Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Steelers Stat Thread
All-time stats for Marvin Lewis against the Steelers (regular season):

8-21 (.276) record

----------------------

Dalton:  252 of 433 (58.2%) - 2697 yards (6.23 YPA) - 15 TDs to 13 INTs - 75.6 rating - 207.5 yards/game - 1.15 TDs/game - 3-10 record
Palmer: 234 of 410 (57.1%) - 2402 yards (5.86 YPA) - 17 TDs to 11 INTs - 76.7 rating - 200.2 yards/game - 1.42 TDs/game - 4-8 record
Piggy:   539 of 856 (63.0%) --  6364 yards (7.43 YPA) - 36 TDs to 27 INTs - 86.4 rating - 235.7 yards/game - 1.33 TDs/game - 20-7 record

As you can see, both Palmer and Dalton have had eerily similar struggles as Bengals. Ben has usually played well, but leans heavily on the ground game much of the time. Palmer has since improved vs the Steelers, with a 92.3 rating against them since he left (2 games).

----------------------

Bengals Rushing: 628 carries, 2262 yards, 13 TDs
Steelers Rushing: 917 carries, 3613 yards, 28 TDs

Steelers have 289 more carries, 1351 more yards and 15 more TDs in these 29 games. Yikes.

-----------------------

Bengals: 163 penalties for 1438 yards
Steelers: 149 penalties for 1498 yards

For those that blame the refs, there's not much evidence here. It does look like the Steelers are called for more interference penalties, seeing how their average per penalty is over 10 yards. Which in turn means we're called for more discipline penalties such as false starts.

-----------------------

Bengals: 125 of 371 on 3rd downs (33.7%)
Steelers: 164 of 386 on 3rd downs (42.5%)

We're getting killed here, too.

Fwiw, a 42.5% conversion rate would rank 8th this year, while a 33.7% conversion rate would rank 29th.

So what do you guys make of all this?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Outplayed, outcoached, outwitted.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We are who we thought we were!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We've been through so many players and coordinators over these 15 years, yet the results stay the same. Hmm...

What do all these teams have in common? Whenever I pour over stats like this, I always look for themes. Getting killed on the ground on both sides = getting beat in the trenches. That's the #1 thing that stands out to me.

The poor 3rd down rates (on both sides) could also trace to this. A good run game makes 3rd downs easier to convert.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We need a Joe Mixon to break out again, in spite of everything going on all around him. We need him to LeBron James his rookie season.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 07:34 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: We need a Joe Mixon to break out again, in spite of everything going on all around him. We need him to LeBron James his rookie season.

Idk...he's fighting a lot of history here. For 15 years, we've averaged only 78.0 yards rushing on 3.6 YPC vs the Steelers...and this is our worst run blocking line in team history IMO. 

I will give Mixon this, he was having a good game against the Steelers last time (7 carries, 48 yards) before we abandoned it. So it's possible.

I guess I just have my doubts until I see some consistency.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 07:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: We are who we thought we were!

A team designed to do just well enough to keep people coming to the games?  Yep, that would be the Mike Brown strategy.

They talk a good game when it comes to facing down the division rival, but, when the game hits the stage, they can't match the intensity.

I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, but the truth is the truth.  Management is entirely what has been holding this team back from competing for championships.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 07:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A team designed to do just well enough to keep people coming to the games?  Yep, that would be the Mike Brown strategy.

They talk a good game when it comes to facing down the division rival, but, when the game hits the stage, they can't match the intensity.

I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, but the truth is the truth.  Management is entirely what has been holding this team back from competing for championships.

The team itself is a broken record. Same coaches, same FO philosophies, same tale between their legs culture. Same losing in the same situations.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 07:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A team designed to do just well enough to keep people coming to the games?  Yep, that would be the Mike Brown strategy.

That would be the one!

(11-30-2017, 07:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The team itself is a broken record. Same coaches, same FO philosophies, same tale between their legs culture. Same losing in the same situations.

It is.....so tired of the same ol same ol.....and now Jimbo is leaving Tallahassee.....my football world is doo doo right now.....lol. LMAO

Reply/Quote
Seems like we always shoot our self in the foot when we play the steelers.

Multiple times.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Refs usually give them the calls as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 07:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: That would be the one!

It is.....so tired of the same ol same ol.....and now Jimbo is leaving Tallahassee.....my football world is doo doo right now.....lol. LMAO

Welp. Do you have a high school team you can follow? What about some Arena League?

I'd be weary of getting too invested in one of those. If Marv gets fired, you may be going through the same thing all over again.

I can hear the announcers now...

Quote:"Well Jim, this is Marv's 11th trip to the AFL playoffs with the Muskegon Rodeo Clowns... do you think he gets over the hump?"

"Gee I dunno Bob, but you can see the determination is his glassy blank stare..."

"You got that right, Jim. Marvin seems to be clapping with a renewed sense of vigor and his players are really responding"

"Yes Bob, they seem at least 10% less despondent this go-round. I think we're a few 'lets goes' away from a semi-competitive first half."

[Image: dodgeball-the-ocho-615x346.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Well, I’d like to just reply to everything in this post. You all nailed it.

Nice stats shake. Sunset and wyche, agree totally.

Marvin was dealt his hand. The dealer doesn’t value interior lineman. Does just enough to keep fans hooked.

So fed up with the ghost of owner present. Hopefully the ghost of owner future does something. Screw ebenezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
In to blame Dalton

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Those kinds of stats are the very definition of a fixed league, but most of you refuse to believe it so I won't bother.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 08:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Welp. Do you have a high school team you can follow? What about some Arena League?

I'd be weary of getting too invested in one of those. If Marv gets fired, you may be going through the same thing all over again.

I can hear the announcers now...

[Image: dodgeball-the-ocho-615x346.jpg]

LMAO Well......one of the local high schools DOES play in the state finals tomorrow....but this isn't my hometown, so......

My high school alma mater went a couple rounds in the playoffs, my college alma mater looked worse than the Bengals this season. LMAO

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2017, 05:06 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: In to blame Dalton

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2017, 07:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The team itself is a broken record. Same coaches, same FO philosophies, same tale between their legs culture. Same losing in the same situations.

Yup,

Wash, rinse, repeat
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2017, 09:02 AM)grampahol Wrote: Those kinds of stats are the very definition of a fixed league, but most of you refuse to believe it so I won't bother.. 

While agreeing in some regard about biased officiating, you'd likely get more traction out of this if we weren't talking about Mike Brown.....lets take a look at some of his stats....

Not a stat, but told everyone Sam Wyche resigned when the reality was, he fired him.  This was his first act as "GM".

7 winning seasons in 26 years

around a .418 winning % (actually dramatically improved under Merv, or it's probably in the 30s)

In 2008, the Bengals set a record for the most games needed under one specific owner to attain 100 wins (288).

In 2010, the team set a record for the fewest games needed to lose 200 (both considering and not considering playoffs) under one specific owner (314).

It is the only team with three nine-game-or-more losing streaks during his tenure.

Also holds six of the twenty-five 0-6 starts (24%)

Four of the thirteen 0-8 starts (31%) 

Bengals have gone winless in October nine different times in twenty-two years under five different head coaches

0-7 in playoffs

The second lowest winning % in a decade in all of professional sports history. (were #1 until Detroit went 0-16 in their abyss)

Shocked

Reply/Quote

Probably the most spot on post, ever!
Reply/Quote