Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE?
(03-16-2022, 11:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He was worth what he got paid by the Jets.  He was not worth as much to us because he have 3 top WRs.

Saying we can find a good TE in the third round because of Mark Andrews is like saying we can find a good QB in the 6th round because of Tom Brady.  IN the last 20 years there have been 213 TEs drafted in the third round or later.  Only 6 of them had as many as 500 receiving yards their rookie season.

Travis Kelcie (3) and George Kittle (5) say hi. My point is relevant
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The lastest article on the home page says they are looking for a fast pass catching TE to replace Uzomah, and keeping Sample as a blocking TE.

I thought that and why I was leaning towards them looking in the draft for a pass catching TE.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:21 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Travis Kelcie (3) and George Kittle (5) say hi. My point is relevant

No it isn't.

My point went completely over your head.

I never said there were not good TE's taken after the third round of the draft.  I am just saying the odds are pretty slim in finding one.  

I was hoping the example of Tom Brady would help you understand, but apparently not.  Bringing up exceptions to a rule does not change the rule.
Reply/Quote
Austin Hooper released by the Browns. And why you don’t get too aggressive out the shute in FA
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No it isn't.

I never said there were not good TE's taken after the third round of the draft.  I am just saying the odds are pretty slim in finding one.  

I was hoping the example of Tom Brady would help you understand, but apparently not.  Bringing up exceptions to a rule does not change the rule.

I think we are on the same page as mine went over your head. You can find a tight end in the middle rounds because normally tight ends are readily available there in the draft. And yes the draft is the draft. No guarantees but the price differential of finding a solid receiving TE in the draft versus the amount you’d have to commit to Uzomah is smart. At some point you have to make bullseyes on your draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:04 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: CJ on the field was overrated.

Hmm, I don't think CJ is overrated. I acknowledge that he likely benefitted from playing with Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd as he was catching passes from an elite QB and getting opportunities because defenses were focusing on the WR trio.

I don't think CJ leaving greatly hurts this team if another TE can come in, run clean routes, and be ready to catch the ball. I just don't know if Sample or Moss can take on these duties. I can't wait to see what Zac decides. CJ seemed like a locker room leader, but I also think Burrow and other players will continue such a role and other guys will step up since Zac fosters this culture among the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:35 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't think CJ leaving greatly hurts this team ...

Maybe not that much "on the field," but it hurts them tremendously "in the locker room."
Reply/Quote
Austin Hooper is being released today it sounds like, so that’s where I’d start.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:44 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Maybe not that much "on the field," but it hurts them tremendously "in the locker room."

I also reflected on this sentiment. Yes, I think it hurts when you lose a vocal leader but I'm not convinced it is a tremendous loss. Surely, there are other leaders or emerging leaders on the team that can replace his locker room energy. I'm sure some guys will duplicate and model what he did. Zac is big on locker room culture so I think it is fair to assume there are other "CJ-good locker room" guys on the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: Austin Hooper is being released today it sounds like, so that’s where I’d start.

Hooper has severe drop issues. I would pass on him 
I
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:50 AM)Au165 Wrote: Austin Hooper is being released today it sounds like, so that’s where I’d start.

I'd let Hooper take all the attention and slide into Gerald Everett's DM's with $5mill/yr for 3 years and $5mill signing bonus.
Reply/Quote
Hooper is hot garbage. Browns fans are ecstatic they released him.
Reply/Quote

Dawson Knox went in the 3rd to Buffalo. But 2 TE's went between Sample and Knox so not a slam dunk we would have taken Knox.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 12:29 PM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Hooper is hot garbage.  Browns fans are ecstatic they released him.

Mayfield is the issue there. No matter what receivers, RB's, or offensive lineman they have...guys underperform.

It's the QB.

I just wish they'd keep Mayfield!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 11:44 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Maybe not that much "on the field," but it hurts them tremendously "in the locker room."

All the talk about "locker room" is over rated.

No one was swooning over Uzo's "leadership value" when he played for a losing team for 5 straight years ('16-20).  Joe Burrow's amazing "leadership value" got him 2 wins in 10 starts as a rookie.

It takes talented players and coaches to win in the NFL.  It is no concidence that when fans talk about great "leaders" in the NFL that great leader is surrounded by a lot of very talented players and/or coches.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 12:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All the talk about "locker room" is over rated.

No one was swooning over Uzo's "leadership value" when he played for a losing team for 5 straight years ('16-20).  Joe Burrow's amazing "leadership value" got him 2 wins in 10 starts as a rookie.

It takes talented players and coaches to win in the NFL.  It is no concidence that when fans talk about great "leaders" in the NFL that great leader is surrounded by a lot of very talented players and/or coches.

Rock On
Reply/Quote

But in this case is it really the exception or the rule? Below are the top 5 TEs in receptions last year and the round they were taken. The top drafted TE in their draft follows.
Travis Kelce 3rd (Tyler Eifert)
Zach Ertz 2nd (Eifert)
Dalton Schultz 4th (Hayden Hurst)
Mike Gieseki 2th (Hayden Hurst)
George Kittle 5th (OJ Howard).

None of the leaders were taken in RD or the 1st TE taken in their class and over half were taken in RD 3 or later.. Of all positions I think TE is one in which you can wait
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 12:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All the talk about "locker room" is over rated.

Will say that I liked Uzo but thought his motivation speeches were hollow and was just going through the motions,  yet he gave it his all and appreciate that. 

Burrow even had to scold him for saying the Bengals were embracing the underdog roll in Titan game by telling him that the Bengals are here to win and expect to win and shouldn't say different. Then the "why not us" to "it is us". 

Like I said, really like Uzo and happy he got paid and wish him well. 

Yet make no mistake Burrow is the leader on this team ! Probably followed by Chase. 

Chase just does all the little stuff like getting in front of the play and blocking down field. Hard not for players not to respect that sort of work ethic from a star.

Hoping one of these solid proven TE's are signed but agree with others that it will not be horrible to have to draft one on the cheap in mid rounds. Think a RT is more important to get in FA, or a C and bring back Reiff. would much rather try and find a TE than a starting RT in draft. 

Plus our 3 WR's could be a deterrent to real good proven TE's, yet a chance at SB and Burrow is still alluring. So who knows, think its a coin flip which way they go.   

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'd say the two main leaders on this team are Burrow and Mixon.
Reply/Quote
RE: Sample as our TE

(03-15-2022, 10:01 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: God I hope not.

x10000000000000000
Reply/Quote