night, issued as the London Bridge attack unfolded, Khan said: “Metropolitan police are responding to the horrific terrorist attack at London Bridge and Borough Market.” He added: “My thoughts are with everyone affected, and I’d like to thank the brave men and women of our emergency services who were first on the scene and will be working throughout the night.

“This was a deliberate and cowardly attack on innocent Londoners and visitors to our city enjoying their Saturday night,” he said. “I condemn it in the strongest possible terms. There is no justification whatsoever for such barbaric acts.”

And it's a damn shame we have to waste time telling poorly-educated people that the POTUS flat out lies, or is so closed minded and lacking ability to pay attention beyond a few seconds or words.

At a time when support should be given the POTUS is using it for political gain at home by playing to a base that believes every word he tweets.

#sad
(06-04-2017, 11:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Sadly, the unifying theme behind violence seems to be having a penis and lacking education.

Of course, violent crime being committed, overwhelmingly, by men is nothing new.  Or maybe the criminal justice system is horribly sexist and biased towards me, which is why so many more men than women are incarcerated.  As to the education portion, agreed, to a point.  It's almost like these guys belong to some group that reject western style education.  This, however, doesn't stop highly educated people from joining this group and participating.  Curious.

Quote:I know it was, but that completely ignores the fact that a lot of uneducated people with penises in our very own country kill people.  He said "unifying theme."  You can toss "belief in a higher power" in there too if you want to include a large number of our incarcerated population as well as those radial Muslim guys.

You'll get no argument from me on the danger of religious justification for actions that would otherwise be unacceptable to anyone.  You'll also get no argument from me about the dangers of gang related violence on our own country.  I will, however, offer a counterpoint, or rather a point you can mull over if you like.  Why did the occupation of Germany and Japan after WW2 go so well?  Why no mass subversion or guerrilla warfare/terrorism? 

Quote:Sorry, are these themes too "unifying" for you?

Not at all.  I'll happily stand with anyone who denounces this violence.  I do have a slight caveat.  You should denounce the violence, but you should also denounce the reasoning behind it.  Come straight out and say it's acceptable/allowed in Western society to draw Muhammed, call Muhammed a pig, crap on or burn a Quran, mock tenants of the islamic faith, simply be a woman who doesn't want to submit to men or be a homosexual.  Couple what with a firm statement of, "If we want to live here we have to accept that our values may differ from this nation", and I'm right there with you.
(06-05-2017, 11:05 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not at all.  I'll happily stand with anyone who denounces this violence.  I do have a slight caveat.  You should denounce the violence, but you should also denounce the reasoning behind it.  Come straight out and say it's acceptable/allowed in Western society to draw Muhammed, call Muhammed a pig, crap on or burn a Quran, mock tenants of the islamic faith, simply be a woman who doesn't want to submit to men or be a homosexual.  Couple what with a firm statement of, "If we want to live here we have to accept that our values may differ from this nation", and I'm right there with you.

I agree. Just go on youtube and do a search for Family Guy Jesus. Do you or anyone remember half the Christian world going bat**** crazy over any of those? Nope. I am sure there were a few that sent them letters of course or wrote an opinion piece on the net somewhere, but they weren't mailed in bombs or some guy running in their office shooting it up. But if Family Guy had the 'One That Shall Not Be Named' in there instead, the Muslim world would have gone ballistic and I would bet politicians would be figuring out ways to force them to stop.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(06-05-2017, 09:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: Speaking of spin:

Full statement from the mayor

And it's a damn shame we have to waste time telling poorly-educated people that the POTUS flat out lies, or is so closed minded and lacking ability to pay attention beyond a few seconds or words.

At a time when support should be given the POTUS is using it for political gain at home by playing to a base that believes every word he tweets.

#sad

That wasn't a "flat out lie", you can call it hyperbole, misleading, an exaggeration...you know, what you just did.
http://www.snopes.com/2017/06/04/london-mayor-sadiq-khan-no-reason-to-be-alarmed-trump/
Gotta love when irony shows up..

And its more a damn shame we have to tell educated people to be wary of horseshit the MSM is selling. Trump does exactly what the MSM does to him.The bias is glaring, so evident it slaps you in the face.
Paybacks are a *****. Carry on Trump.
This is not the role of a president to troll on Twitter but most of people don't want a president, they want a fuhrer.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.