Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any teachers here?
Explain how these students have gone through our primary and secondary education system and made it into college without knowing what the Civil War was all about?
This is baffling to me...and is not the only YOUTUBE video out there that exposes the stupidity of these democrat voters. Seems to be a pandemic of ignorance within this age group across the US.

I bet a homeless bum could tell you something about the Civil War.

It seems education has turned more away from focusing on History and more toward STEM, The question is: Is it a good thing?

For instance I have no idea why Bellamany's original Pledge of Allegiance is not a requirement throughout matriculation.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
If they went to school in Texas they probably had teachers telling them the Civil war either didn't exist, or that slaves loved being slaves.
Well, I teach in Maryland, the best state for education, so I'm not sure what other states are doing. We teach the Civil War and Reconstruction extensively.

The push in Social Studies is to develop your "reading like a historian" skills and your argumentative and explanatory writing skills. We look at a lot of primary documents as opposed to reading more out of text books. Have the students use these sources to support their claims in their essay "Who killed Reconstruction?".
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

What I have found interesting is that history throughout the decades is taught differently depending on the region. For instance, where I am originally from, my parents received a lot of information on the Seven Years/French and Indian War, some Revolutionary War history, and a bit more of the Civil War. The reason being is that the Seven Years War was a more local influence.

Here where we are, so much time is spent on the Civil War it is amazing. So many battles were fought here, Stonewall Jackson spent a good deal of time here, Sheridan's Raid, the VMI cadets marching down the Valley to battle, etc. Other 18th and 19th century wars are discusses, but not nearly as in depth as the Civil War. My wife, on the other hand, had much more about the Revolution because of where she is from.

Just something that I have found very interesting over time.
those Democrat voters were probably educated by conservatives who didn't like what was being taught. As I've mentioned before, the district I grew up in didn't like that text books taught evolution and not creationism. Their solution: Glue the pages shut pertaining to the big bang, Darwin, etc.

wasn't it a district in Texas or Georgia that refused to use a history book because it felt it didn't accurately portray the souths reasons for leaving the union?

if you're having a problem with kids not getting, vote Democrat. We just got a Republican governor first one in two terms. First thing he did, cut education spending.
These things have been done across many demographics and the point of them is to make people look stupid. The reality is you don't know how many people they had to ask to get those who answered wrong or didn't answer. The other thing is people tend to lock up on camera. It happens all the time, and is one of the reason there are so many hilarious interviews on the internet. Using something like this as proof or justification for anything is a bit of a reach. If you want to see some that are less politically driven go watch Jimmy Kimmels version of this.
(02-04-2016, 02:10 AM)Vlad Wrote: This is baffling to me...and is not the only YOUTUBE video out there that exposes the stupidity of these democrat voters.

All of those people were Republicans.
First of all she did not say which civil war. There have been a lot of them.

And if she is asking the question about "winning independence" in Texas shouldn't the answer be "Mexico"?
(02-04-2016, 10:54 AM)Au165 Wrote: These things have been done across many demographics and the point of them is to make people look stupid. The reality is you don't know how many people they had to ask to get those who answered wrong or didn't answer. 

This.

Ask a lot of people and you will get a few dumb answers.