Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are We Bringing Geno Back?!
It looks like we're considering bringing back Geno at a reduced price (obviously), and I'd personally be all for it because it's hard for me to believe that he just completely lost all of his abilities over the past year or two. I think that we should put him in a rotation because I'm pretty sure that he'll still be able to cause some problems for opposing quarterbacks.

Here's the article:

Quote:The Bengals released Geno Atkins last month following multiple free agent moves.

It might've been painful to move on from one of the greatest players in franchise history, but releasing him saved $9.5 million in cap space in 2021.

Despite cutting him loose and signing a potential replacement in Larry Ogunjobi, the Bengals sound like they're open to bringing Atkins back.

“I think it's all to be determined with Geno. We've got such a regard for him," Director of Player Personnel Duke Tobin told Dan Hoard on the Bengals Booth Podcast. "He's one of the greatest players in franchise history and one of the top defensive tackles in the league the last decade. You're talking about a rare guy. We thought he gave what it could this past year. With where his contract was, we had to make a move there. But who know's what the future holds. We’ll see if there's something that can be worked out. If it does, great and if not, I think we’ve got some other guys that can fill the role.”

Atkins appeared in eight games last season. He was ineffective due to a shoulder injury that he suffered in training camp. He tried to play through it, but ultimately needed surgery.

Bringing back Atkins would make some sense. He looked fast and explosive in training camp last year before his injury. He could potentially thrive in a rotational role alongside DJ Reader.

Atkins is close with Ogunjobi. The duo has trained together in the past. The Bengals also re-signed veteran Mike Daniels this offseason. Defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo would probably love to have a quartet of Reader, Ogunjobi, Daniels and Atkins on the interior of the line.

Unfortunately for the Bengals, Atkins knows he needs to make the most of his opportunity if he wants to continue his playing career after the 2021 season. His future is dependent upon signing with the right team—not only so he can get on the field, but to ensure he's in a position to make plays in his quest to show the league that he can still make an impact.

That could mean returning to Cincinnati, but the 33-year-old should survey the landscape and make sure it's the best move for him and his family. It wouldn't be surprising to see him wait to sign with a team until after the 2021 NFL Draft, which starts on April 29.

Even if we could only get him on a one or two year deal, I'd kill to have him back here and have him finish his career in Cincinnati. Hopefully, the injury scares teams away so we can keep him, and hopefully he embraces whatever role he has on the team and just produces in whatever way we use him because I still think he could be a HUGE piece to this defense.
Reply/Quote
I also meant to add that I'd love to see him playing when he's back to 100% healthy.
Reply/Quote
I could see him coming back if they are unable to draft a 3-tech.
Reply/Quote
Is the market that soft for Geno? Strange. Maybe he doesn’t want to move the family...
Reply/Quote
I hope he goes to Tampa or KC. Get yourself a ring Geno!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 02:21 PM)J24 Wrote: I hope he goes to Tampa or KC. Get yourself a ring Geno!

Yup, or at least get yourself to experience a SB like Chad and Whit.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think he has not been medically cleared to play just yet and that is why no one has signed him. Once this happens, I'd think the Bengals would be the front-runners to sign him. Personally, I hope he does come back because this defense sure could use him if he returns to form.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 01:53 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Is the market that soft for Geno? Strange. Maybe he doesn’t want to move the family...

He's coming off a pretty substantial shoulder surgery so my guess is he can't pass a physical yet.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 02:27 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think he has not been medically cleared to play just yet and that is why no one has signed him.  Once this happens, I'd think the Bengals would be the front-runners to sign him.  Personally, I hope he does come back because this defense sure could use him if he returns to form.

Im in a different camp on this....loved Geno in his hey day but I like that we are cutting the old ML holdvers and starting with fresh younger talent.
I think there are more than several good 3 tech DTs in the draft that can fill whatever role they had in mind for Geno. ...which is Maybe 3rd downs only?  Id rather give that roster spot to a good young DT to develop.  

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 02:27 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think he has not been medically cleared to play just yet and that is why no one has signed him.  Once this happens, I'd think the Bengals would be the front-runners to sign him.  Personally, I hope he does come back because this defense sure could use him if he returns to form.

This team does need him on the DL.  However, if your Geno and you're in your 30's you go somewhere that you can potentially get a ring. 

You've made damn good $$$ up to this point in your career.  Go sign with TB, KC, Ravens, SanFran and at least have a chance to get a ring.  

At this point I'd play at the veteran minimum for a chance to win a ring considering he's been to the play offs 5 times with 0 wins. 
Reply/Quote
I hope not.

Look, I loved what Geno gave us for most of his career. He was a great player. But it's time to move on. The fact that he would even consider coming back here means 1 of 2 things: 1.) We're paying him more than he'd get elsewhere or 2.) No one else wants him.

This move would strike me as being based more on familiarity than due-diligence. And that to me seems incredibly lazy.

All this said, I would love nothing more than to see Geno go somewhere else and contribute to a contending team. He deserves it.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 02:37 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Im in a different camp on this....loved Geno in his hey day but I like that we are cutting the old ML holdvers and starting with fresh younger talent.
I think there are more than several good 3 tech DTs in the draft that can fill whatever role they had in mind for Geno. ...which is Maybe 3rd downs only?  Id rather give that roster spot to a good young DT to develop.  

Good point.  I believe he had rotator cuff surgery which could be a substantial challenge for him to come back from.  It doesn't really give him that much time to get his power back before camp.  I'm sure he'll be working his ass off, so I wouldn't count him out just yet.  I think the Bengals are leaving the door open for him to get healthy.

That said, he's 33, so the end is coming soon whether he makes it back this year or not.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
I'm torn on this one.

One part of me would love to see Geno back and see him retire a Bengal. Another part wants me to see him go to a team with a chance and go chase a ring. Love to see him in LA with Whit.

Then there is the production level. If we get the Geno of old or even 75% of that post injury, he's still probably the best IDL on the team. However, we run the risk of him never rebounding and we have another A.J. Green situation.

If we don't draft anyone for the IDL there certainly room for him. Haven't really seen anything out of Wren or Tupou that makes me feel like they are going to be a hidden gem.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Go somewhere and chase a ring, go somewhere and chase a ring. All we hear on message boards. Knowing the kind of person Geno is, probably what goes through his mind are "what's the best decision for my wife and kids..... do I sign here one more time, or uproot them and move them across the country?"
Reply/Quote
I'm also torn on him ,he looked very bad last year,and I seen him not even hustle at the QB last year. Yet if he can become good again if it was mainly because of injury then he could line up next to Reader and rotate with the Cleveland guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 02:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I hope not.

Look, I loved what Geno gave us for most of his career. He was a great player. But it's time to move on. The fact that he would even consider coming back here means 1 of 2 things: 1.) We're paying him more than he'd get elsewhere or 2.) No one else wants him.

This move would strike me as being based more on familiarity than due-diligence. And that to me seems incredibly lazy.

All this said, I would love nothing more than to see Geno go somewhere else and contribute to a contending team. He deserves it.

I feel ya, but if any team knows if Geno has anything left, or how severe his injury is, it's the Bengals. You could do worse for a depth signing. Geno wouldn't start over Ogunjobi. Unless he regains form.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If Geno wants to come back sign him up. He knows he has options to join contenders if he is healthy he might chose to come back to the Bengals anyway. It might take him 4 to 8 games into the year to get back up to par if so do not play him injured trot him out when he is fully recovered. If we get him for the right price it will not hurt our team to carry him for part of the year put him on injured reserve.
Reply/Quote
bfine brought sexy back
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 07:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: bfine brought sexy back

Fat Bastard said, "Dead sexy"! 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 02:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The fact that he would even consider coming back here means 1 of 2 things:  1.) We're paying him more than he'd get elsewhere or 2.) No one else wants him.

This makes no sense.  Cincinnati is Geno's home.

If he signs with some other team does that mean that was the only team that wanted him?

(04-06-2021, 02:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This move would strike me as being based more on familiarity than due-diligence.  And that to me seems incredibly lazy.

Brilliant logic.

If Bengals re-sign one of their own players it is obviously the wrong move because it is based only familiarity.  It is impossible for them to sign him because he could help the team.

but if any other team signs him it is because he could help the team.

You are good at creating these "logic traps" that make it impossible (in your head) for the Bengals to make a good decision.  If the Bengals do something then it is a mistake but if another team does the exact same thing then it is not a mistake.
Reply/Quote