Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antwan Randel-El can't walk down stairs
I've got a bad knee from playing high school football.  Blew out a bunch of cartilage, had surgery then, had another surgery in college to remove more cartilage, and now need a knee replacement because I have no cartilage in my knee anymore.  Can I get in on the action here too?  I could use some help with $$$ to pay for the knee replacement?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 10:47 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Look at boxers like Ali. He's real messed up.

Ali has Parkinson's disease. His condition isn't the result of boxing. Now Holyfield on the other hand...
Reply/Quote
Hey AIDS patients suffer because they made choices to have unprotected sex with multiple partners.

Is it our fault that we don't have AIDS because we were responsible and didn't take known risks to our health and well being...... Or is it theirs for being careless?

Everyone makes a choice and randel el decided to take the blue pill and enjoyed the money and fame.
Reply/Quote
I guess I didn't make my point clear in the OP. While it is a tragedy what is happening to former players, I think it's also a tragedy that a sport that so many of us love has to have such negative consequences. I just wish the NFL and the medical community could find away to protect the head better. I'm sure there is an answer, I just hope they are taking this seriously and something gets figured out sooner rather than later for the sake of these guys that are losing their lives for our entertainment. Everybody needs to move past the blame and finger pointing, there is a problem, now fix it.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 06:13 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Do you think miners with lung disease at an early age know the risk? Pays well so people put up with it. Just like football.

Well... if you're speaking of early day miners then you may have a point.

However if they don't know the consequences now... that means they're dumber than a box of rocks.

I'm not on board feeling bad for brain injuries to those who are stupid to begin with.

Let natural selection weed out the numb nuts.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hell there are thrill seeking idiots who get paid NOTHING that risk their health and well being because they love it.

Now you tell me what is the difference?

That's where I don't get the concern.

People act like such *******.

Do you think Evil Kenivel would have stopped jumping shit if you brought him a doctor's study on the harms of wrecking his motorcycle?

No because he didn't give a flying F.

He knew the dangers but did it anyway.

Just like people who roid. They know there could be consequences and even risk having a miniature schlong on top of it.

Some people are just wired different and their level of reasoning is not those of the "sane".
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Football will eventually become 7-on -7 type of the concussion people have anything to do with this ..
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2016, 07:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Football will eventually become 7-on -7 type of the concussion people have anything to do with this ..

There will always be people willing to put their lives on the line for the fame and fortune of the NFL, just like there will always be people like us waiting to point and laugh at them when they are brain damaged as a result.
Reply/Quote
 Nately Wrote:There will always be people willing to put their lives on the line for the fame and fortune of the NFL, just like there will always be people like us waiting to point and laugh at them when they are brain damaged as a result.

If they didn't get paid hazzard pay to play I would have some sympathy for these guys.   But the compensation merits the risk. It's not like the old days where players actually had offseason jobs.
Reply/Quote
For some, the pain may not be worth the compensation. That is all he is arguing. Also, we can't go around saying that these players get paid well so they shouldnt complain. That is just ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
Fro Wrote:For some, the pain may not be worth the compensation. That is all he is arguing. Also, we can't go around saying that these players get paid well so they shouldnt complain. That is just ridiculous.

They can complain all they like. Why anyone has any sympathy for them is quite another story.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 01:28 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They can complain all they like.    Why anyone has any sympathy for them is quite another story.

Because they are human beings and they are suffering.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2016, 02:33 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If they didn't get paid hazzard pay to play I would have some sympathy for these guys.   But the compensation merits the risk.   It's not like the old days where players actually had offseason jobs.

You know the vast majority of NFL players have concussions before they even step onto an NFL field, most of them don't sign bazillion dollar contracts, and most of them don't play for decades.  I'm not telling you to feel bad for these guys like they are toddles with cancer, but your attitude towards this just smacks of some sort of "Serves you right!" sort of envy or something.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.  I just think we may as well sit here and discuss how people who smoke deserve to get lung cancer, or how fitting it is when a fat guy drops dead while his children are still in grade school.  I'm supposed to thank some veteran in a wheelchair for paying the price for my freedom, but I'm not supposed to thank an NFL player who can't walk for paying the price for my entertainment? They both got paid more than burger-flippers, so fudge 'em, right?

But hey, compensation merits the risk...according to what?  Mike Webster dying homeless and mindless for the glory of 4 rings?  Meh, times have changed and we know more now but when I signed up for football in 8th grade I assure you the coach didn't sit us down and say "Ok, playing this sport might alter your brain to the point where you may kill yourself or others someday, so be warned."
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 04:50 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If he was forced into doing this job with no options to stop.   Then it would be tragic.  

As it stands this isn't at all tragic in any way.

Is it tragic when one volunteers for the military and gets hurt in the process???
Reply/Quote
Nately1 Wrote:You know the vast majority of NFL players have concussions before they even step onto an NFL field, most of them don't sign bazillion dollar contracts, and most of them don't play for decades.  I'm not telling you to feel bad for these guys like they are toddles with cancer, but your attitude towards this just smacks of some sort of "Serves you right!" sort of envy or something.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.  I just think we may as well sit here and discuss how people who smoke deserve to get lung cancer, or how fitting it is when a fat guy drops dead while his children are still in grade school.  I'm supposed to thank some veteran in a wheelchair for paying the price for my freedom, but I'm not supposed to thank an NFL player who can't walk for paying the price for my entertainment? They both got paid more than burger-flippers, so fudge 'em, right?

But hey, compensation merits the risk...according to what?  Mike Webster dying homeless and mindless for the glory of 4 rings?_/b] Meh, times have changed and we know more now but [b]when I signed up for football in 8th grade I assure you the coach didn't sit us down and say "Ok, playing this sport might alter your brain to the point where you may kill yourself or others someday, so be warned."

1. In no way am I saying this serves anyone right. It sucks when anyone gets sick or has problems. I have compassion for them but I don't think the game should be altered.

2. You are reading way too much into this and my stance on concussions as how They are handled.

3. Smoking is yet another choice activity that people partake. Their are even labels on every pack. As long as they are labeled then the onus is on the smoker. Being fat is another story, I think the way we store food has a lot to do with that but that's getting into a rabbit hole and would deserve another thread all together.

4. The Vet put his life on the actual line for your freedom and way of life. Received in no way compensation that would change his family tree. Comparing them to a professional athlete is a joke man.

5. Mike Webster is a terrible story. But so is all the cases of homelessness and mental illness.

6. Don't know how old you are but my coaches always stated the risks associated. It was straight from the Riddel disclosures. Now that was years ago when hitting was allowed...... I have coached and we did/do educate on possible head injuries moreso as this has come to the forefront. I had a player two seasons ago that had 2 concussions fairly quickly. He missed about 5 weeks. Now why does our district have a concussion protocol..... Because of the fear of litigation. Now before I ramble on here ..... Kids having a strict protocol is fine. They are minors. But adults are fine to make their own decisions. As long as they have the information from the medical staff and independent docs.
Reply/Quote
BengalYank Wrote:Is it tragic when one volunteers for the military and gets hurt in the process???

Depends on how you feel about others who are actually fighting for your freedom and the right to live the way you do. You can be a jerk and not be thankful or feel its tragic. It's your right to do so under the freedom they provide for you.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 10:45 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Depends on how you feel about others who are actually fighting for your freedom and the right to live the way you do.    You can be a jerk and not be thankful or feel its tragic.   It's your right to do so under the freedom they provide for you.

Meh, you make some decent points but we've also reached a bit of an impasse.  I think you overestimate how easy and breesy the life of a many professional athlete end up being, but in a lot of ways it does relate to some of those jobs or activities we undertake in our 20's that we pay for in the long run.
Reply/Quote
Nately1 Wrote:Meh, you make some decent points but we've also reached a bit of an impasse.  I think you overestimate how easy and breesy the life of a many professional athlete end up being, but in a lot of ways it does relate to some of those jobs or activities we undertake in our 20's that we pay for in the long run.

We reached that impasse like 10 concussion threads ago lol I know we can still discuss and also agree to disagree that's why I don't mind having a little back and forth with you. You make some good points as well, I am a little hesitant in comparing these jobs when the compensation isn't as close. It feels like apples and oranges at times.

Anyway good chat mate.
Reply/Quote
They were compensated so they should have known better really sounds like some of you have been watching too many lawyer shows on the TEEVEE. Life really isn't so much whether you are compensated well or not and the money isn't the factor that makes for great decisions and the ability to see into the future. Suppose that instead of being well compensated and you weren't born with extraordinary athletic abilities instead you take whatever shit job is available and get exposed to chemicals that destroy the nervous system and cause a laundry list of cancers. But hey, you have a family to support so you're going to do whatever it takes to get by.
There are still plenty of places and occupations where once you've been injured so bad that you can no longer feed yourself you're stuck in shitzcreek for the rest of your miserable existence. In the case of Randall El he was compensated,but so what? You can have zillions of dollars, but if you can't walk, play with your kids or make love to your wife that money is meaningless.
I think about my dad. He's 87 and won't live much longer, blind with severe stenosis and his heart is in bad shape but he'll still buy a lottery ticket. He knows what the odds of winning are. Suppose he does win. Suppose overnight he becomes a billionaire. Chances are he will never live long enough to spend even a fraction of it so it is a completely meaningless win that he'll never enjoy. I don't see a hell of a lot of difference between being filthy rich and bedridden and being dirt poor and bedridden. The matresses can only be made so comfortable and after that it's just a bed.
So anyway..I buy his lottery ticket for him and make sure to tell the clerk to make sure it's a winner because he's 87.. if he did win I'd probably give the vast majority of it away anyway.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 01:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We reached that impasse like 10 concussion threads ago lol   I know we can still discuss and also agree to disagree that's why I don't mind having a little back and forth with you.    You make some good points as well, I am a little hesitant in comparing these jobs when the compensation isn't as close.   It feels like apples and oranges at times.  

Anyway good chat mate.

Is the compensation miles apart?  A buddy of mine is a Major in the US Army and he's very in-tune with the benefits, hazards, and overall bs he has to deal with on a daily basis.  I also worked for a baseball team (different sport, and all) and you'd be amazed at the number of guys who are out of it and thinking "Crap, I'm 25 and don't have a real-life resume" once it's over.  

Wait, did you say "Good chat mate?"  What are you, British?
Reply/Quote