Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Any other potential surprise cuts for Bengals?
Obviously going into the season Trae Waynes and most likely Trey Hopkins will be either cut. Any other potential roster cuts? What about RB Joe Mixon. We’ll never be able to pay Mixon or any other RB for that matter in the future. I Could see a potential RB drafted in the 2nd rd to at least get Perine out of here.
Reply/Quote
Scratch Mixon for this year because he would have a 8 million cap hit this year. So not this year. I would still draft a RB in rd 3 to get rid of Perine and this new guy be ready to start in 2023 thinking Mixon will be cut during his 4 year deal.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is going nowhere this year imo, but believe you're correct in saying he will not be affordable in near future.

That's why I do subscribe to dropping Perrine and drafting another RB.

Yet personally if O-line is fixed with either a Collins, Tretter or both ? Would give the defense the first two picks at least (maybe first 3) and then target a RB, OL depth, and maybe an extra WR for depth.

Zac's plan is probably better than mine though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think mixon's days or numbered though. I love his effusive personality and it turned out a high risk high reward kind of player, but his personality is infectious and I know Coach Taylor loves them but the days of having high price running backs are no longer
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
But they need now are wide receivers that can be part-time running backs. This is why debo Samuels was so awesome. He is the new hybrid. He is the new meta
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
My list of guys who may get cut to save cap:

1) Waynes (saves $10.8 million).

Given our current cap situation, we need that cash to sign Collins.

2) Fred Johnson ($2,433,333).

When/if we land another tackle, Fred is likely #5 on the depth chart with zero dead cap (Jonah, RT, Prince, Smith). And he makes more than double what Prince & Smith do.

3) Trey Hopkins ($6 million).

I do not think we cut Hopkins until we absolutely have to. I think we like having the option to play Karras at LG in case Carman does not improve. Plus, then Hill is unlikely to have to olay C. If a quality IOL option falls to us in the draft (Linderbaum, Zion Johnson, Green), then we move Karras appropriately and release Hopkins. Or if we can land Tretter but need the cap space.

4) Brandon Wilson ($2 million).

Coming off injury. Evans has been good on KR. We might need some Bates insurance. There are some oretty good safteties that could get taken in the 30s in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:31 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: But they need now are wide receivers that can be part-time running backs.  This is why debo Samuels was so awesome. He is the new hybrid. He is the new meta

It doesn't even have to be someone like Deebo. A back like Ekeler is great, too. Really, you just want that receiving ability. I've argued that Ekeler is one of the best backs in the league. He had 1500+ yards and 20 TDs while averaging 5.6 yards per touch. All of his advanced metrics are through the roof. It is one of those scenarios where many people don't factor in a back's receiving talents when evaluating the player. He is a top flight back, no questions. I am hopeful that someone like Chris Evans can provide some level of this threat, he flashed real receiving ability in camp this past season. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:36 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: It doesn't even have to be someone like Deebo. A back like Ekeler is great, too. Really, you just want that receiving ability. I've argued that Ekeler is one of the best backs in the league. He had 1500+ yards and 20 TDs while averaging 5.6 yards per touch. All of his advanced metrics are through the roof. It is one of those scenarios where many people don't factor in a back's receiving talents when evaluating the player. He is a top flight back, no questions. I am hopeful that someone like Chris Evans can provide some level of this threat, he flashed real receiving ability in camp this past season. 

Ekeler doesn't get the notoriety and respect that he should. Where was he drafted? Was it the fourth round?
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:30 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think mixon's days or numbered though. I love his effusive personality and it turned out a high risk high reward kind of player, but his personality is infectious and I know Coach Taylor loves them but the days of having high price running backs are no longer

Agree, plus he is getting a lot of wear and tear on his tread. 

Fresh legs on a rookie deal should be coming in the near future, but don't see that happening this season.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:43 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Ekeler doesn't get the notoriety and respect that he should. Where was he drafted? Was it the fourth round?

He wasn't. UDFA
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:31 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: But they need now are wide receivers that can be part-time running backs.  This is why debo Samuels was so awesome. He is the new hybrid. He is the new meta

We already have one of those in Chase. Chase was a running back in high school and still runs like a running back. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We already have one of those in Chase. Chase was a running back in high school and still runs like a running back. 

You know that's a good point. I think they were toying with the idea last year at least on a few play
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote

cordarrelle patterson is available..   I havent seen him last year is he still doing well at returning kicks?/ RB
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: cordarrelle patterson is available..   I havent seen him last year is he still doing well at returning kicks?/ RB

That dude is a beast. I can't believe he's still playing.  He's a man child
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: That dude is a beast. I can't believe he's still playing.  He's a man child

would be an interesting option
Reply/Quote
Surprise cut? I don't know if any will be a surprise.

I could see Perine getting the axe after the draft potentially, but that's about it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I guess if you are looking for a surprise cut I'd say Bell if we end up extending Bates to a huge contract and draft a safety at 31 (Keep an eye out on Brisker if no CB's are on the board, and we sign Collins). Other than that there isn't many players left that would be considered a surprise cut.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:32 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: My list of guys who may get cut to save cap:

1) Waynes (saves $10.8 million).

Given our current cap situation, we need that cash to sign Collins.

2) Fred Johnson ($2,433,333).

When/if we land another tackle, Fred is likely #5 on the depth chart with zero dead cap (Jonah, RT, Prince, Smith). And he makes more than double what Prince & Smith do.

3) Trey Hopkins ($6 million).

I do not think we cut Hopkins until we absolutely have to. I think we like having the option to play Karras at LG in case Carman does not improve. Plus, then Hill is unlikely to have to olay C. If a quality IOL option falls to us in the draft (Linderbaum, Zion Johnson, Green), then we move Karras appropriately and release Hopkins. Or if we can land Tretter but need the cap space.

4) Brandon Wilson ($2 million).

Coming off injury. Evans has been good on KR. We might need some Bates insurance. There are some oretty good safteties that could get taken in the 30s in the draft.

im surprised Waynes has not been cut.. is there a reason we are holding on to him you think?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: im surprised Waynes has not been cut.. is there a reason we are holding on to him you think?

Well, it is silly to cut someone: 

1) Before you need the cap space, and 
2) Before you have a replacement lined up. 

Apple just re-signed yesterday. Without Waynes, CB is still thin, Jalen Davis is #4 without him. But at least the starters are back. 

We still have cap space at the moment. 

If Collins signs, then I am pretty sure Waynes will have to be released to create cap space. Though Fred Johnson + some other moves might get us close. I read somewhere the Hendrickson's deal can be restructured to save close to $5 mil. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:18 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Mixon is going nowhere this year imo, but believe you're correct in saying he will not be affordable in near future.

That's why I do subscribe to dropping Perrine and drafting another RB.

Yet personally if O-line is fixed with either a Collins, Tretter or both ? Would give the defense the first two picks at least (maybe first 3) and then target a RB, OL depth, and maybe an extra WR for depth.

Zac's plan is probably better than mine though.

In a perfect world, the line is fixed and Mixon has a career year and then his contract turns into a bargain. 
-Housh
Reply/Quote