Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April 6th Bengals Cap Space
Bell's contract is now listed 1.2 million with no guarantee. Carolina cut hm and his paying him 6 million in 2024 and why we got hm for a great price.

This leaves us with 24 million in cap space as of now, but effective cap space looking ahead to accounting for practice squad and 53 man roster, we have a little over 16 million.

May teams are negative in cap space in the future so at some point they will need to either restructure contracts, trade players or cut veterans to get under the cap.

If our goal is to roll over 10 million, we have 6 million to add FA's if the FO sees a team fit.

The only significant cap savings cut for us I see is Mie Hilton. If Hill beats him out as the slot cover corner, Bengals will gain 6 million in cap space. I like Hilton, not advocating we cut him, but a definite maybe for FO to consider after camp.

Of course, if we trade or give Tee a long term contract, we will add cap space. If traded, almost 22 million, if signed likely 8 to 10 million in 2024 depending on structure.

Great news is 3 weeks prior to draft, FO has a lot of flexibility in FA, and we also have 10 picks so a lot of flexibility to move around the board to get key players on Bengals board.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 12:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bell's contract is now listed 1.2 million with no guarantee. Carolina cut hm and his paying him 6 million in 2024 and why we got hm for a great price.

This leaves us with 24 million in cap space as of now, but effective cap space looking ahead to accounting for practice squad and 53 man roster, we have a little over 16 million.

May teams are negative in cap space in the future so at some point they will need to either restructure contracts, trade players or cut veterans to get under the cap.

If our goal is to roll over 10 million, we have 6 million to add FA's if the FO sees a team fit.

The only significant cap savings cut for us I see is Mie Hilton. If Hill beats him out as the slot cover corner, Bengals will gain 6 million in cap space. I like Hilton, not advocating we cut him, but a definite maybe for FO to consider after camp.

Of course, if we trade or give Tee a long term contract, we will add cap space. If traded, almost 22 million, if signed likely 8 to 10 million in 2024 depending on structure.

Great news is 3 weeks prior to draft, FO has a lot of flexibility in FA, and we also have 10 picks so a lot of flexibility to move around the board to get key players on Bengals board.

Great rundown.

I have a hard time imagining Hilton getting cut, with the corners not being settled. Even if Dax has much better physicals than Mike, you cannot teach his instincts and blitzing acumen. There is still a lot of value to keeping him around.

Not that you are campaigning  to give Hilton the boot.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 12:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bell's contract is now listed 1.2 million with no guarantee. Carolina cut hm and his paying him 6 million in 2024 and why we got hm for a great price.

Once they unload Higgins for an early 2nd they will have $45,000,000..... And can unload enough draft capital to the Vikings for JJ & extend him. Right now, the 2025 Bengals have a projected $90,000,000 of cap space.

They can trade multiple 1sts for Jeferson after getting a top 1/3rd 2nd rounder for Higgins. Because of the depth of this draft hits the Bengals at positions of need perfectly they can still grab OT, DT, TE, & CBs with similar grades in the 2nd-4th rounds EASILY.

There is NO other logical reason for the Bengals to leave THAT much cap space sitting there at this stage. None.

Chisel that in stone. Tattoo it on your chest. Put it in permanent ink. Hit SEND on the email. Plan your wedding (or, congrats, your impending divorce) around it...... It's happening.

Don't believe me? Don't think the Bengals would do so be cause it's too splashy or they can't afford it? It was reported by local media before start of last season THE BENGALS TRIED TO TRADE FOR AARON DONALD last off-season but it fell through. They would have taken on THAT contract and parted w draft picks to do so. They WANT big dog, impact guys and are efforting hard to get them. This ain't Mike Brown's Bengals any more. The FO wants to make some moves to WIN NOW.
Reply/Quote
If the league season (all teams have to be under the cap for top 53 and practice squad0, there are 14 of the 32 teams over the cap, a few others very close.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 01:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Once they unload Higgins for an early 2nd they will have $45,000,000..... And can unload enough draft capital to the Vikings for JJ & extend him. Right now, the 2025 Bengals have a projected $90,000,000 of cap space.

They can trade multiple 1sts for Jeferson after getting a top 1/3rd 2nd rounder for Higgins. Because of the depth of this draft hits the Bengals at positions of need perfectly they can still grab OT, DT, TE, & CBs with similar grades in the 2nd-4th rounds EASILY.

There is NO other logical reason for the Bengals to leave THAT much cap space sitting there at this stage. None.

Chisel that in stone. Tattoo it on your chest. Put it in permanent ink. Hit SEND on the email. Plan your wedding (or, congrats, your impending divorce) around it...... It's happening.

Don't believe me? Don't think the Bengals would do so be cause it's too splashy or they can't afford it? It was reported by local media before start of last season THE BENGALS TRIED TO TRADE FOR AARON DONALD last off-season but it fell through. They would have taken on THAT contract and parted w draft picks to do so. They WANT big dog, impact guys and are efforting hard to get them. This ain't Mike Brown's Bengals any more. The FO wants to make some moves to WIN NOW.

If they unload Higgin's 22 million, they would have 38 million just to clarify.

Personally, I like the idea of keeping Higgins in 2024 and the drafting Brian Thomas from LSU. He is faster version of Tee Higgins. Then use the extra cap money on a vert CB and a vet run stopping DT.

I love Jefferson, but not sure we can afford two 30 million a year WR's on our roster. That is a ton of eggs in one position group. 

Reply/Quote

Thanks for this Luvnit. We are sitting pretty nice right now. I like all the thoughts and the numbers as I am not the best at all this.

More of a dude who studies players than the cap.

(04-05-2024, 01:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If they unload Higgin's 22 million, they would have 38 million just to clarify.

Personally, I like the idea of keeping Higgins in 2024 and the drafting Brian Thomas from LSU. He is faster version of Tee Higgins. Then use the extra cap money on a vert CB and a vet run stopping DT.

I love Jefferson, but not sure we can afford two 30 million a year WR's on our roster. That is a ton of eggs in one position group. 

Agree, would rather draft Brian Thomas Jr, keep Tee for a year than have to pay both Chase and JJ 30+ million.

Too much dough in our 3 egg basket. But it is interesting what PDub brought up and as far fetched as it sounds is intriguing.

I just want us to focus on the trenches, but this can be done in the Draft. I like a lot of OT's and NT's in this Draft and the 3-techs, DT's
in Johnny Newton and Byron Murphy are extremely intriguing to me. I know we have Rankins and BJ Hill, but we could also cut BJ if we 
got a Newton or Murphy to free up dough and both are great at stopping the run and rushing the passer.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 01:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If they unload Higgin's 22 million, they would have 38 million just to clarify.

$38 is still plenty when you factor in the $90 next year and on and on, right?

I look at it like this....

Do I want JJ OR..... B Thomas & a 2025 1st along with some other less critical draft picks.

- Here's my math: Thomas would take the Bengals 2024 1st, so, trading that away is a wash. The other picks would be the 2025 1st and some extras.

The part I wouldn't love is Higgins AND the 2 1sts (2024 & 2025) because an early 2024 2nd I would move Higgins for to, say NE, puts the Bengals in a great spot for a very good RT to work behind Brown this season.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 02:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: $38 is still plenty when you factor in the $90 next year and on and on, right?

Do I want JJ OR..... B Thomas & a 2025 1st along with some other less critical draft picks.

- Here's my math: Thomas would take the Bengals 2024 1st, so, trading that away is a wash. The other picks would be the 2025 1st and some extras.

The part I wouldn't love is Higgins AND the 2 1sts (2024 & 2025) because an early 2024 2nd I would move Higgins for to, say NE, puts the Bengals in a great spot for a very good RT to work behind Brown this season.

It is interesting. The only way I would do this if Bengals FO were to have the Jefferson 5-year contract agreed upon. It would be crazy to give up multiple #1 picks for a player not signed long. term. 

Vikings did trade Diggs. It would also give them more draft capital to move up to #3 or #4 and grab a much needed QB.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 02:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is interesting. The only way I would do this if Bengals FO were to have the Jefferson 5-year contract agreed upon. It would be crazy to give up multiple #1 picks for a player not signed long. term. 

Vikings did trade Diggs. It would also give them more draft capital to move up to #3 or #4 and grab a much needed QB.

1,000% with you on the extension stuff. No way the Bengals do that without already having that done.

They did trade Diggs & with a great result, so hopefully they feel confident in their ability to move on from JJ. Currently, their roster is devastated. The offense is literally destroyed & the defense has next to nothing. They have JJ on offense & then nothing. Arron Jones? Pfffft! Hockenson blew his ACL & MCL out in week 17, I believe? They need a complete and total overhaul. It has to be the absolute worst roster in the league as of right now.

The Vikings paying JJ would be crippling to them compared to what they NEED to do roster wide. It would NOT be for the Bengals. Not at all, because they have their core guys on manageable deals, including Burrow and a TON of cash coming up.....

Bengals upcoming money according to Overthecap: 

2024 NO Higgins: $38M
2025: $90M
2026: $187MM

^ This leaves the Bengals only needing to pay Chase (2026 after his 5th year option), CTB, Shooter, & any of the 2023 draft picks they want to keep other than Murphy's 5th year option (if needed). That gives a TON of money for JJ & then plenty for filling in guys like they have been doing. They just need to keep drafting well and finding high value FAs.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 01:07 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Great rundown.

I have a hard time imagining Hilton getting cut, with the corners not being settled. Even if Dax has much better physicals than Mike, you cannot teach his instincts and blitzing acumen. There is still a lot of value to keeping him around.

Not that you are campaigning  to give Hilton the boot.

I sure hope we keep Mike Hilton, he earns his pay. I love it when Lou sends him in on a blitz, Mike disguises it so well.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 02:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: $38 is still plenty when you factor in the $90 next year and on and on, right?

That money is still going to have to fill a hole in the roster for every contract that leaves the books. It's not like the team will have a complete roster with an extra $90M to splurge on flashy additions to the team and contract extensions for players who have earned them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 03:04 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I sure hope we keep Mike Hilton, he earns his pay. I love it when Lou sends him in on a blitz, Mike disguises it so well.

Completely agree, love Mike. Hope we can win a Super Bowl this season before he moves on, that would be epic.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 03:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That money is still going to have to fill a hole in the roster for every contract that leaves the books. It's not like the team will have a complete roster with an extra $90M to splurge on flashy additions to the team and contract extensions for players who have earned them.

Yes, of course!

But the primary key players are basically on the roster and signed long term with a few exceptions, leaving a lot of that moneyband money in 2026 & beyond available. They were willing to trade for Aaron Donald and take on that contract. JJ would be similar. The Bengals are in position to do it.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 05:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Yes, of course!

But the primary key players are basically on the roster and signed long term with a few exceptions, leaving a lot of that moneyband money in 2026 & beyond available. They were willing to trade for Aaron Donald and take on that contract. JJ would be similar. The Bengals are in position to do it.

That sounds good in theory, but I don't see the Bengals as being "one offensive weapon" away from being unstoppable. In actuality, the Offense likely needs this "retooling" that they are currently going through, they need to become less predictable and tougher to defend by being able to attack defenses in multiple ways, rather than simply lining up in 11 personnel, 3WR sets and slingin' it.  They need to be able to utilize the backs, TEs, and run the damn ball when they want to, and it not be a surprise the defense in order for it to be successful.

What does that all mean? Well, they brought in a veteran TE, attained a younger RB that fits what they want out of him to do, they secured a patch at RT. It would be nice to see 2-3 OL drafted this class, along with a legit TE, a WR to replace Higgins, and a stud RB (unless they truly feel that RBBC is the future). That was just the Offensive side, they still have a gaping hole at NT and could use a true, lockdown boundary CB as the recent draft picks haven't showed a whole lot in that department thus far.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 01:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Once they unload Higgins for an early 2nd they will have $45,000,000..... And can unload enough draft capital to the Vikings for JJ & extend him. Right now, the 2025 Bengals have a projected $90,000,000 of cap space.

I will take back every negative thing I’ve said about the bengals off-season if they pulled this off. This would give them 3 all pro’s. At important positions: Qb, WR, WR. Doesn’t matter that it’s all on offense. That talent could win a Super Bowl, with the other pieces we have. I think financially we could do it, and if it cost us: Tee, a RT that wouldn’t start this year (pick 18), and another pick next year, even a 1st, so be it. We need to make bold moves. Go for it, go for a SB or 2.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 02:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: 1,000% with you on the extension stuff. No way the Bengals do that without already having that done.

They did trade Diggs & with a great result, so hopefully they feel confident in their ability to move on from JJ. Currently, their roster is devastated. The offense is literally destroyed & the defense has next to nothing. They have JJ on offense & then nothing. Arron Jones? Pfffft! Hockenson blew his ACL & MCL out in week 17, I believe? They need a complete and total overhaul. It has to be the absolute worst roster in the league as of right now.

The Vikings paying JJ would be crippling to them compared to what they NEED to do roster wide. It would NOT be for the Bengals. Not at all, because they have their core guys on manageable deals, including Burrow and a TON of cash coming up.....

Bengals upcoming money according to Overthecap: 

2024 NO Higgins: $38M
2025: $90M
2026: $187MM

^ This leaves the Bengals only needing to pay Chase (2026 after his 5th year option), CTB, Shooter, & any of the 2023 draft picks they want to keep other than Murphy's 5th year option (if needed). That gives a TON of money for JJ & then plenty for filling in guys like they have been doing. They just need to keep drafting well and finding high value FAs.

Odds of Tee being a Bengals in 2024,, 100%
Odds of Jettas being a Bengal in 2024,, 0%

Fans who think the Bengals are going to pull off a blockbuster deal involving these 2 are living in dream land.

They aren't paying 2 receivers 30 plus million. lol
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 07:27 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I will take back every negative thing I’ve said about the bengals off-season if they pulled this off. This would give them 3 all pro’s. At important positions: Qb, WR, WR. Doesn’t matter that it’s all on offense. That talent could win a Super Bowl, with the other pieces we have. I think financially we could do it, and if it cost us: Tee, a RT that wouldn’t start this year (pick 18), and another pick next year, even a 1st, so be it. We need to make bold moves. Go for it, go for a SB or 2.

PDub sure sold it very well lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 05:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Yes, of course!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 07:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That sounds good in theory, but I don't see the Bengals as being "one offensive weapon" away from being unstoppable. In actuality, the Offense likely needs this "retooling" that they are currently going through, they need to become less predictable and tougher to defend by being able to attack defenses in multiple ways, rather than simply lining up in 11 personnel, 3WR sets and slingin' it.  They need to be able to utilize the backs, TEs, and run the damn ball when they want to, and it not be a surprise the defense in order for it to be successful.

What does that all mean? Well, they brought in a veteran TE, attained a younger RB that fits what they want out of him to do, they secured a patch at RT. It would be nice to see 2-3 OL drafted this class, along with a legit TE, a WR to replace Higgins, and a stud RB (unless they truly feel that RBBC is the future). That was just the Offensive side, they still have a gaping hole at NT and could use a true, lockdown boundary CB as the recent draft picks haven't showed a whole lot in that department thus far.

- I agree on drafting multiple linemen and a long term answer for a TE. I disagree on needing a stud bell-cow back. No way the Bengals care about that at this point after watching the Chiefs trot a rotation of guys out there and dominate.

Also, positional value wise, a great TE would be absolutely fabulous for the Bengals to have since the best TEs make easily $10-15,000,000 less per year than the best wrs do.

- Higgins isn't versatile in any way. He just plays on the outside. Chase & JJ can move around and kill you from the inside and out. Boyd couldn't play the outside well at all.

- The new OC gave an interview not long after being hired and was asked about 11 personnel all the time. He stated a really obvious point: Their 3 best pass catchers were all wrs. So, they ran formations out there to keep them all on the field as often as possible. If they had a dominant TE group they would run formations out there that included them instead.

Going with my JJ trade, it checks every box you're askign for: Multiple sets featuring 2 wrs - or 3 (as needed) & flexibility to use multiple TEs to run routes.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 07:52 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

You need to listen to more of the beat writers podcasts. This was leaked out during the season last year that the Bengals had tried to trade for Aaron Donald last summer and it fell through.

Either James Rapien or PDJr talked about this on their shows.
Reply/Quote