Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ever un-retire?
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm soon to be 53 and don't know if I can just sit around anymore. I do enjoy teaching kids the game of golf, but this time of year it's pretty slow. It gets a little old thinking of things to do. Plus starting to put a little weight...
Reply/Quote
Not myself, but my father did. He retired from his UAW job, back in 1997 at age 51. For him, retirement lasted all of a few weeks. He couldn't stand not having anything productive to do. He took a job working 3 days per week, and loves it. We works 3 days per week, does his stuff around the house for 2 days, and has his weekends free for whatever he wants. He'll be 72 on Friday, with no signs of retiring again, any time soon.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 12:23 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm soon to be 53 and don't know if I can just sit around anymore. I do enjoy teaching kids the game of golf, but this time of year it's pretty slow. It gets a little old thinking of things to do. Plus starting to put a little weight...

when my grandpa retired he got a job in his passion which was golf as a ranger on a course..

I'm sure you can find something you want to do.
Reply/Quote
My wife kindly informed me I will be working until they toss me in a forever box. I gave her "the look." She returned "the look" and won that battle immediately. Damnit!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 01:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not myself, but my father did.  He retired from his UAW job, back in 1997 at age 51.  For him, retirement lasted all of a few weeks.  He couldn't stand not having anything productive to do.  He took a job working 3 days per week, and loves it.  We works 3 days per week, does his stuff around the house for 2 days, and has his weekends free for whatever he wants.  He'll be 72 on Friday, with no signs of retiring again, any time soon.

Pretty much what I am thinking of doing. I have a good friend that owns an engineering firm, that says he could use me. Not so sure of working long hours again though. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 02:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My wife kindly informed me I will be working until they toss me in a forever box. I gave her "the look." She returned "the look" and won that battle immediately. Damnit!

HaHaHa, funny because when I was in the Navy, I had guys tell me, I could scare them by my look. My kids tell me all the time, their friends are scared of me, but ain't even in the same league as my wife!!
Reply/Quote
Damn I can’t wait to have the luxury of being able to ***** about not having to work. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I unretired right after leaving high school. At the ripe old age of 18 I thought I could easily manage being broke forever..  Turns out I was right. I've managed to be broke for the past 40+ years with relative ease.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Not sure if it classifies as unretiring, but I retired from Active Duty Military and now work as a DOD civilian. I will say it's pretty good seeing all the things the Soldiers have to do and know it's not a requirement for me any longer.

About 5 more years and I can retire from Civil Service and that's when I'll take the job collecting the carts at Walmart
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote