Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE?
Draft a rookie, sign someone in FA, bring Thad along to play TE2, I don't care. Whatever Cincy does, please don't roll with Sample at TE1.
Reply/Quote
I think The Bengals are in trouble on offense
If they roll with Drew at TE. At some point defenses
Will double Chase and Higgins and just say
"Ok they will have to beat us with Boyd and Sample"
Those big time catches C.J made vs the Ravens and Jags
Sample simply cant do. He runs like he has concrete
In his cleats. He has no vertical separation. He is weak in trying to win contested catches.
He makes JP Foshi look like Bob Trumpy.
Easily top 5 worst TEs to ever play for Cincy
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:41 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s a better receiver threat. I don’t think with Moss and Sample splitting time makes us where we were with C J. I think they draft a tight end. But the savings will help out. Roster decisions are a puzzle. It was never going to be strengthening this team in the OL w/o sacrifices elsewhere. Bates salary increase probably took Uzomah’s money. I’m sure $24 million and 3 years was risky in the FO eyes.

What in the world makes you think that Thaddeus Moss is a better receiving threat than CJ? 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:56 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: What in the world makes you think that Thaddeus Moss is a better receiving threat than CJ? 

The same world that thinks Jackson Carman should be our starting LG this season
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:57 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: The same world that thinks Jackson Carman should be our starting LG this season

Old Frank flashing the football knowledge.

Two-time All-ACC, 2nd Team All-American taken in the second round and started as a rookie is exactly the same as an undrafted free agent who has been a practice squad player for 2 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Old Frank flashing the football knowledge.

Two-time All-ACC, 2nd Team All-American taken in the second round and started as a rookie is exactly the same as an undrafted free agent who has been a practice squad player for 2 seasons.

You mean the one with the debilitating back issues?  Yeah, he should be an All-Pro this season. Rolleyes
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Old Frank flashing the football knowledge.

TBF most NFL players have college accolades. Draft position is relative. I think Carman should be the 6th man on the line fighting for a starting spot. If we could get a line of Williams-Karras-Hopkins-Cappa-FA Tackle with Carman and Spain in for injury or pushing the starters, I think that would be a win.

On the other hand, I would take almost anyone over Sample, UDFA's included.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You need a pass catching TE in the modern NFL. I don’t care what personnel you primarily run. About 500 yds and 5 TD’s just walked out the door. We need to replace that production. Hell, even that ridiculously stacked 2019 LSU team that had 2 All Pro WR’s still utilized their TE a lot (my point being Burrow likes to throw to a TE - not that Moss should be a real option).

Add those targets to Boyd. He can do it. He never gets looks because of our top 2. Time to utilize Boyd more- like they used to. I also would love adding a TE. But I Think we’ll be okay without a star TE.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You mean the one with the debilitating back issues?  Yeah, he should be an All-Pro this season. Rolleyes

Having a back injury does not make you a doctor.

And even if you were a doctor you know nothing about the extent of Carman's back issue.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:09 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Add those targets to Boyd. He can do it. He never gets looks because of our top 2. Time to utilize Boyd more- like they used to. I also would love adding a TE. But I Think we’ll be okay without a star TE.

Don’t need a star TE, but it can’t be Drew Sample either. Need someone who doesn’t constantly get taken down by the grass monster at the very least.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Until Gronk signs at TB or retires, I'm assuming he's already had his agent working to get him here. Might be why CJ was let go.

He was let go for his gritty dance skills or lack thereof.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:56 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: What in the world makes you think that Thaddeus Moss is a better receiving threat than CJ? 

I’ve seen him play. He had 47 catches his last season at LSU. He’s not a better TE than C J. He is more athletic and as I’ve said would be more a threat eventually than C J.
Reply/Quote
Continuity is important.

Sample is under contract for another year then we can tag him in 2023.
Reply/Quote
We had a lot of trouble scoring in the red zone with Uzomah as our starter, no way we roll with Sample as our starting tight end. I would rather start Wilcox, get Kroft back, or try to resurrect Eifert before starting Sample. I believe as others have said that we sign one of the FA's that are left out there and draft a rookie TE and since Brady is coming back the chance of Gronk coming here is now about 0%.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Continuity is important.

Sample is under contract for another year then we can tag him in 2023.

LOL

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:28 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve seen him play. He had 47 catches his last season at LSU. He’s not a better TE than C J. He is more athletic and as I’ve said would be more a threat eventually than C J.

Okay. Yeah, that means absolutely nothing. There are plenty of guys who do a decent job in college and never do anything in the NFL. The list is insanely long. He is a 6'2 TE that has struggled with a foot injury who already wasn't that great in college. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:28 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve seen him play. He had 47 catches his last season at LSU. He’s not a better TE than C J. He is more athletic and as I’ve said would be more a threat eventually than C J.

He is a lot slower than CJ.
Reply/Quote

(03-15-2022, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Having a back injury does not make you a doctor.

And even if you were a doctor you know nothing about the extent of Carman's back issue.

I don't have to be a doctor to understand the severity and limiting effect that back issues can have on an athletes abilities.  However, if you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend the issue isn't real, that's fine by me;  But there's no reason to go puffing the guy up on some college accolades that are quite common to NFL players in general, and equally common in early round players who bust for one reason or another.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I really can't imagine that they'd actually roll with Sample as TE#1 even though it's not a featured option in this offense. Surely they'll go after a vet bridge TE and draft a late rounder to develop.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I really can't imagine that they'd actually roll with Sample as TE#1 even though it's not a featured option in this offense. Surely they'll go after a vet bridge TE and draft a late rounder to develop.

Gerald Everett seems like the perfect fit, in my opinion.  He's a tough blocker, yet smooth and athletic with nice hands.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote