Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else using the Windows 10?
(08-14-2015, 11:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, I have a Surface 3 with Windows 10 on the way. This evening, my cat knocked over a drink onto my laptop and it is dead. So, I both thanked and cursed him for causing me to order a Surface (I have been wanting one, but hadn't finished saving for one) and ordered one using my wife's computer.

So I will be able to report more on that in about a week or so. LOL

You will absolutely love the surface, especially since I think you mentioned in the past you're going back to school, it has been a real godsend for me.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 07:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So now I find myself looking for a good free, antivirus software. My work provides free antivirus stuff, but they do not yet have it available for 10. Any leads?

This it what has been recommended to me until our virus protection updates for use on 10.

"we recommend using built in windows defender paired with Malwarebytes anti malware ( free edition) until they provide a update."

I'm not sure if it's available for 10 yet, but I've come to like avast lately.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 07:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: ...a I missing something? Is it not necessary and/or I there something else I should be looking for instead?

i have never used virus protection software.  i'm just careful.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 09:48 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: i have never used virus protection software.  i'm just careful.

Well, there is that. I am pretty careful as well, I have just always used it because, well, it was free. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 09:48 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: i have never used virus protection software.  i'm just careful.

Spoken like a true Pro-Choicer
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 10:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Spoken like a true Pro-Choicer

mkay

Reply/Quote
Update on my infected machine with Win 10.  As it turns out, my Toshiba was never registered on the Toshiba site, meaning the original warranty had never been activated.  So, my awesome brother in law proceeded to register it, and they will be sending a new hard drive.  The original was a 500 gig, with Win 8.1, but for just $10, we took the upgrade to 1 terabyte loaded with Win 10. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 08:15 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: You will absolutely love the surface, especially since I think you mentioned in the past you're going back to school, it has been a real godsend for me.

I'm really looking at this....excited to see what the Surface 4 has in store.  I'm waiting for the new Intel processors, in part because I think the wireless features will really benefit ultrabooks/tablets that have less ports.

But 12" might be a hair too small for me (have 13.3" and think it's about perfect)...rumors are there will be a 14" Surface Pro 4. It's kind of remarkable what MS has been able to do with this when you compare it to top ultrabooks, which despite the added bulk don't have more ports, better battery life or even in many cases better keyboards.

How do you like the keyboard?  I'm thinking I'd get a bigger/sturdier bluetooth keyboard (which is still plenty portable to go in a computer bag).  The dock is also nice, but not a fan of its portability nor the fact it doesn't have adjustable viewing angles.

I'm also looking at a tablet, and even with the 14" I might not need a tablet (though I can't imagine lugging the Surface to the gym to watch tv on the treadmill - too much money in that thing to risk a drop).  But with the stylus features it might lead me to a different tablet.
Reply/Quote
As far as virus/malware....running Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes and Panda with no issues. All free, and have only ever had a few minor viruses (nothing difficult to get rid of).
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 10:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm really looking at this....excited to see what the Surface 4 has in store.  I'm waiting for the new Intel processors, in part because I think the wireless features will really benefit ultrabooks/tablets that have less ports.

But 12" might be a hair too small for me (have 13.3" and think it's about perfect)...rumors are there will be a 14" Surface Pro 4. It's kind of remarkable what MS has been able to do with this when you compare it to top ultrabooks, which despite the added bulk don't have more ports, better battery life or even in many cases better keyboards.

How do you like the keyboard?  I'm thinking I'd get a bigger/sturdier bluetooth keyboard (which is still plenty portable to go in a computer bag).  The dock is also nice, but not a fan of its portability nor the fact it doesn't have adjustable viewing angles.

I'm also looking at a tablet, and even with the 14" I might not need a tablet (though I can't imagine lugging the Surface to the gym to watch tv on the treadmill - too much money in that thing to risk a drop).  But with the stylus features it might lead me to a different tablet.

I quickly fell in love with my Surface. I was concerned about the screen size, but I have the even smaller non-pro version and it works out really well for me. The keyboard I have found to be surprisingly sturdy, but I haven't really put it through the ringer yet. I am going to get the dock when my wife upgrades and keep it in our office, connected to a full keyboard and monitor for use when we really need the full setup.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I feel like a little child. I literally am on a desktop PC, running Windows 7. Am I outta' touch?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 10:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm really looking at this....excited to see what the Surface 4 has in store.  I'm waiting for the new Intel processors, in part because I think the wireless features will really benefit ultrabooks/tablets that have less ports.

But 12" might be a hair too small for me (have 13.3" and think it's about perfect)...rumors are there will be a 14" Surface Pro 4.  It's kind of remarkable what MS has been able to do with this when you compare it to top ultrabooks, which despite the added bulk don't have more ports, better battery life or even in many cases better keyboards.

The only thing I regret about my experience with the Surface is that I was only going to be in the US for about 3 weeks, and wasn't able to stay until the release of the Surface 3, the changes to the kickstand and stylus were small but stellar. Other than those 2 things, I can't think of much I would change. 

It certainly lives up to the billing that it is a tablet that can replace your laptop, and I'd imagine it's true of both Surface and Surface Pro. At least for me. I'm sure that depending on what you want to do with it and personal preference, it may or may not be a perfect fit. The screen is plenty big for anything that I need to do with it, although there have been times that the size was lacking, like having two documents open side by side. 14" would be getting to my personal upper limit for a tablet/computer, but from what I've seen microsoft is now trying to kill the Macbook Air with these things, so I don't imagine it would be a dealbreaker by any stretch of the imagination. 

I have the keyboard with the real keys (forget what they market it as) and it works very well. Do need to have very basic upkeep as sometimes if the connector gets dirty it can fail to recognize it, but it's usually just a paper towel swipe and solved. On bluetooth, I do remember a dip in performance with more than one device (I was using a mouse and headphones) connected, but I would imagine it was worked out between the Pro 2 and 3 and certainly 4. 

The Surface has replaced any need for a tablet and laptop for me personally, and given my limited necessities for computer specs and the sort, if I somehow justify getting the Pro 4, I'll more than likely buy the dock and a bigger display/keyboard and have it replace my desktop as well.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 08:15 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: You will absolutely love the surface, especially since I think you mentioned in the past you're going back to school, it has been a real godsend for me.

My daughter loves hers.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 12:49 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: It certainly lives up to the billing that it is a tablet that can replace your laptop, and I'd imagine it's true of both Surface and Surface Pro.

I have the keyboard with the real keys (forget what they market it as) and it works very well.

It occurred to me that not getting the keyboard cover might mean something else to get the display at the right height and angle.

I don't know.  Spec-wise, it rivals top ultrabooks with the i7 and 256/512GB SSD.  And the new one is rumored to be even more powerful, with the new i7's (worth the wait) and possibly even 16gigs of ram - I do need the power for work, although 8gigs of ram is usually sufficient.

I've settled on 13.3" as my preference because I find it's about the largest I can go while being small enough for airplane use.  Although I would probably go 14" if possible.

I haven't had a desktop in about 10 years. The docking station is definitely a good alternative, if you're lazy - you don't really need the dock other than for the extra ports (which you can buy an adapter for what you need for like $20).

Thing is, I don't expect to use the tablet feature, at all really.  Well, maybe other than taking notes with the stylus (but I hear that's kind of hit and miss in general with tablets).

The second display I'd intend to solve with another tablet, for when I don't have a monitor to connect.  So if I'm getting another tablet anyway, not sure Surface has any real benefit to me.  Of course, it's competitively priced so I'll consider it.  Probably comes down to what comes out first with the new i7's.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2015, 09:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Update on my infected machine with Win 10.  As it turns out, my Toshiba was never registered on the Toshiba site, meaning the original warranty had never been activated.  So, my awesome brother in law proceeded to register it, and they will be sending a new hard drive.  The original was a 500 gig, with Win 8.1, but for just $10, we took the upgrade to 1 terabyte loaded with Win 10. 

Why are they warrantying your hard drive that was "infected" I assume by a virus?  Follow up question, why don't you just do a full reinstall of the operating system which would wipe the drive completely thus removing any virus and rendering your drive useful again?

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 10:05 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Why are they warrantying your hard drive that was "infected" I assume by a virus?  Follow up question, why don't you just do a full reinstall of the operating system which would wipe the drive completely thus removing any virus and rendering your drive useful again?

I really don't have an answer for that.  Matt (brother in law) said we couldn't reload the OS, because the HD patrician was so damaged that it wouldn't even boot.  Evidently, he knew what to write in the warranty claim, next thing I know, he's telling me that my new HD will be in on Tuesday.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote