Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Apparantly the receivers didn't know the playcall on some plays
(09-23-2019, 04:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I disagree with this article completely and dismiss it as the classic "crap on the Bengals" stuff rags like this are always spewing.  The DB NEVER stopped moving.  He got up immediately.  If that was the Bengals, and they just got a game-ending INT against pitt or NE, the so-called "gave himself up" rule wouldn't be enforced because he never stopped moving.  

I liked that Taylor was thinking 2 points, the ball, and a FG would win it.  That would have been amazing. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 10:35 AM)Wyche Wrote: According to the presser, Zac didn't agree that the player gave himself up. Personally, I'm glad to see a HC get in a refs face after 16 years of clapping.

The player not realizing the play isn't over shouldn't mean "he gave himself up". You have to know what is going on around you. Situational awareness is important. It's a stupid rule. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 10:18 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: The player not realizing the play isn't over shouldn't mean "he gave himself up". You have to know what is going on around you. Situational awareness is important. It's a stupid rule. 

For me what matters is when the official blew the whistle. If he's still on the ground when the whistle blew, ok, he gave himself up. But, if he's up and running - even in the wrong direction - before an official blows the whistle, to me, that should NOT be considered giving himself up and no official signal should have been given until he either was tackled, ran out of bounds or fumbled the ball.

Then again, this is also the same officiating crew that had a guy blow the whistle because Josh Allen was out of bounds well BEFORE Josh Allen was even near the sideline!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 01:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: For me what matters is when the official blew the whistle. If he's still on the ground when the whistle blew, ok, he gave himself up. But, if he's up and running - even in the wrong direction - before an official blows the whistle, to me, that should NOT be considered giving himself up and no official signal should have been given until he either was tackled, ran out of bounds or fumbled the ball.

Then again, this is also the same officiating crew that had a guy blow the whistle because Josh Allen was out of bounds well BEFORE Josh Allen was even near the sideline!

I agree. And looking at the video, he didnt give himself up the way he should have. In that situation or any turnover situation, a player giving themselves up should have to lay on the ground for a minimum of at least a couple or so seconds before ref blows the whistle. 

In this case he didn't lay there as seen below at the 11:15 mark of the highlight vid which was that final play.

This is a big deal imo, and the NFL needs to make a rule like that happen if it doesnt exist. If it does exist, then the refs screwed it up. Its really not much different than a player doing something dumb like dropping the ball celebrating right before crossing into the endzone even though they have all intentions of scoring. A lapse of judgement due to excitement should not trump technicalities of rules.

https://youtu.be/QJCiobVLuKI
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 11:33 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I guess.  Here are some pictures of Marvin Lewis screaming since that is apparently so damn essential to being an NFL head coach.

[Image: 1808hsezlw33upng.png]
[Image: pfrdpkaz36yicqds71jd]
[Image: 64933436.png]

I recall Marvin yelling at his players many times, not so much at refs. Maybe I just missed it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 02:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: I recall Marvin yelling at his players many times, not so much at refs. Maybe I just missed it.

Ida know...maybe he figured screaming at refs isn't the way to get them to start calling things in your favor.  
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 02:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know...maybe he figured screaming at refs isn't the way to get them to start calling things in your favor.  

Well, NOT screaming at them didn't work.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 02:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, NOT screaming at them didn't work.  Whatever

I'm pretty sure that giggling at them didn't work either....
Reply/Quote