Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump on 60 minutes
(09-28-2015, 02:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: Watch the interview and read the transcript, his "plan" is to try and bully people and it won't work.

Now who's using hyperbole?

Don't mistake being tough with being an uncompromising bully.  You think Trump has done all these deals because he doesn't know how to close? 

I mean, this is really a load of horseshit.  Trump might bully and intimidate underlings and nobodies, but he knows there's no money and no winning in walking away from the table because of untenable ultimatums.  You can say A LOT of things about Trump and his shortcomings, but failing at deal making because he's a bully isn't one of them.   You might as well just attack him for not being able to build luxury hotels and condos.

He's pandering just like most other politicians.  It doesn't appeal to you so you see right through it and look for weaknesses and flaws, but aside from being far less tactful and upping the hyperbole a bit he seems like a natural for campaigning.
(09-28-2015, 04:35 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Now who's using hyperbole?

Don't mistake being tough with being an uncompromising bully.  You think Trump has done all these deals because he doesn't know how to close? 

I mean, this is really a load of horseshit.  Trump might bully and intimidate underlings and nobodies, but he knows there's no money and no winning in walking away from the table because of untenable ultimatums.  You can say A LOT of things about Trump and his shortcomings, but failing at deal making because he's a bully isn't one of them.   You might as well just attack him for not being able to build luxury hotels and condos.

He's pandering just like most other politicians.  It doesn't appeal to you so you see right through it and look for weaknesses and flaws, but aside from being far less tactful and upping the hyperbole a bit he seems like a natural for campaigning.

"Scott Pelley: How does the president do that?

Donald Trump: Well, the president does it by not allowing places like China to devaluate, you know, they devalue their currency, Scott, to such an extent that it's impossible for our companies to compete every time they do that, they suck the blood right out of our country.

Scott Pelley: You're not running for president of China.

Donald Trump: No, I'm running--

Scott Pelley: You're not going to be able to prevent the devaluation of the currency.

Donald Trump: Oh absolutely. Sure you are, sure you are. Look, they don't respect our president. They don't respect our country. They will respect me. They won't be doing it. But here's what we have to do. If they don't come to the table, they're going to have a tax when they put their products into this country. And they're going to behave."

"Donald Trump: Let's say Ford-- let's say Ford moves to Mexico. If they want to sell that car in the United States they pay a tax. Here's what's gonna happen, they're not going to build their plant there. They're going to build it in the United States.

Scott Pelley: But there is a North American Free Trade Agreement.

Donald Trump: And there shouldn't be. It's a disaster.

Scott Pelley: But it is there.

Donald Trump: OK, yeah, but--

Scott Pelley: If you're president, you're going to have to live with it.
D
onald Trump: Excuse me, we will either renegotiate it or we will break it. Because, you know, every agreement has an end.

Scott Pelley: You can't just break the law.

Donald Trump: Excuse me, every agreement has an end. Every agreement has to be fair. Every agreement has a defraud clause. We're being defrauded by all these countries."

What I said was not hyperbole it is based on statements like these. He thinks he can bully other countries into doing what he wants.
(09-28-2015, 04:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: "Scott Pelley: How does the president do that?

Donald Trump: Well, the president does it by not allowing places like China to devaluate, you know, they devalue their currency, Scott, to such an extent that it's impossible for our companies to compete every time they do that, they suck the blood right out of our country.

Scott Pelley: You're not running for president of China.

Donald Trump: No, I'm running--

Scott Pelley: You're not going to be able to prevent the devaluation of the currency.

Donald Trump: Oh absolutely. Sure you are, sure you are. Look, they don't respect our president. They don't respect our country. They will respect me. They won't be doing it. But here's what we have to do. If they don't come to the table, they're going to have a tax when they put their products into this country. And they're going to behave."

"Donald Trump: Let's say Ford-- let's say Ford moves to Mexico. If they want to sell that car in the United States they pay a tax. Here's what's gonna happen, they're not going to build their plant there. They're going to build it in the United States.

Scott Pelley: But there is a North American Free Trade Agreement.

Donald Trump: And there shouldn't be. It's a disaster.

Scott Pelley: But it is there.

Donald Trump: OK, yeah, but--

Scott Pelley: If you're president, you're going to have to live with it.
D
onald Trump: Excuse me, we will either renegotiate it or we will break it. Because, you know, every agreement has an end.

Scott Pelley: You can't just break the law.

Donald Trump: Excuse me, every agreement has an end. Every agreement has to be fair. Every agreement has a defraud clause. We're being defrauded by all these countries."

Both of these exchanges show that he feels like he can "bully" other countries into bowing before him. The guy is a bully, it is what it is. I hope Republicans figure it out sooner than later, otherwise you'll get 4 more years of Democrats in the White House.

To be fair, Trump is right about NAFTA. We don't "have to live with it", and it should most certainly be at least renegotiated.

Trump is wrong about a lot of things. The completely destructive effect of so-called "free trade" isn't one of them.
(09-28-2015, 04:46 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: To be fair, Trump is right about NAFTA. We don't "have to live with it", and it should most certainly be at least renegotiated.

Trump is wrong about a lot of things. The completely destructive effect of so-called "free trade" isn't one of them.

I agree about NAFTA, but he single handily can't do half the shit he claims he can. He has taken pandering to the lowest intellect to a new level. You aren't going to strong arm China, they own our tech sector and it would take years to move everything back here. The idea that he will pay for everything because "The economy will be so good money will pour in" is not a plan for paying for large projects like the great wall of xenophobia.
(09-28-2015, 04:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: I agree about NAFTA, but he single handily can't do half the shit he claims he can. He has taken pandering to the lowest intellect to a new level. You aren't going to strong arm China, they own our tech sector and it would take years to move everything back here. The idea that he will pay for everything because "The economy will be so good money will pour in" is not a plan for paying for large projects like the great wall of xenophobia.

Absolutely not.

That is what Trump is running on. "I'll get a ton of seemingly difficult, world-changing projects done in a matter of years all by myself without Congress because I'm just simply that awesome". It's depressing how much it's working.

Did you see his new tax plan today? For a guy who bitches about the deficit so much, all I'm seeing is tax cuts and the eternally promised "closing loopholes for the rich". Best part? His plan ONLY promises not to INCREASE the deficit. You know, the same deficit he keeps saying needs to be drastically reduced right now or we're all going to die...

America is trolling its self if they vote this numbskull into office, and it's a joke I don't want to be here to laugh at.
(09-28-2015, 02:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: The guy will not win the presidency, so it is a moot point. The question is will the Republican party give away the election by putting him up? He has alienated too many people to be a player in the actual election. He won't carry the Female or minority vote which means he has no real shot unless the democrats completely mess up. 

I dunno. White males are still a pretty large demographic in this country. And the truth is, things are perceived as bad enough that a lot of people are willing to try anything different, even someone like Trump.

(09-28-2015, 04:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The problem is that all this exposure could land Trump in the White House. There are ways to basically discredit someone in an election campaign, but given Trump's style, all of this just plays right into his hands.

Agreed. And I think it also brings in a voter demographic that we've never considered — reality tv viewers. I know it seems a bit silly, but that's what we look at when we break down demographics. Race, age, sex, location, employment status, and anything else that you can break down people into groups. I think the number of people who only know him as a guy who shouts "you're fired" could actually come into play, regardless of whether they're men, women, Hispanic, etc.

And what scares me is a lot of them are the same people who don't know the difference between scripted TV shows and a lawmaker and foreign policy envoy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-28-2015, 05:26 PM)Benton Wrote: I dunno. White males are still a pretty large demographic in this country. And the truth is, things are perceived as bad enough that a lot of people are willing to try anything different, even someone like Trump.

It scares me, but I do think the minority and female vote along, with democrats will keep Donald Trump out.