Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are the 2020 Bengals the 2019 Titans?
Before you laugh, look at some of the similarities:

In 2019, the Titans were coming off their second consecutive 9-7 season with Marcus Mariotta as QB. Coach Mike Vrabel was in his second year as head coach of the Titans. After six games, they benched Marcus Mariotta in favor of Ryan Tannehill. The Titans had a 2-4 record at that time and, despite a promising 2016 for Mariotta, they knew he wasn't going to take them to the promise land.

Tannehill took the team on a 9-3 run before ultimately losing 24-35 to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Chiefs.

Now, we all know that team rode the back of Derrick Henry to the playoffs, and ultimately, to the AFC Championship game. On offense, outside of Henry, they had a big-play threat in AJ Brown and ascending talent, Corey Davis. There wasn't much of a secret, though, as they were going to come out and pound you with Henry.

Of course, you all are thinking that the comparison should stop right there as the Titans probably had one of the best offensive lines in the game last year. Not so much:

From PFF.com:

"8. TENNESSEE TITANS
Ignoring the right guard position, which was a bit of a mess this season, the Titans have had a well-rounded performance from their offensive line. Ben Jones turned in the highest overall grade of his eight-year career at 77.2 (third among qualifying centers), thanks in large part to an 86.8 pass-blocking grade. Jones was one of four centers with 250 or more pass-blocking snaps and a pressure rate allowed of below 2.0%."

This was based on the summary of the 2019 season. While #8 is certainly well ahead of the Bengals last year, note that the Titans were buoyed by excellent center play (something Hopkins had early in the season, but faded as the season wore on...and what was the talent like around him?). They mention that the right guard position was largely a "disaster" for them.

I think the addition of XSF, year 2 for Hopkins and Johnson starting together, and the return of first round pick Jonah Williams will give the Bengals offensive line a tremendous advantage over the unit from the start of 2019. Remember, too, that XSF is a big-bodied, mauler of a RG. That fits much better with our scheme than John Miller from last year.

Speaking of last year, the Bengals DID lead the AFC in rushing the last 8 games of the season (or at least Mixon led all RBs). Considering what players they were fielding on the line, as well as a dearth of talent at WR at times, it is reasonable to have high hopes for what Mixon can do in 2020.

When I look at the rosters from the 2019 Titans and the 2020 Bengals, there are not many places I see the Titans having a significant edge on the Bengals except for the aforementioned offensive line, and I gave plenty of reasons for optimism heading in to this year for the Bengals.

For 2019, the Titans ranked 12th in Total Defense. I don't think it is unrealistic to the the 2020 Bengals could approach that with the additions in FA, as well as the draft. They certainly started to find their stride at the end of last year, much like the rushing attack.

This is what makes me think the Bengals could look a lot like the Titans of last year in 2020.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice thread, sure hope so. I love that style and with Mixon locked up and if the O-line improves big time it could happen.

I think with the way Burrow likes to throw to the RB's and we are more of a WCO it won't be just pound it like the Titans
did with Henry though. We will see a lot more Shotgun and running out of the Shotgun like LSU did last year with Edwards-
Helaire which is what Mixon seems to be better at anyways. If AJ and Ross stay healthy along with Boyd and Sample comes
along we might have the more talented weapons of the two teams.

But in the end, yeah, the O-line has to play much better on Offense.

I expect the Defense to be muchly improved with these Linebackers and Reader freeing up others to make plays.
Reply/Quote
Titans records by season:

2019 - 9-7
2018 - 9-7
2017 - 9-7
2016 - 9-7

I'd say they were pretty consistent.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 04:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Titans records by season:

2019 - 9-7
2018 - 9-7
2017 - 9-7
2016 - 9-7

I'd say they were pretty consistent.

Wild. Shocked

Didn't know they have had the same record 4 years in a row.
Reply/Quote
Nah we're more like the 2018 Browns!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Do we know for sure that Burrow will be starting, just dont want a surprise on gameday.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 04:57 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Do we know for sure that Burrow will be starting, just dont want a surprise on gameday.

Yeah. He will be under center.

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-have-named-their-week-1-starting-quarterback
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 04:57 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Do we know for sure that Burrow will be starting, just dont want a surprise on gameday.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5426034]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have more proven playmakers at WR than the Titans.
And Burrow is just a better QB than Mariotta and Tanneyhill combined.
The Bengals have no questions who their leader is.
The Titans did for 6 weeks
Advantage Cincy
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:43 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The Bengals have more proven playmakers at WR than the Titans.
Advantage Cincy

At the end of their respective careers, probably true. Burrow should have a better career than either of the two.

But 2020 Burrow vs 2019 Tannehill? I'm not so sure about that at all. Tannehill just came off a season where he led the league in yards per attempt (9.6) and QB Rating (117.5) while posting a completion % north of 70. That's an awfully tall order for a rookie to match/beat.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like the positivity but I think we need to temper our expectations somewhat this year. The Titans were in the AFC championship game last year leading against the super bowl champion Chiefs at one point and we haven’t won a playoff game in 30 years. In the long run I think we’re building something special but realistically I see us going 6-10 or 7-9 this year and heading in the right direction. I think long term were in a better place than the Titans because I don’t believe in Tannehill as a franchise qb and I think Burrow could be special. I’m still skeptical about the O-line. The Titans had a great tackle paring in Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin. Outside of Burrow , Williams being a good LT would be huge for this franchise.
Reply/Quote
No.  I believe the plan all along has been for him to take every first team snap and team activity and press conference in order to get him ready to hold the clipboard on game days.  Opponents will never see that coming. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: At the end of their respective careers, probably true. Burrow should have a better career than either of the two.

But 2020 Burrow vs 2019 Tannehill? I'm not so sure about that at all. Tannehill just came off a season where he led the league in yards per attempt (9.6) and QB Rating (117.5) while posting a completion % north of 70. That's an awfully tall order for a rookie to match/beat.

I think that has a lot to do with teams fearing Henry and that run game and Tannehill throwing off of Play Action.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:24 PM)PhilHos Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5426034]

(09-02-2020, 06:03 PM)McC Wrote: No.  I believe the plan all along has been for him to take every first team snap and team activity and press conference in order to get him ready to hold the clipboard on game days.  Opponents will never see that coming. 

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: At the end of their respective careers, probably true. Burrow should have a better career than either of the two.

Tanneyhill is a game manager.  He needs a running game so he can be effective.  Tanneyhill.cant carry a offense on.his shoulders. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 04:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread, sure hope so. I love that style and with Mixon locked up and if the O-line improves big time it could happen.

I think with the way Burrow likes to throw to the RB's and we are more of a WCO it won't be just pound it like the Titans
did with Henry though. We will see a lot more Shotgun and running out of the Shotgun like LSU did last year with Edwards-
Helaire which is what Mixon seems to be better at anyways. If AJ and Ross stay healthy along with Boyd and Sample comes
along we might have the more talented weapons of the two teams.

But in the end, yeah, the O-line has to play much better on Offense.

I expect the Defense to be muchly improved with these Linebackers and Reader freeing up others to make plays.

Remember we had TWO 1,000 yard rushers with a WCO with Ickey Woods and James Brooks.  I think we abandoned the run last year because our blocking scheme didn't fit the personnel at all.  By year's end, though...

Even Bobby Hart is a decent run blocker.  And I could see that being the strength of the offensive line.  The threat of AJ, Ross, and Boyd will keep safeties back, but I could see this being a very good rushing team.  

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see Burrow sling it around and have the RBs used as receivers as well, but I can't help but think we will be pounding folks a la Titans and looking for big plays in the passing game off play-action.  
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:52 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I like the positivity but I think we need to temper our expectations somewhat this year. The Titans were in the AFC championship game last year leading against the super bowl champion Chiefs at one point and we haven’t won a playoff game in 30 years. In the long run I think we’re building something special but realistically I see us going 6-10 or 7-9  this year and heading in the right direction. I think long term were in a better place than the Titans because I don’t believe in Tannehill as a franchise qb and I think Burrow could be special. I’m still skeptical about the O-line. The Titans had a great tackle paring in Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin. Outside of Burrow , Williams being a good LT would be huge for this franchise.

I totally get what you are saying here, but do you think Joe Burrow is doing that?  I don't think he gives a shit if they won two games last year. 

And Conklin is no longer with the Titans...part of the reason I used last year's squad as an example.  And trying to illustrate just how much that rushing attack opened things up for Tannehill.  

Let's not forget you could have argued pretty well that Dalton and Tannehill were equals or maybe even slightly tilted in Dalton's favor, before last year.  That rushing attack made things a heck of a lot easier for Tannehill.  
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 05:43 PM)impactplaya Wrote: The Bengals have more proven playmakers at WR than the Titans.
Advantage Cincy

We're already better than the team that made the AFC Championship game last year?  Man, this is some off-season optimism!  Here's hoping you're right.  Off-season hype has the Buccaneers and the Bengals in the SB this year.

Make it so, Joe.
Reply/Quote
To answer the question, no. The Titans are the closest NFL team to me here in extreme southern Illinois (about 200 mi to Nashville on I-24). Last year was special for them of course and they played the Chiefs really tough in the AFC championship. In 2018 I saw them get whipped by the Colts in Indianapolis at Lucas Oil (that's a wonderful steam-punky looking place). So this year they're probably going to be 8-8 or 9-7 and it may or may not get them in the playoffs.

The Bengals? Could there be another season like 2011, where they did a quick turnaround and surprised people? Maybe. They will win more games than last year for sure.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2020, 06:26 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Tanneyhill is a game manager.

At first I thought this was some type of weird typo or auto-correct.  But I noticed you've now done it twice now.

No offense, but I can't trust someone's opinion on this if they think his name is actually Tanneyhill.  
Reply/Quote