Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you happy with AJ Green's targets/usage?
How many times a game we attempt to throw and use AJ, are you happy with it?

He is currently 12th in the NFL with 91 targets (about 8 per game). To put that in context, Antonio Brown leads the NFL with 126 targets (about 11 per game).

I have to admit, I was actually pretty surprised that he was as high as 12th in the league. I thought he would be a lot lower.

Sometimes I feel like we could do a lot more to get AJ the ball. We run a lot of quick hitters to Lafell on the outside, why not run those plays to AJ? He is much better after the catch.

Also, there was a lot of 1 on 1 coverage last week against the Browns with no safety over the top, why not take some chances and throw it up to him? There really isn't anyone in the league better at going up and getting the ball.

I would be interested to see the stats on targets over 20 yards. I couldn't find it though.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 06:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How many times a game we attempt to throw and use AJ, are you happy with it?

He is currently 12th in the NFL with 91 targets (about 8 per game). To put that in context, Antonio Brown leads the NFL with 126 targets (about 11 per game).

I have to admit, I was actually pretty surprised that he was as high as 12th in the league. I thought he would be a lot lower.

Sometimes I feel like we could do a lot more to get AJ the ball. We run a lot of quick hitters to Lafell on the outside, why not run those plays to AJ? He is much better after the catch.

Also, there was a lot of 1 on 1 coverage last week against the Browns with no safety over the top, why not take some chances and throw it up to him? There really isn't anyone in the league better at going up and getting the ball.

I would be interested to see the stats on targets over 20 yards. I couldn't find it though.

Well the defenses are gonna focus on green that's why its so important to get others going as that will be the best thing to help green.. Other targets to scare a defense.

But we seem to throw to him a lot and even force it sometimes(lot of INTS throwing to green).    I don't want to become a megatron offense were we seemling only throw to green.. and live and die by that.

we gotta get him more involved for sure at least more consistently involved.  But a lot of the lack of targets has been due to the lack of plays the offense has been running...

If we ran 33 plays and he got 8 targets that's pretty high
Reply/Quote
I am ok with it in fact I wish we had better talent around him so he can get better numbers on less attempts. Other Wrs not Dalton
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Well if you're looking at an Antonio Brown, you have to consider that the Steelers are averaging 6.6 more pass attempts per game. Meaning more targets to go around.

Green accounts for 28.1% of all of our targets.
Brown accounts for 31.8% of all Steelers targets.

Not a huge difference. If we had as many attempts as the Steelers, Green would have 112 targets (using his current %). That would only be 14 fewer targets than Brown. I'm fine with that. Not a huge difference, and I think offenses function better when they spread the ball around more.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 06:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well if you're looking at an Antonio Brown, you have to consider that the Steelers are averaging 6.6 more pass attempts per game. Meaning more targets to go around.

Green accounts for 28.1% of all of our targets.
Brown accounts for 31.8% of all Steelers targets.

Not a huge difference. If we had as many attempts as the Steelers, Green would have 112 targets (using his current %). That would only be 14 fewer targets than Brown. I'm fine with that. Not a huge difference, and I think offenses function better when they spread the ball around more.

Good point. 
Reply/Quote
As long as AJ is happy with it; I am
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If anything i think we force it to AJ too often.

Need other weapons to step up, i like spreading the ball around myself.

Just need to use some more of the plays that he is great at, post routes, fade routes, let him go up for the ball and use his size more often.

He is great at going up for the ball, probably the best, even better than Julio.
Reply/Quote
No

Also i feel half of those targets are shitty unwatchable passes when AJ finally does manage to beat a guy deep
Reply/Quote
i can't remember throwing him a fade in the red zone all year. That's the only gripe I have with it because we've tried to run alot of cutsie plays that have been stuffed for nada
Reply/Quote
Don't care about distribution, I care about wins.

I want AJ to get as many touches as are needed to win.
Reply/Quote
Thought those numbers were lower, seems like some games we forget about him.

As our best player would like to see the ball in his hands more.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Yes -- because it doesn't matter. If AJ is targeted because he's open, great. If he's double covered that means other guys can get open too. That's also great.
Reply/Quote
They blanket AJ like no other, they can get away with it because up until the Browns game, we haven't had a run game, nor a viable, dangerous second threat on the team. You risk turnovers when we force it to AJ. I'd like to see him targeted more, especially on deep balls. We will see for the future.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 08:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If anything i think we force it to AJ too often.

Need other weapons to step up, i like spreading the ball around myself.

Just need to use some more of the plays that he is great at, post routes, fade routes, let him go up for the ball and use his size more often.

He is great at going up for the ball, probably the best, even better than Julio.

Lafell and Boyd are good players but they sure as hell don't scare teams.  This is why we drafted Ross.  Would rather have Sanu or Jones back instead tho.
Reply/Quote
There are times we throw to AJ when we shouldn't because he's in double coverage. If we get others involved more, AJ will see more. With a predictable offense such as ours, defenses feel safe making sure he is doubled up often.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 06:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As long as AJ is happy with it; I am

This.....beat me to it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 09:32 PM)Housh Wrote: No

Also i feel half of those targets are shitty unwatchable passes when AJ finally does manage to beat a guy deep

Mellow Rolleyes

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Dalton-has-pretty-great-numbers-over-the-past-5-games

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If OL was better Aj would have more targets and TD's. Think he is getting about all Andy can do and some are forced.

Agree with HarleyDog though that if we opened it up more to others AJ would benefit in long run from it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 11:13 PM)bonesaw Wrote: i can't remember throwing him a fade in the red zone all year.  That's the only gripe I have with it because we've tried to run alot of cutsie plays that have been stuffed for nada

They threw a fade to him Sunday but it was 20 feet over his head. 
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 09:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: This.....beat me to it.

Sometimes im not sure how happy AJ is with it. I have seen him get visibly frustrated on the sidelines on more than one occasion. 
Reply/Quote