Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone but...
Every year there is a player you all sense will bust or not fit and hope the Bengals do not take. In the first round, who is your "anyone but" pick?

Mine's to start...

Jahmyr Gibbs - No rb not named Robinson in the first.

Brian Branch - A sleeper option that may be available. Same type of prospect we took in Hill? I think so even though I think Safety of future is still a need.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Darnell Washington
Reply/Quote
DaWand Jones

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Nolan Smith
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Luke Musgrave

I am not saying he'll definitely bust, but he only had 47 total receptions for 633 yards and 2 touchdowns, despite playing in all 32 games in his first 3 years (13 starts).

He may have broken out in his senior year, (and was showing signs of that with 11 receptions, 169 yards in a touchdown in two games in 2022) but unfortunately he was injured before he could make that leap in production.

That's just way too low of production to justify a first round pick, even if he runs a fast 40 yard dash.

I'd take a risk on him in the 2nd round though.
Reply/Quote
Dawand Jones
Reply/Quote
+3 on Jones.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals plan to do any movement laterally on plays, no thanks to DaWand Jones.
Dude is literally an immovable object.
If Bengals stick much more to a gap scheme though, I could be ok with Jones.

Also, I'm leery of Musgrave. Injuries have plagued him, but he's never really been too productive in college.
I have him behind Mayer, Washington, and even Kincaid on my list of TEs that I want. Possibly even behind LaPorta.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals plan to do any movement laterally on plays, no thanks to DaWand Jones.

Also, I'm leery of Musgrave. Injuries have plagued him, but he's never really been too productive in college.
I have him behind Mayer, Washington, and even Kincaid on my list of TEs that I want. Possibly even behind LaPorta.

Any player with that severe of scheme limiting traits is definitely not 1st round pick material.  In order to win championships, offenses must be capable of switching schemes to keep defensive coordinators honest.  Dawand Jones simply is too limited in what he can offer.  Meanwhile, a player like Darnell Wright has demonstrated the ability to perform in a variety of ways.  He's as effective firing straight off the ball as he is at getting second and even third level blocks downfield.  Athletic enough to keep his body in front of edge rushers, yet big and strong enough to handle the toughest of bull-rushers.

IF, the Bengals go OT at the end of the 1st round, I sincerely hope that it's Darnell Wright.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 01:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Any player with that severe of scheme limiting traits is definitely not 1st round pick material.  In order to win championships, offenses must be capable of switching schemes to keep defensive coordinators honest.  Dawand Jones simply is too limited in what he can offer.  Meanwhile, a player like Darnell Wright has demonstrated the ability to perform in a variety of ways.  He's as effective firing straight off the ball as he is at getting second and even third level blocks downfield.  Athletic enough to keep his body in front of edge rushers, yet big and strong enough to handle the toughest of bull-rushers.

IF, the Bengals go OT at the end of the 1st round, I sincerely hope that it's Darnell Wright.

You don't gotta sell me on Darnell Wright over DaWand Jones lol.
I agree that if you can get a guy who isn't limited to a particular style/scheme, that is a good thing, but I can understand if Pollack may want someone due to what he wants to run.

Also, put me in the camp of not necessarily wanting a 1st round OT. I want Carman to have a chance first.
I like Warren McClendon Jr. as a Rd 3-4 RT who could arguably start immediately and has a championship pedigree already.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Jalen Carter?
Reply/Quote
Gibbs. We'd just have to cross our fingers and hope that the offense will change to accommodate him and that he can do a good Alvin Kamara impression.

I also can't help but get some Cedric Ogbuehi vibes from Anton Harrison. There are more first round/early second round kind of guys who give me vibes of being too soft or not having the body to hold up to NFL punishment - too many to list. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 05:35 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Gibbs. We'd just have to cross our fingers and hope that the offense will change to accommodate him and that he can do a good Alvin Kamara impression.

I also can't help but get some Cedric Ogbuehi vibes from Anton Harrison. There are more first round/early second round kind of guys who give me vibes of being too soft or not having the body to hold up to NFL punishment - too many to list. 

I can't see Harrison being in consideration now that they have Orlando Brown.
Harrison doesn't seem like a good candidate for the right side, to me.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 05:35 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Gibbs. We'd just have to cross our fingers and hope that the offense will change to accommodate him and that he can do a good Alvin Kamara impression.

I agree 100% on Harrison. He gives me Ogbuehi vibes as well.

The other guy I don’t want is Luke Musgraves.
Reply/Quote
a Tight End
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 11:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: DaWand Jones

(04-18-2023, 12:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: Dawand Jones

(04-18-2023, 12:53 PM)bengaloo Wrote: +3 on Jones.

(04-18-2023, 12:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the Bengals plan to do any movement laterally on plays, no thanks to DaWand Jones.

I need some answers on the hate of dawand jones…. #1. He dominated Georgia. More so that cj stroud did. #2. He was asked to pull plenty. #3. He’s so big and long, it’s why he dosent give up anything
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 10:41 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I need some answers on the hate of dawand jones…. #1. He dominated Georgia. More so that cj stroud did. #2. He was asked to pull plenty. #3. He’s so big and long, it’s why he dosent give up anything

If you really want me to go into it...

I don't like his footwork, and I think he looks slow and clunky in his movement.
He also got by quite a lot with his length, mass, and strength against a majority of his college competition.
He definitely needs refinement to keep consistent success against NFL guys.

There's a reason he didn't run any agility drills. He knows he's not as athletic as guys 50-75 lbs lighter than him. He's a brute that is going to win with size, length, and power. If he's in a scheme that doesn't have him have to move as much/often, I think he'll be better.
I am nervous he can succeed if he's having to move a lot.
But is he the "glass eater" that Pollack likes? Absolutely.
Maybe he has "enough" athleticism where combined with his elite other attributes he will be fine. But you can't say he's one of the most athletic OTs in the class.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Darnell Wright.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2023, 11:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you really want me to go into it...

I don't like his footwork, and I think he looks slow and clunky in his movement.
He also got by quite a lot with his length, mass, and strength against a majority of his college competition.
He definitely needs refinement to keep consistent success against NFL guys.

There's a reason he didn't run any agility drills. He knows he's not as athletic as guys 50-75 lbs lighter than him. He's a brute that is going to win with size, length, and power. If he's in a scheme that doesn't have him have to move as much/often, I think he'll be better.
I am nervous he can succeed if he's having to move a lot.
But is he the "glass eater" that Pollack likes? Absolutely.
Maybe he has "enough" athleticism where combined with his elite other attributes he will be fine. But you can't say he's one of the most athletic OTs in the class.

I think his footwork is good for his size… of course he’s not gonna be as athletic as 300lb lineman… but that’s where the size and length come in. Take kc for example. He’d be facing primarily a bull rusher. You’re not bull rushing jones. He got by quite a bit with his size length athleticism yes, because he has traits nobody has. I’d say there are 2 elite tackles in this class. Johnson and skoronski. Dawand jones would be 1a in that 2nd tier just a smidge above wright
Reply/Quote
Well shoot. We just missed out on an athletic tackle for those looking for a guy who can really move. Unfortunately Ogbuehi re-signed with the Jets today.

Goal #1 for our OL. Protect Burrow. We averaged 35 pass attempts per game and 23 rush attempt per game. What sounds better. Having a mountain at RT who defenders are not going through and have to go half a mile around to get to Burrow on his 35 drop backs? Or a fancy athlete *cough* Ogbuehi *cough* who will pull on maybe a handful of run plays every game?

Chiefs just won a super bowl with our new LT who ran a 40 an entire half second slower than Dawand. And the year before the Rams won with giant sloth Rob Havenstein at RT.

With the giants it’s all about health though. And where he is at mentally. If he is healthy and doesn’t have any injury concerns and his head seems to be in the right place. He needs to be in consideration.

But I’m buying the Carman hype. I think our giant RT is already on the team.
Reply/Quote