Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any chance we win more than 6 games?
(06-29-2019, 10:44 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Because people didn't like him because he was 0-7 in the playoffs.
Personally I think he got a raw deal here and the front office deserves the majority of the blame. Particularly the 2017 season when we lost Z and Whitworth.

When it was clear 2018 was going to be our 3rd losing season in a row I figured Marvin might be on the way out of here, whether he just resigned or was fired.  Then people started going on about how injured we were and what a lost season it was and I was thinking "Shut up...Mike Brown might use that as an excuse to just keep everything the way it was and go for a do-over in 2019!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 09:17 AM)OSUfan Wrote: No not really.

I'd love nothing more than this team putting up 10 or more wins. It's just that there are so many ifs that would have to materialize for that to happen.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 10:34 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I can see us winning 8 or more games if absolutely everything else goes right.  Not holding my breath, but we aren't automatically done just yet.

It's very possible we see a starter lose time during the season and/or some of our coaches are in over their heads in year one.  It could get gruesome, though.

I see our mighty Bengals whipping crap out of our AFC-N  dudes at our place,brownies,stoolers and dirty birds.At home we have a chance to kill them. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 07:21 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I see our mighty Bengals whipping crap out of our AFC-N  dudes at our place,brownies,stoolers and dirty birds.At home we have a chance to kill them. :andy:

The oline and LB corps aren’t going to magically improve at home.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
if this offense can win time of possession
then our defense wont be on tired legs 4 mins into
the 3rd quarter.
some of you forget when this offense lost Dalton and Green,it meant
for snaps for the defense.
you had LBers, nickel backs on the field more than
they are,used too.
its bad enough if you are,like Hardy Nickerson or Jordan Willis
where you suck to begin with.
but when they are getting extra snaps they might as,well be invisable
Reply/Quote
There’s a chance the Bengals could win 6+, but there’s a better chance they win 5 or less. The front office botched FA. O-line is a dumpster fire, LB corps still a glaring weakness, core players are now 30+ years old and more susceptible to injuries. All three teams in the division are better on paper. Looking like a 5-11 or 4-12 kind of campaign, if all things break right maybe 7-9.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I don't see 5 wins. 7 to 9 most likely.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I literally have no idea what to expect this season at all. We could win 2 games or 8 games or win the SB and I'd never see it coming either way at this point. On paper we have a playoff caliber roster. But with new coaching and new systems, it could take a year or two or the new coaches could fail altogether which doesnt seem likely at this point. Cant wait till the games begin
Reply/Quote
I think 7-9 is the ceiling for this team. Glenn has been injured the past 3 seasons and if he goes down we might be looking at a Bobby Hart, Kent Perkins/ or some other bum as your starting tackles. Plus if Boling is really out LG become a big question mark. I liked Pratt coming out of the draft but we are relying to heavily on a 3rd round rookie to save our linebacker core. If I had to guess I would assume an injury at linebacker will occur sometime during the season meaning a Jordan Evans, Hardy Nickerson, Malik Jefferson type player will be pressed into a starting role.
Reply/Quote
All I am hoping for this season is to see an improvement in our Defence, I was also hoping to see the O-line improve a lot but with the injuries I don't know.
I will take 6 wins right now although I'm praying for 9
Reply/Quote
NO.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 12:01 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: NO.

That is exactly what everyone said before the 2011 season.

We won 6 games last year and did not lose a single top player from that roster.  You really think Taylor is that much worse than Marvin was?
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 01:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is exactly what everyone said before the 2011 season.

We won 6 games last year and did not lose a single top player from that roster.  You really think Taylor is that much worse than Marvin was?

Taylor not worse than Marv but team is worse.

No - we won't win more than 6 games.  5 to 6 is just about right because that will prevent us from getting a draft position for a franchise QB.

I hope and pray I am wrong but I expect a miserable year. Talent is just not there and what we have is aging out.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 01:50 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Taylor not worse than Marv but team is worse.

How is team worse when we did not lose any good players?

In fact last season we lost more players than usual to injury so Taylor will probably have MORE talent than last year.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2019, 11:31 AM)Nately120 Wrote: When it was clear 2018 was going to be our 3rd losing season in a row I figured Marvin might be on the way out of here, whether he just resigned or was fired.  Then people started going on about how injured we were and what a lost season it was and I was thinking "Shut up...Mike Brown might use that as an excuse to just keep everything the way it was and go for a do-over in 2019!"

really I think the 0-2 vs Cleveland was the final straw....... Even in our worst years under marvin we hadn't been swept by the browns.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 02:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: really I think the 0-2 vs Cleveland was the final straw....... Even in our worst years under marvin we hadn't been swept by the browns.

Oy that says so much. We will keep any coach who can avoid being swept by a team that has had a single winning season in 20 years.   Here is hoping ZT can get at least one win against them in 2019. 
Reply/Quote
We should improve to at least 8-8. Really once we see the new schemes we will know more. Note that the linemen have been raving on the new schemes saying they are easier for the OL to play well in. I suspect (but have no proof yet) that this refers in part to shifting away from zone blocking to more of an Angle scheme as zone is one of the most difficult line schemes and favors smaller linemen while Angle is simpler and favors bigger linemen. Also possible is more of a traditional Gap scheme.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2019, 03:43 PM)Joelist Wrote: We should improve to at least 8-8. Really once we see the new schemes we will know more. Note that the linemen have been raving on the new schemes saying they are easier for the OL to play well in. I suspect (but have no proof yet) that this refers in part to shifting away from zone blocking to more of an Angle scheme as zone is one of the most difficult line schemes and favors smaller linemen while Angle is simpler and favors bigger linemen. Also possible is more of a traditional Gap scheme.

Taylor has mentioned Gary Kubiak's west coast offense a few different times this offseason so if he plans to run something similar it will be heavy zone blocking and running alot of the outside stretch. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The thing is if we persist in zone blocking then our OL acquisitions make no sense as all of them are FAR better drive blockers than zone blockers.
Reply/Quote
Sure we could, yet we could certainly not either.

Would not wager on more than 6, seems like a push presently.

Hope I am wrong though

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote