Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE?
(03-15-2022, 09:35 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Now that we've lost CJ, what do you think is Zac's plan? Is Sample the starting TE or do we potentially sign a FA? The draft has options, but I don't think anyone stands out as "must have" talent.

Thoughts?

Look at our scores in the playoffs, 3 points between winner and loser. Bengals need to add more ways to score and fewer ways to give up scores, plus give Burrow a chance to survive.

Losing CJ doesn’t improve the ways to score objective. If the Bengals saw Drew Sample as a solution they wouldn’t have rushed CJ back as they did for the Super Bowl.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:58 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Depending on cost, I'd be interested in OJ Howard. He has good speed. I just don't know...he's been a bust to this point.

I wouldn't call him a bust necessarily.
Once Brady came, Gronk got added and then Howard got put on the backburner.
Prior to Gronk, Howard was sharing snaps with Cameron Brate.
But each season those first 3 seasons he put up 400+ yards and had a total of 12 TDs across those 3 years.

If Howard got the 49 receptions on 63 targets that Uzomah got but at his career average YPC, he'd have over 700 yards.
I'd take that for sure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:18 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Move Sample to FB

The Bengals don't utilize a FB.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn't call him a bust necessarily.
Once Brady came, Gronk got added and then Howard got put on the backburner.
Prior to Gronk, Howard was sharing snaps with Cameron Brate.
But each season those first 3 seasons he put up 400+ yards and had a total of 12 TDs across those 3 years.

If Howard got the 49 receptions on 63 targets that Uzomah got but at his career average YPC, he'd have over 700 yards.
I'd take that for sure.

This makes sense. Appreciate the breakdown, I was wondering what happened to Howard. Highlights show him having some big play ability, speed and explosiveness. Not many TE's with his assets. And for the price, I wouldn't mind taking a shot. Do you know how his blocking is? 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:18 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Move Sample.

Fixed it for you!
Reply/Quote
Sample wouldn’t be a bad starting TE if the Bengals can convince him to amputate that second left foot and replace it with the proper right-sided one.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:38 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Sample wouldn’t be a bad starting TE if the Bengals can convince him to amputate that second left foot and replace it with the proper right-sided one.

He could catch better too maybe. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:35 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Now that we've lost CJ, what do you think is Zac's plan? Is Sample the starting TE or do we potentially sign a FA? The draft has options, but I don't think anyone stands out as "must have" talent.

Thoughts?

Look at our scores in the playoffs, 3 points between winner and loser. Bengals need to add more ways to score and fewer ways to give up scores, plus give Burrow a chance to survive.

Losing CJ doesn’t improve the ways to score objective. If the Bengals saw Drew Sample as a solution they wouldn’t have rushed CJ back as they did for the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:33 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: This makes sense. Appreciate the breakdown, I was wondering what happened to Howard. Highlights show him having some big play ability, speed and explosiveness. Not many TE's with his assets. And for the price, I wouldn't mind taking a shot. Do you know how his blocking is? 

His blocking was behind his receiving, but he did block decently in college.
Back in the month or so before the 2017 draft, NFL.com published an article saying Howard was the most complete TE prospect of the past decade.

https://www.nfl.com/news/book-on-o-j-howard-most-complete-te-prospect-in-10-years-0ap3000000793010

Quote:As a blocker, Howard shows strength and power at the point of attack. He locks onto his assigned defender and runs his feet until the whistle blows. Although his ability to move defenders off the ball is a little inconsistent, Howard's effort and relentlessness is enough to allow runners to turn the corner on outside runs. As a move blocker, Howard's athleticism enables him to climb to the next level. At Alabama, he frequently aligned as an H-back or "sniffer" off the ball before pulling around to lead running backs through the hole on counters and powers. He quickly works through traffic to cut off his target and delivers solid blows on most of his blocks.
Now, he needs to continue to work on finishing his blocks, but he is pretty advanced as a blocker for a college tight end.

Howard's best PFF run blocking grade of his NFL career was 62.8, which was considered solid. That's about what Uzomah's was this past year (60.0).
Not sure about Howard's pass blocking though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:50 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Then again, the thinking might be all we need the TE to do is block, because with an improved line Chase, Higgins or Boyd is going to get open.

You need a pass catching TE in the modern NFL. I don’t care what personnel you primarily run. About 500 yds and 5 TD’s just walked out the door. We need to replace that production. Hell, even that ridiculously stacked 2019 LSU team that had 2 All Pro WR’s still utilized their TE a lot (my point being Burrow likes to throw to a TE - not that Moss should be a real option).

Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t sleep on Thaddeus Moss and Drew Sample splitting time. Moss played with Chase and Burrow. I think with the poor OL Uzomah had to block more. Moss would be a better threat than C J. I expect they draft someone like Kolar around 4th
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:52 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I wouldn’t sleep on Thaddeus Moss and Drew Sample splitting time. Moss played with Chase and Burrow. I think with the poor OL Uzomah had to block more. Moss would be a better threat than C J. I expect they draft someone like Kolar around 4th

No he wouldn’t.

Reply/Quote
Gronk wants to play here. Mike, Katie make it happen you dont let CJ walk on that contract when your competing for a championship unless you have somebody better coming in.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:56 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Gronk wants to play here. Mike, Katie make it happen you dont let CJ walk on that contract when your competing for a championship unless you have somebody better coming in.

Gronk is not going to play with anyone other than Brady.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:18 AM)Interceptor Wrote: Move Sample off the roster.

I agree.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:48 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: Think Perine on 3rd down over Mixon......................................................

Sample in to block in situational, someone like Howard/Everett to come in on passing downs. Howard/Everett could be better overall, but we'll put Sample in to block in certain plays when the game is on the line.

To answer in short, I would be shocked if Sample was our #1.

Sample woud be lucky as a # 3 on another team that has just decent TEs....the guy is a 2nd round bust....
Pray we get OJ Howard , Everett or Draft someone that can make some plays for us there 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Gronk is not going to play with anyone other than Brady.

He said 3 days ago he really wanted to play with Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:04 AM)kalibengal Wrote: Sample woud be lucky as a # 3 on another team that has just decent TEs....the guy is a 2nd round bust....
Pray we get OJ Howard , Everett or Draft someone that can make some plays for us there 

I agree with you. I can't stand seeing Burrow give Sample more chances. The guy is a joke of a pass catching TE. Sign Everett, draft McBride/Likely in R2. Done. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:05 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He said 3 days ago he really wanted to play with Burrow. 

And did anything major happen since then?

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:05 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He said 3 days ago he really wanted to play with Burrow. 

That was before Brady came back. Gronk isn't coming here. 
Reply/Quote