Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Hill AND Bernard both in danger?
(08-13-2017, 04:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed.  Carson should replace Peerman.

I thought Hill looked good....and obviously Mixon did. If Gio comes back to form....this backfield could be scary.  Just what the doctor ordered.

Nonsense!

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:11 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We will have a three headed monster at RB this year.. each player will get their carries depending on game plan, score of game, defense tactics and hot hand of the players.. Hill and Mixon will probably get the majority of carries with Gio being more of the 3rd down back in my opinion.

That could definitely be the way to go. Didn't think of that.
Reply/Quote
Why would Gio's job be in jeopardy?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: We agree on no such thing.

Jeremy Hill has a base salary of 8.8K this year, costs us 1.1mil against the cap and has 2.6K in dead money. For team cap hit he ranks 27th. He is a valuable, durable back; we are not cutting him. Now if a contender loses a RB, then we may trade him as he would be valuable in a trade and I fully expect him to walk at the end of the year.

Now Gio’s cap hit is 3.6mil and he has proven to be less than durable. He seems like a possible cut until you look at his dead money of 3.2mil. The only way we cut him is to reach an injury settlement. He is not as valuable as Hill in a trade scenario.

Joe, Jeremy, and Gio will be on the team and we will wear defenses out.

I didn't take into consideration the cap hits. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 03:00 AM)Brimey Wrote: I think it's time for Carson to go ahead of Peerman. He can play special teams and is servicable at minimum as a back. Ced has done a great job, but i think we have a replacement. If Bernard isn't right, and Mixon gets hurt (God forbid) we are quickly weak at RB.

Maybe, but I don't take that leap this soon.   Show me a couple more games.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:03 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: I'm pretty sure we agree that Jeremy Hill's spot is on the line. But does anyone thing Gio could lose his spot as well?

Hill's spot is not on the line. Neither is Bernard's. Hill will play out his last year here, and if Mixon works out and stays healthy, Hill will be let go next year at the end of his contract. Gio is the change of pace back, he's not going anywhere. Peerman is the only regular fighting for his spot, and his only hope is what he brings to special teams....
Reply/Quote
I'm always amazed how many fans actually root for certain players to fail and have a terrible season so someone else can take their place or who think that trading them for a draft pick equals guaranteed success. Really? You can trade a guy who's had a couple of so-so seasons for anyone's number one top draft picks and a gazillion dollars because...well just because.. Makes sense to me.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:16 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Why would Gio's job be in jeopardy?

- 3.70 yards per carry last year
- 3.56 yards per carry in his last 17 games (10 last year + last 7 of 2015)
- 2 rushing TDs in his last 20 games
- 1 TD as a receiver in last 2 seasons
- Hasn't had a play go longer than 45 yards since 10-12-2014
- Has exactly 1 play that went over 46 yards in his career
- He's lacked durability and is coming off a torn ACL
- He has the 19th largest cap hit among RBs in the NFL, yet his role doesn't match that level of pay - https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/2017/
- Joe Mixon can catch and possibly play that role
- Both Mixon and Hill are easily better values right now
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 03:07 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm always amazed how many fans actually root for certain players to fail and have a terrible season so someone else can take their place or who think that trading them for a draft pick equals guaranteed success. Really? You can trade a guy who's had a couple of so-so seasons for anyone's number one top draft picks and a gazillion dollars because...well just because.. Makes sense to me.  

Who is rooting for a player to fail? 

Double points if you can find one in this thread.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:50 AM)Steve Wrote: I agree w/ you on this 3 headed monster this year..
but w/ hill's contract up this year I bet he walks in FA
b/c we just won't be able to afford all 3 of them....
Mixon & GIO can do it by themselves imo

I think you are correct on after this year but you never know with injuries etc that happen with football... also i don;t see use trading him this season 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 03:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - 3.70 yards per carry last year
- 3.56 yards per carry in his last 17 games (10 last year + last 7 of 2015)
- 2 rushing TDs in his last 20 games
- He has the 19th largest cap hit among RBs in the NFL, yet his role doesn't match that level of pay - https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/2017/
- Joe Mixon can catch and possibly play that role
- Both Mixon and Hill are easily better values right now

I thought Gio was hurt in 2016? So you are bashuing a guy's stats for blowing out his knee putting on the cut line after he has worked his ass off to get back to camp quickly.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Let's be honest WHO CARES?? If Nixon turns out to be Barry sanders we don't need them anyways let the best players play
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 04:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I thought Gio was hurt in 2016? So you are bashuing a guy's stats for blowing out his knee putting on the cut line after he has worked his ass off to get back to camp quickly.

1. Literally 1 of the 10 points I made was exclusively about 2016.

2. I wasn't aware Gio played all of '16 with that torn ACL.

3. I never said I wanted Gio cut. I'm just showing why it's not as preposterous as some would think.

4. If you think my post was way off the mark, you should debate each point I made.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 05:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Literally 1 of the 10 points I made was exclusively about 2016.

2. I wasn't aware Gio played all of '16 with that torn ACL

3. I never said I wanted Gio cut. I'm just showing why it's not as preposterous as some would think.

4. If you think my post was way off the mark, you should debate each point I made.
Fuzzy math - 

i SEE 4 OF YOUR POINTS HAVING TO DO WITH ALL OR A PART OF 2016

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 05:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Fuzzy math - 

i SEE 4 OF YOUR POINTS HAVING TO DO WITH ALL OR A PART OF 2016

I see you have trouble with the word "exclusively".

All of those points involved other seasons as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 05:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I see you have trouble with the word "exclusively".

All of those points involved other seasons as well.
OK Shake, you win.....................LOL..............arguing over nothing

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 08:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: OK Shake, you win.....................LOL..............arguing over nothing

That pretty much sums up the boards.  ThumbsUp

Btw, you started the "argument" when you called me out. Obviously I'm going to defend my take. We're good though. At least on my end. I don't take any of these debates personally.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:45 AM)kevin Wrote: This team hasn't won in the Play-Offs for a long, long time, So I don't expect any of you new millennials to know this.  Last time we won, really won, we had James Brooks, Icky Woods, Stanley Wilson, Stanford Jennings at running back.  The other Super Bowl year we had Pete Johnson, Charles Alexander, Archie Griffin....The 1970 play-off team had Paul Robinson, Jess Phillips, Essex Johnson.....So IF people really want Play-Off Wins, it's going to take Hill, Bernard, Mixon and maybe also Carson and Peerman.  Over the course of a game or a season you have to put in fresh legs to get to Play-Off Wins....Same goes for needing McCarron and all other TEAM DEPTH...I hate to point it out, but the window of opportunity is closing on the 2011 Draft Choices Dalton and Green.  I think they can get us to The Promised Land, but they will need much more depth than they ever had in the Play-Off one and done seasons.....So as far as spots go, there is a spot for all of them and all good players who can help get Dalton and Green to The Super Bowl. ...Those talking trading for draft picks in preseason are too use to losing. Maybe they never saw Bengals in winning years, maybe not even born.  To be the best, we will need all the good players we can have in 2017, and trading for 2018 isn't and shouldn't be on the table. It's time to man up and go deep in the Play-Offs NOW, while we have Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap on this team still in their prime years. 
The Bengal centric wisdom of this post can not and should not be overlooked. The focus on several stars (fantasy football/ analytic mentality) versus a locker room full of studs next man up mentality . The talk of who should go over who going into a season......really ? WE NEED THEM ALL !
Reply/Quote
NFL trade proposals: Seven deals that'd help all parties

Bengals RB Jeremy Hill to the Giants

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis loves to slow-cook his rookies, but who are we kidding? By all accounts, Joe Mixonhas the goods to start immediately as a workhorse in Cincy's backfield. In the final year of his contract, Hill won't cost much for suitors in search of running-game help. Coming off a playoff season, the Giants could address one of last year's enduring issues -- their stuck-in-the-mud ground game -- by shipping a low-level draft pick to the Bengals in exchange for Hill. He would have the chance to contribute right away ahead of Paul Perkins, who has failed to shine this summer for the G-Men. With the Cowboysholding their breath on the fate of Ezekiel Elliott's six-game ban, the time to strike in the NFC East is now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000829872/article/nfl-trade-proposals-seven-deals-thatd-help-all-parties

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:16 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: NFL trade proposals: Seven deals that'd help all parties

Bengals RB Jeremy Hill to the Giants

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis loves to slow-cook his rookies, but who are we kidding? By all accounts, Joe Mixonhas the goods to start immediately as a workhorse in Cincy's backfield. In the final year of his contract, Hill won't cost much for suitors in search of running-game help. Coming off a playoff season, the Giants could address one of last year's enduring issues -- their stuck-in-the-mud ground game -- by shipping a low-level draft pick to the Bengals in exchange for Hill. He would have the chance to contribute right away ahead of Paul Perkins, who has failed to shine this summer for the G-Men. With the Cowboysholding their breath on the fate of Ezekiel Elliott's six-game ban, the time to strike in the NFC East is now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000829872/article/nfl-trade-proposals-seven-deals-thatd-help-all-parties
I must have missed something ? Where is the part about how this helps the Bengals ? The suggested low round draft pick ? Good deal for the Giants, the Bengals.....NO THANKS.. Long season ahead and we will need all of our backs.
Reply/Quote