Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone ever wake up paralyzed before?
Kind of weird, but lately whenever I sleep on my back and I wake up in the morning from my slumber, I am unable to move any part of my body for around 2-3 seconds.

Not sure if this is normal or what, but I have to forcefully think about moving my body until I am actually able to do so. Anyone else have these kind of issues? Is it just some kind of weird natural sleep state or something?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 05:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Kind of weird, but lately whenever I sleep on my back and I wake up in the morning from my slumber, I am unable to move any part of my body for around 2-3 seconds.

Not sure if this is normal or what, but I have to forcefully think about moving my body until I am actually able to do so. Anyone else have these kind of issues? Is it just some kind of weird natural sleep state or something?

It's called sleep paralysis. I do some and the wife is very frequent. Just a lil scary isn't it?
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
I had that happen for about 3 months a few years back.  Had a back incident just before that happened that was pretty bad, but never got any medical help for whatever stupid reason (e.g. tough guy syndrome).  Believe I slightly compacted some discs or had a neck stinger or something along those lines.  Anyway, for a few months after that, I couldnt sleep past 5 AM or so, no matter how much booze or toxins I crammed down my gullet the night before.  I'd wake up with some back pains, but couldn't immediately move to stretch or reposition.  It was really weird.  Other odd part of that time was I noticed I wasn't moving in my sleep at all.  I's wake up in the exact position I fell asleep, on my back.  This is very weird for me because I've always been a pretty active sleeper, had boughts of sleepwalking growing up that I finally got over.

Did you have a recent back / neck injury by any chance?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With it only lasting a few seconds and recurring, could be cataplexy. Might want to keep an eye out for narcolepsy.

That'll be $140.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 05:42 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: It's called sleep paralysis. I do some and the wife is very frequent. Just a lil scary isn't it?

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't sleep paralysis last longer than a few seconds? My understanding was it lasts a few minutes, or even longer.
Reply/Quote
Sleep paralysis. Your mind is awake, but not connected to your body yet.

It is a scary feeling. It happens to me every once in a while.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 05:42 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: It's called sleep paralysis. I do some and the wife is very frequent. Just a lil scary isn't it?

Holy shit.  I had no idea thats what its called.  Looking at the webmd page, looks like sleeping on your back can be a cause.  wow.  Learn something everyday.  Thanks man.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 05:46 PM)Benton Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, doesn't sleep paralysis last longer than a few seconds? My understanding was it lasts a few minutes, or even longer.

I don't know mine usually last 45sec.- 1minute. I can hear everything,but can't move a muscle. It scare the shit out me every time. Give you small dose of what paralyzed people live with. At least it seems that long. 

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 05:51 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: I don't know mine usually last 45sec.- 1minute. I can hear everything,but can't move a muscle. It scare the shit out me every time. Give you small dose of what paralyzed people live with. At least it seems that long. 

Hate to hear that. Hope it goes away for you. I don't have a lot of phobias, but being paralyzed would be up there.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 05:44 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I had that happen for about 3 months a few years back.  Had a back incident just before that happened that was pretty bad, but never got any medical help for whatever stupid reason (e.g. tough guy syndrome).  Believe I slightly compacted some discs or had a neck stinger or something along those lines.  Anyway, for a few months after that, I couldnt sleep past 5 AM or so, no matter how much booze or toxins I crammed down my gullet the night before.  I'd wake up with some back pains, but couldn't immediately move to stretch or reposition.  It was really weird.  Other odd part of that time was I noticed I wasn't moving in my sleep at all.  I's wake up in the exact position I fell asleep, on my back.  This is very weird for me because I've always been a pretty active sleeper, had boughts of sleepwalking growing up that I finally got over.

Did you have a recent back / neck injury by any chance?

Never had a neck or back injury. I've done it since I was a kid. 

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 06:00 PM)Benton Wrote: Hate to hear that. Hope it goes away for you. I don't have a lot of phobias, but being paralyzed would be up there.

I've done it since I was kid. 

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 06:02 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: I've done it since I was kid. 

Stress related?

I sleepwalk. It's not too common now, but used to whenever stuff was building up, you could pretty much bet you'd find me out walking around at night. I lived with a girl in my 20s and she made me start sleeping with pants on because she was afraid I'd walk out naked one night.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 06:01 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Never had a neck or back injury. I've done it since I was a kid. 

There's a documentary on Netflix called The Nightmare. It's all about sleep paralysis.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Thats weird.  Do you normally sleep on your back?

Way off topic, but just thought of this for the first time in a long time...  Probably the craziest sleep experience of my life, and that is saying something considering the sleep walking stage I went through.  Most of the sleep walking I don't remember at all, but this has always stuck with me...  One time as a really little guy, say 5 -6 years old, I was a little hyped up going to bed.  Just that kid with too much energy holed up in the bedroom.  So I started standing at the very end of the bed and just falling face first into my pillow.  Hands to my side, like a plank falling over.  Woooosh, right into the pillow.  Well I did this over and over 10 or so times, and then BAM! I woke up.  Same exact position, hands to the side, sun beaming through the window.  It was like I hit the pillow and then I woke up.  I was positive I traveled through time.  30+ years later, I know I didn't travel through time, but god damn if that wasn't something incredible.  I must have fallen asleep mid-fall or something.  Tried to recreate it for months after, never worked.

/r
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 06:05 PM)Benton Wrote: Stress related?

I sleepwalk. It's not too common now, but used to whenever stuff was building up, you could pretty much bet you'd find me out walking around at night. I lived with a girl in my 20s and she made me start sleeping with pants on because she was afraid I'd walk out naked one night.

Yeah.  Cuz 'sleepwalking'.  Was she tired a lot too?
Reply/Quote
It's happened to me once in my life. I'm fine with it never repeating. It felt like it lasted minutes, it was probably 10 seconds tops.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 06:08 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: There's a documentary on Netflix called The Nightmare. It's all about sleep paralysis.

I'll have check it out

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 06:14 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Thats weird.  Do you normally sleep on your back?

Way off topic, but just thought of this for the first time in a long time...  Probably the craziest sleep experience of my life, and that is saying something considering the sleep walking stage I went through.  Most of the sleep walking I don't remember at all, but this has always stuck with me...  One time as a really little guy, say 5 -6 years old, I was a little hyped up going to bed.  Just that kid with too much energy holed up in the bedroom.  So I started standing at the very end of the bed and just falling face first into my pillow.  Hands to my side, like a plank falling over.  Woooosh, right into the pillow.  Well I did this over and over 10 or so times, and then BAM! I woke up.  Same exact position, hands to the side, sun beaming through the window.  It was like I hit the pillow and then I woke up.  I was positive I traveled through time.  30+ years later, I know I didn't travel through time, but god damn if that wasn't something incredible.  I must have fallen asleep mid-fall or something.  Tried to recreate it for months after, never worked.

/r
I usually go sleep on my side,but every time I've done it,I've woke up on my back. 

Reply/Quote
a Few times...

Once i couldnt move and realized the dog was sleeping on my chest

Once it was cause i was in a sleeping bag and the tent had collapsed.

and once my arms where both numb and i was wrapped up in blankets and couldnt move.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2015, 06:05 PM)Benton Wrote: Stress related?

I read a lot on line about it. Most that sticks out to me was sleep deprivation is a common cause to it among few others. My job I go in under ground at 10 and we start out at 5am. Usually take 40mins get out side so I'm home by 6 most mornings and I can't sleep in day time so through the week i might average 3-4 hours sleep a day. 4is sleeping in late. 

Reply/Quote