Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Offensive Line Issues Fixable this year?
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This OL will be better in pass protection than run blocking. If the Bengals want to run better, they need to replace Miller (maybe with Price?).
I hope the Bengals get (at least) one good starter for OL next year.

I don't want to see any more of Price at G this year after Boyd's TD got called back because Price got pancaked and panicked and drug his man down with him.  Guy simply gets physically dominated way too much.

I had high hopes for the guy when he was drafted.  I wasn't down on him after last year due to his injuries.  I was hyped when Lap talked about how much lower body strength he added during the off-season and how he would be able anchor better.  Then he lost his starting gig and had another "manhood taken" moment today.

There are guys who show flashes and/or have plus physical traits that I tend to show patience with, but I sadly just don't see it with Price.  He has too many plays where he looks like a boy amongst men.  Give him another year to get stronger and work a full off season at G to try to salvage something, but he doesn't look like any kind of an answer this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:00 AM)Whatever Wrote: I don't want to see any more of Price at G this year after Boyd's TD got called back because Price got pancaked and panicked and drug his man down with him.  Guy simply gets physically dominated way too much.

I had high hopes for the guy when he was drafted.  I wasn't down on him after last year due to his injuries.  I was hyped when Lap talked about how much lower body strength he added during the off-season and how he would be able anchor better.  Then he lost his starting gig and had another "manhood taken" moment today.

There are guys who show flashes and/or have plus physical traits that I tend to show patience with, but I sadly just don't see it with Price.  He has too many plays where he looks like a boy amongst men.  Give him another year to get stronger and work a full off season at G to try to salvage something, but he doesn't look like any kind of an answer this year.

I only mentioned Price because:
1) There really isn’t another option on the roster
2) Price is better against the run than Miller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:00 AM)Whatever Wrote: I don't want to see any more of Price at G this year after Boyd's TD got called back because Price got pancaked and panicked and drug his man down with him.  Guy simply gets physically dominated way too much.

Good posts today.

Honestly, why do you think Price is so bad in games? And he absolutely is.

He just doesn't seem to have it. Whether it's physicality or something else. Kind of shocking to see him get trucked by D-Lineman.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Good posts today.

He just doesn't seem to have it. Whether it's physicality or something else. Kind of shocking to see him get trucked by D-Lineman.

Lack of length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think we have makings of a good offensive line with Jordan, Hopkins, Price, and Williams but it will take some time for them to gel. That's one thing about Offensive lines it takes time to develop. They will need a RT and a swing Tackle.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Good posts today.

Well, he wasn't a 1st round talent.  He was a reach based on need.  He had a combine grade of 5.90 which is "Chance to become an NFL starter."  He was never a slam dunk/plug and play prospect to begin with.  I think a lot of people, myself included, got hypnotized by the fact that the Bengals finally took a 1st round C and the fact he played at OSU definitely boosted expectations, too.

He's a guy with big time weight room strength and a mean streak.  That was enough in college.  However, his technique was never great and he's not a tremendous natural athlete.  His combine scouting report mentioned that "Some scouts say he can be a challenging personality to deal with."  That could be an indicator that he's not very coachable.  They talk about fears that some of his technique issues may be ingrained in his muscle memory and tough to break.  My guess is he doesn't have the technique and/or natural athleticism to convert his weight room strength into functional strength.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do we know that Hart has improved?

To the eye test he has improved in comparison to last year.  Still, he is not the answer if the team wants to establish a rushing game.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
There’s a certain poster that loves Price and told us he would be starting at Center and not Hopkins. True story.
Reply/Quote
Normally, I tell myself not to over-react. I have somewhat of a legendary temper and during and after Bengal games is usually when friends and family leave me alone. After assuring myself all week that this was win #1, lets just say my temper didn't betray me.

There is absolutely no reason to think the Bengals will have any semblance of a running game. Sure, Mixon or Gio will bust one here and there, My Dad used to say every blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Sadly, The Bengals running game is a blind squirrel with a steaming pile of dung in front of it.

There isn't any reason why we should think it will get any better any time soon. The only way this line gets any better is through addition by subtraction and some very unheard of practices around here. Namely, trading picks for players, 1st day Free Agency pickups and finally some 1st round Draft Pick home-runs...

As it stands, the AFC's rushing leader may be lucky to get 600 yds...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 11:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This O-Line is not fixable this year. It will take 2-3 years to fix. The talent is not there. Hopefully Jonah Williams is above average at LT and Hopkins improves. I know Hart has improved but he is not the answer at RT if the Bengals plan to rush the ball. Not sure Hopkins is the Center of future either.

What did anyone expect with Mike, Katie, and Troy’s embarrassing approach to the o-line? Dumpster diving and giving raises to guys who should be cut results in a bottom 5 unit. Good luck running the ball or protecting the QB. Losing Williams and Price underwhelming have made it worse. It could easily be argued the the o-line is the worst unit in the league right now. They’re straight garbage, and it’s not going to get better until the braintrust actually invests in the line.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:02 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: What did anyone expect with Mike, Katie, and Troy’s embarrassing approach to the o-line?  Dumpster diving and giving raises to guys who should be cut results in a bottom 5 unit.  Good luck running the ball or protecting the QB.  Losing Williams and Price underwhelming have made it worse. It could easily be argued the the o-line is the worst unit in the league right now.  They’re straight garbage, and it’s not going to get better until the braintrust actually invests in the line.

Jonah Williams may make it back this year so at least fans may see what he brings.  I think they still need to replenish 3 spots on the O-Line over the next 2-3 years.   Sad that Price is having a rough time.  Paul Brown always focused on the trenches.  This has been an ongoing issue for years now.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 01:07 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jonah Williams may make it back this year so at least fans may see what he brings.  I think they still need to replenish 3 spots on the O-Line over the next 2-3 years.   Sad that Price is having a rough time.  Paul Brown always focused on the trenches.  This has been an ongoing issue for years now.  

Under Mike in the “GM” salaried role, the Bengals have generally focused on the shiny toy positions in the first few rounds. Lots of WR/RB/CB/QB selections under Mike. Under Mike it’s inarguable that the team has ignored the interior o-line in the early rounds, preferring to draft centers and guards from the 4th onward. When they do hit on quality interior guys they also generally avoid paying them 2nd or 3rd contracts. The lack of postseason results speak for themselves.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Not sure about this year. Injuries have really hurt us and it's clear that our depth sucks. I think next year will be interesting because Taylor's #1 choice at OL coach will be available, Bill Callahan. I know he likes Turner, but Turner has never been a good OL coach. One of his Miami lines ranked 25th according to PFF, which was his highest ranking.

I mean our prized FA signing was a guard who most of Buffalo was thrilled to watch leave the team.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Missing on Oghubi Fisher and Price paints you pic you have now
Throw in Williams injury...Bolings retirement ,Glenns concussion
That's too much to overcome.
If Glenn can come back it's helps a little not much
Your best olines have chemistry and history together
This OLINE is basically being thrown together in a basement with a chemistry set
Made for 12 yr olds,
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 12:36 AM)Whatever Wrote: Well, he wasn't a 1st round talent.  He was a reach based on need.  He had a combine grade of 5.90 which is "Chance to become an NFL starter."  He was never a slam dunk/plug and play prospect to begin with.  I think a lot of people, myself included, got hypnotized by the fact that the Bengals finally took a 1st round C and the fact he played at OSU definitely boosted expectations, too.

He's a guy with big time weight room strength and a mean streak.  That was enough in college.  However, his technique was never great and he's not a tremendous natural athlete.  His combine scouting report mentioned that "Some scouts say he can be a challenging personality to deal with."  That could be an indicator that he's not very coachable.  They talk about fears that some of his technique issues may be ingrained in his muscle memory and tough to break.  My guess is he doesn't have the technique and/or natural athleticism to convert his weight room strength into functional strength.

Agreed. Price was more suited for a pick in the early 40's.

With that said, Miller has been the worst performing OL on the team so far. I hate to say it, but I wonder if we see Alex Redmond back at RG once he's back from suspension. While Miller is a better pass blocker than Redmond, Redmond is a better run blocker. If the Bengals really want to get the running game going, they may need to rotate in Redmond or start with Redmond and only bring in Miller if the team is falling behind.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed. Price was more suited for a pick in the early 40's.

With that said, Miller has been the worst performing OL on the team so far. I hate to say it, but I wonder if we see Alex Redmond back at RG once he's back from suspension. While Miller is a better pass blocker than Redmond, Redmond is a better run blocker. If the Bengals really want to get the running game going, they may need to rotate in Redmond or start with Redmond and only bring in Miller if the team is falling behind.

Miller was a fringe starter for the Bills who got replaced several times. Too bad we didn't sign Saffold, who knew the Rams system.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Miller was a fringe starter for the Bills who got replaced several times. Too bad we didn't sign Saffold, who knew the Rams system.

Saffold is a LG, not a RG. Some say for OG that side doesn't matter though. There was no way the Bengals were going to pay $11 mill a year for an OG though. 
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote