Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any players in the USFL worth looking at?
I havent watched many of the the USFL games this year but I would think there would have to be a few NFL caliber players that could come in and help some teams including the Bengals
Reply/Quote
There will be some.

Just look at the number of UDFA that make NFL rosters every year. Not a big number when you consider the hundreds of players that get a shot, but still there will be some.
Reply/Quote
Cookus the QB for Birmingham might be a good thought for us as a backup QB. I have been impressed with him.

Might be an upgrade over Allen.

There is a WR on New Jersey, Kavantae Harris or something like that who is a speedster and leads the league in yards
pretty sure. Just to name a couple guys who might fit for depth.
Reply/Quote
I usually can't get thru 3 minutes of the USFL. I was channel surfing last weekend and stopped on the Michigan/Philly game, I swear there were about 45 people in the stands. Nobody stood out to me. I don't think this time of year is good for football watching and the talent isn't there.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 06:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I usually can't get thru 3 minutes of the USFL. I was channel surfing last weekend and stopped on the Michigan/Philly game, I swear there were about 45 people in the stands. 

That is because they were not playing in either Michigan or Philly.

Every USFL game is played in Birmingham Alabama and no one goes to the games.  The playoff games will be in Canton.

None of these teams have any connection to the cities they represent.  The USFL is a "made for television" series with their recording studio in Birmingham.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 06:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I usually can't get thru 3 minutes of the USFL. I was channel surfing last weekend and stopped on the Michigan/Philly game, I swear there were about 45 people in the stands. Nobody stood out to me. I don't think this time of year is good for football watching and the talent isn't there.

Back when I used to watch a lot more college football I could recognize some names when I came across an Arena League or XFL game or something like that.  But I have watched a few minutes of a couple of USFL games I did not even recognize a single name.
Reply/Quote
Think the question should probably be CFL more than USFL. Andrew Hawkins, Cameron Wake, Brandon Browner, there's some talent to be found there if you dig around. I'm still surprised that Zach Collaros never went back to the NFL, guy's won 3 Grey Cups up North.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 07:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is because they were not playing in either Michigan or Philly.

Every USFL game is played in Birmingham Alabama and no one goes to the games.  The playoff games will be in Canton.

None of these teams have any connection to the cities they represent.  The USFL is a "made for television" series with their recording studio in Birmingham.

Birmingham draws pretty well to their games. Being undefeated (so far) helps. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Victor Bolden Jr

William Likely
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 08:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think the question should probably be CFL more than USFL. Andrew Hawkins, Cameron Wake, Brandon Browner, there's some talent to be found there if you dig around. I'm still surprised that Zach Collaros never went back to the NFL, guy's won 3 Grey Cups up North.

Collaros was a starter for two of those championships, the third he was a backup. He's been hot and cold in his CFL stint. His best seasons are 2021 (championship) and 2015. He really dipped in 2017 and 2018, and then came back on after a trade in 2019-2021. In 2019, he really only played the playoffs and was part of a dual QB system with another player named Chris Streveler, who was recently on the Cardinals. 

He strikes me as a CFL Kurt Warner or Rich Gannon. Play good football early on, then drop off, get to a new team and light it up again. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 10:57 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Collaros was a starter for two of those championships, the third he was a backup. He's been hot and cold in his CFL stint. His best seasons are 2021 (championship) and 2015. He really dipped in 2017 and 2018, and then came back on after a trade in 2019-2021. In 2019, he really only played the playoffs and was part of a dual QB system with another player named Chris Streveler, who was recently on the Cardinals. 

He strikes me as a CFL Kurt Warner or Rich Gannon. Play good football early on, then drop off, get to a new team and light it up again. 

I just know guys like Nathan Peterman are making a little over $1m/yr and still in the NFL. I guess it's possible Peterman is amazing at film study and helping the starter prep for the week (we know he's absolutely awful at actually playing). Perhaps for Collaros making $500k, starting, and winning Championships in Canada is more appealing than making $1m and holding a clipboard for a bad team? Dunno.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 08:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think the question should probably be CFL more than USFL. Andrew Hawkins, Cameron Wake, Brandon Browner, there's some talent to be found there if you dig around. I'm still surprised that Zach Collaros never went back to the NFL, guy's won 3 Grey Cups up North.

Remember Rashad Jeanty?
Reply/Quote
Scooby Wright has looked good at LB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 11:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I just know guys like Nathan Peterman are making a little over $1m/yr and still in the NFL. I guess it's possible Peterman is amazing at film study and helping the starter prep for the week (we know he's absolutely awful at actually playing). Perhaps for Collaros making $500k, starting, and winning Championships in Canada is more appealing than making $1m and holding a clipboard for a bad team? Dunno.

Yeah, that was my exact line of thinking. He starts, paid well and has been successful there. The NFL would likely chew him up and spit him out. Even with a pay increase like that, it would be tough going from being the guy to just holding the clipboard.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 05:21 AM)J24 Wrote: Scooby Wright has looked good at LB.

Truth, fun dude too. BTW Cookus is the QB for the Philadelphia Stars, not Birmingham who Scooby plays LB for.

Also Josh Shaw our old Corner plays on some team and has been making a lot of plays.

I truly think the USFL has been much better than the XFL and all the other leagues they have tried to create. Hard hitting, they 
let the players play, refs are not interfering too much, close games. There might of been a couple blow outs but about every game
is close whether a 7-1 team is playing a 1-7 team like yesterday. It is going to be a close entertaining game.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 01:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Also Josh Shaw our old Corner plays on some team and has been making a lot of plays.

Shaw was a big fast DB with some talent.  Dropped in the draft (4th round) due to character issue.  Injured himself jumping from a 2nd floor window in an attempt to avoid a domestic assault charge and lied about it to the coach.

I was going to say forget about ever seeing him in the NFL because he was kicked out of the league for betting against his own team when he was on the Cardinals.  But I looked it up and was shocked to see that he has been re-instated and is eligible to play in the NFL again.  Only problem is that he is 30 years old now.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 01:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Shaw was a big fast DB with some talent.  Dropped in the draft (4th round) due to character issue.  Injured himself jumping from a 2nd floor window in an attempt to avoid a domestic assault charge and lied about it to the coach.

I was going to say forget about ever seeing him in the NFL because he was kicked out of the league for betting against his own team when he was on the Cardinals.  But I looked it up and was shocked to see that he has been re-instated and is eligible to play in the NFL again.  Only problem is that he is 30 years old now.

Doubt we bring him back with this coaching staff, but Shaw is a good Corner, the off field stuff withstanding.

Always thought he would be a great Safety too.
Reply/Quote
Tiger

I've followed the league this year and I like the talent and for the most part entertaining. Just the aesthetics with not many fans just screams to me help! It could be sooo much better.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 05:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cookus the QB for Birmingham might be a good thought for us as a backup QB. I have been impressed with him.

Might be an upgrade over Allen.

There is a WR on New Jersey, Kavantae Harris or something like that who is a speedster and leads the league in yards
pretty sure. Just to name a couple guys who might fit for depth.

Cookus is the QB for Philadelphia, not Birmingham Wink

I agree though, easily the most-impressive QB in the league. He's only had 1.5 bad games and has been let down by his oline quite a bit.

Collaros is nothing special; his teams have mainly won in spite of him, rather than because of him, even though his numbers have been pretty good for most of his career.

He's no Matt Dunigan, Anthony Calvillo or Damon Allen (all guys I've felt would have been halfway-decent in the NFL).

(06-12-2022, 05:21 AM)J24 Wrote: Scooby Wright has looked good at LB.

No he hasn't lol.

The first two games of the year, he was everywhere and making tackles, but have barely seen/heard his name since then.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2022, 11:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Cookus is the QB for Philadelphia, not Birmingham Wink

I agree though, easily the most-impressive QB in the league. He's only had 1.5 bad games and has been let down by his oline quite a bit.

No he hasn't lol.

The first two games of the year, he was everywhere and making tackles, but have barely seen/heard his name since then.

Yes, corrected that with Case Cookus in my other post. I like him and Kyle Sloter if he can quit turning the ball over.

I think I like the New Orleans Breakers the most out of any team in the USFL. I like their passing game and how they play Defense.

Also like the Philly Stars with Cookus.

BTW, Scooby Wright got hurt and that is why you haven't seen/heard his name since then Truck.
Reply/Quote