Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthony Collins
What is this guy doing nowadays?  Can we at least bring him in for a tryout?  If not him, then someone else? 

I don't understand this whole Ogbuehi deal.  He obviously is not ready to play this season as a starting NFL Right Tackle.  In my opinion, he is the single biggest reason we are 3-4 at the moment.  Also how bad can Jake Fisher be?  If Jake Fisher is not as good as Ogbuehi then we are in some very serious trouble not only this season but also in the future at the OT position. 

While they are arranging for "try-outs" (i hope during the bye week) maybe also look at former Centers who are out on the street.  I would love to see Bodine have some competition for his position.  I am really surprised Westerman does not even make the active gameday roster.
Reply/Quote
In reply to my own thread, I think we are close to being a great football team but need to address 3 key areas:

1. RT -- we need replacement for Ogbuehi
2. C- we need replacement for Bodine
3. LB - we need replacement for Dansby/Maualuga

If we could simply patch these holes up even with street free agents or players already on the roster I think we could still go 9-7 or 10-6 and make some noise in the playoffs this season.  if we do not fix these holes on the roster I think we are looking at missing the playoffs and the Marvin Lewis era coming to an end.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:46 AM)CoreyK Wrote: In reply to my own thread, I think we are close to being a great football team but need to address 3 key areas:

If we could simply patch these holes up even with street free agents or players already on the roster I think we could still go 9-7 or 10-6 and make some noise in the playoffs this season.  if we do not fix these holes on the roster I think we are looking at missing the playoffs and the Marvin Lewis era coming to an end.

Collins might be an option if we had a need at LT not sure he fits well into RT I think hes out of the league now.
Reply/Quote
Wikipedia :

After a strong 2013 campaign with the Bengals, on March 13, 2014, Collins signed a contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to replace Bucs veteran left tackle Donald Penn.[1] Unfortunately, health concerns, multiple penalties and inconsistent play led to Collins being benched in favor of veteran right tackle Demar Dotson. He was considered more of a liability with his penalties and pedestrian play in the pass rush situations.

On March 2, 2015 it was announced that Tampa would try to trade Collins or cut him, confirming that he would not be brought back for the 2015 season. On March 10, 2015 the team cut Collins after failing to trade him before the official start of free agency.[2]
Reply/Quote
I think he got $15 million guaranteed, so my guess is that he's sitting on a beach in Clearwater or South Florida this very minute.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:46 AM)CoreyK Wrote: In reply to my own thread, I think we are close to being a great football team but need to address 3 key areas:

I mostly agree, but I don't get the hate for Dansby on here.....he's leading the team in tackles with 48.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
In Ogbuihi's defense he told Hobson he's doing better...He ONLY gave up 2 sacks against (cough) Cleveland which is exactly the same as having a great game in 8th grade intramural kickball..
Have you ever noticed whenever a player stinks they tell us how athletic they ? When they say you're athletic it pretty much equates to something not good . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Nailed it Rock On
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 12:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: I mostly agree, but I don't get the hate for Dansby on here.....he's leading the team in tackles with 48.

Yup !

Vinnie Rey and Dansby are our two best LB's right now ! Maualuga, and I can't believe I'm saying this Burfict, are where our problem has been . It's not that they're playing awful, but both are getting walled off, taking bad angles, over running plays, jumping into wrong lanes, etc. a little to often. 

Several have pointed out Burfict's weight and Maualuga seems he could lose a couple more pounds as well. Perhaps that's part of it. But to me it seems the fire isn't always there, I dunno ? I hope they get it figured out ! We've gotta shore up this run D !
Reply/Quote
I liked Collins while he was here at LT, problem is we need a RT right now. Winston has played decent and i doubt
we can bring a guy off the street who would outplay Winston. Collins was good in pass protection but was bad in the
running game. What we really need is for Og or Fisher to improve for the future.

This is looking ugly right now drafting and coaching wise unless these two improve.

Luckily we have Winston for this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 12:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: I mostly agree, but I don't get the hate for Dansby on here.....he's leading the team in tackles with 48.

Tackles =/= Good

He's been poor against the run and awful against the pass, and the pass is why he was brought here.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 01:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Winston has played decent and i doubt we can bring a guy off the street who would outplay Winston. 

Yup.

Free agents or guys on their couch, you aren't going to find much better than Winston. And he's already up to speed (conditioned, knows the plays, etc). At this point, if we're trying to win, the best bet is to play more Winston and have Og as rotational. If we're trying to win next year (which is what I think the emphasis is on), then we need to play more Og and only bring Winston in when it looks like Dalton may get decapitated.
Reply/Quote
Dansby has not been good. He may lead the team in tackles but he is being beat in the passing game. He also is making the majority of those tackles down the field.

In his defense all of the linebackers have been terrible.
Reply/Quote
Everyone seems to want an immediate solution to the problem, but the reality is it just might not exist. The team likely has to wait until the offseason to address this issue.
For now, hope that the current players can get it together enough to make (...and hopefully advance in) the playoffs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 01:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Tackles =/= Good

He's been poor against the run and awful against the pass, and the pass is why he was brought here.

Yeah, they've all been bad against the pass, and he's certainly no exception.  Still, someone has to eventually tackle the opponent, and no one else has done it as much as him.....and they've all been here for a few years.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 11:56 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Collins might be an option if we had a need at LT not sure he fits well into RT I think hes out of the league now.

Collins played plenty of RT too, particularly in the first half of his career. If he were in shape and ready, I'd say he'd be at least worth a workout. That said, I think Winston is a solid backup. An old pro with plenty of starting experience.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

He is likely leading in missed tackles too.  Many of his tackles are 10 yards down the field. Sad He has a very low number of passes defended. Cry  
Reply/Quote

I would've agreed on #2 a month ago but Bodine is finally starting to produce. Dunno if that will continue but for now I'd change that to: 2. K- we need a replacement for Mike Nugent. I appreciate his contribution to the team, but it is time to move on. 

We definitely do need help at LB (we're still getting gouged in the run game) and RT almost goes without saying at this point. 

Reply/Quote
I was just thinking of what happened to Anthony Collins the other day, I knew he was released in Tampa but thought someone would take a flyer on him, obviously thats not the case, as mentioned above he's probably a scientologist living in Clearwater now!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2016, 09:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Collins played plenty of RT too, particularly in the first half of his career. If he were in shape and ready, I'd say he'd be at least worth a workout. That said, I think Winston is a solid backup. An old pro with plenty of starting experience.

Well now that Whitworth might not play not at all comfortable with Obg and fisher as the bookends yet
Reply/Quote