Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Hill AND Bernard both in danger?
(08-16-2017, 03:14 AM)John Shaft Wrote: I must have missed something ? Where is the part about how this helps the Bengals ? The suggested low round draft pick ? Good deal for the Giants, the Bengals.....NO THANKS.. Long season ahead and we will need all of our backs.

He's probably assuming it helps the Bengals by giving Mixon more snaps to utilize his talents. 

Just to play devils advocate...look at the two scenarios.

1. Hill, Mixon and Gio for the year. 
2. Mixon, Gio and Carson with an added draft pick. 

How much of a difference would there be between the two, and which one would fans more like to see?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Simply put, Hill is gone next year barring any major disasters with Mixon and Bernard.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:03 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: I'm pretty sure we agree that Jeremy Hill's spot is on the line. But does anyone thing Gio could lose his spot as well?

Mixon will get the most snaps as he should.

We aren't going to cut Gio or Hill though, not happening.

Hill will most likely be gone next year.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 03:54 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's probably assuming it helps the Bengals by giving Mixon more snaps to utilize his talents. 

How much of a difference would there be between the two, and which one would fans more like to see?

Scenario #2
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Jeremy Hill has a base salary of 8.8K this year, costs us 1.1mil against the cap and has 2.6K in dead money. For team cap hit he ranks 27th. He is a valuable, durable back; we are not cutting him. Now if a contender loses a RB, then we may trade him as he would be valuable in a trade and I fully expect him to walk at the end of the year.

Now Gio’s cap hit is 3.6mil and he has proven to be less than durable. He seems like a possible cut until you look at his dead money of 3.2mil. The only way we cut him is to reach an injury settlement. He is not as valuable as Hill in a trade scenario.

Wouldn't it be great to trade JH for a serviceable OL to help if the line continues to struggle?  We can't wait forever for these guys to get trained up.

I think we could trade either of them and not really have a detrimental effect on the team.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Worth mentioning that Tra Carson actually has decent hands. He had 29 receptions his last year in college. He isn't nearly as agile as Bernard, but he can be used both as a runner and receiver if Bernard were to get hurt.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We probably could trade Hill to a team like Dallas for a pick.
Reply/Quote
If both Hill and Mixon have great seasons I see no reason to let Hill just walk unless his agent decides he's worth a gazillion bucks, but short of that I see no reason to let him go if he has a great season. His YPC haven't been great, but neither was the oline so its not all on JH..
Having both backs producing at high levels would be great and no reason to cut back to just one big back.. It's not as if these guys just grow on trees. You keep them as long as they're producing and get rid of them when they don't.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 03:54 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's probably assuming it helps the Bengals by giving Mixon more snaps to utilize his talents. 

The only problem with scenario #2 is that if either Mixon gets injured, or Gio fails to get back to what he once was, we're suddenly paper thin at the RB position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 04:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The only problem with scenario #2 is that if either Mixon gets injured, or Gio fails to get back to what he once was, we're suddenly paper thin at the RB position.

Good point. My next question is, do you/how much do you, base your decisions on if someone gets injured?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 05:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Good point. My next question is, do you/how much do you, base your decisions on if someone gets injured?

Should be plenty of FA RBs that could be picked up in a pinch.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 05:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Should be plenty of FA RBs that could be picked up in a pinch.

No doubt. Or whoever is on the practice squad.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 05:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Good point. My next question is, do you/how much do you, base your decisions on if someone gets injured?

Look, injuries happen.  After the 2014 season, we thought we were living in high cotton, when it came to RB stock.  But the accumulation of injuries to both Hill and Bernard led to the drafting of Mixon in the 2nd round this year.  I realize that there are always guys that are out there, if needed in an emergency.  But, isn't it wiser to just keep the shelf stocked with guys already familiar with what the team is doing?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
But wait,,,Wasn't the running game suppose to be a dumpster fire because they lost the ever so elusive Rex Burkhead? Oh how soon some forget..

I think the running game will be fine. If they trade Hill then Carson will take the empty spot. However, I think they might really be taking a look at Peerman because his only real contribution is special teams and they want to go heavy at some other positions.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 07:30 PM)Air Force 1 Wrote: But wait,,,Wasn't  the running game suppose to be a dumpster fire because they lost the ever so elusive Rex Burkhead?  Oh how soon some forget..

I think the running game will be fine. If they trade Hill then Carson will take the empty spot. However, I think they might really be taking a look at Peerman because his only real contribution is special teams and they want to go heavy at some other positions.

Did we switch for a different Tre Carson?  Because the one I remember was big and slow.  Not exactly who I'm looking to, to replace a dynamic back like Mixon or Bernard.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What I'm wondering is if they are really going to dress 4 RBs on game day just so the 4th can play special teams...Have they ever dressed 4 RBs?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
All I can think of is that between our RB's and WR's/TE , this team has a potent offense ... time to put up or shut up !!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 07:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Look, injuries happen.  After the 2014 season, we thought we were living in high cotton, when it came to RB stock.  But the accumulation of injuries to both Hill and Bernard led to the drafting of Mixon in the 2nd round this year.  I realize that there are always guys that are out there, if needed in an emergency.  But, isn't it wiser to just keep the shelf stocked with guys already familiar with what the team is doing?

No doubt, that's one way to look at it. But this is Carson's 2nd year. He should be all up to speed on the offense. 

Personally, i'm gonna just figure...it's football, dudes are gonna get injured and it will happen when it happens. Fo certain, you want someone behind them that has very little drop off. I won't be upset when they run all 3 this year instead of giving one guy the majority of the snaps. 

That said, in the case of the RBs, i wouldn't give it a second thought if they traded Hill and went with Mixon and Gio, with Carson mopping up or getting a few lugs if someone gets dinged. And if it were up to me personally, i wouldn't let the possibility of injury affect my decision. 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did we switch for a different Tre Carson?  Because the one I remember was big and slow.  Not exactly who I'm looking to, to replace a dynamic back like Mixon or Bernard.

Dude...Tre Carson was #33 running all over the place Friday night. Slimmer and quicker than last year. 

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 12:40 AM)Synric Wrote: How the running back situation shakes out is going to be interesting. Here's another wrinkle in the game Carson took every snap at Peerman position on special teams.

Sure. Peerman's slot is all Carson can get  unless the Bengals trade a back.
Reply/Quote