Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aristides Aquino & Nick Senzel
When do we end the experiment with these two ?

Remember when Senzel was widely viewed as the Reds savior ? Since his ok 2019 debut he's appeared in 64 games batting .185 with 3 HR's, 11 doubles, 17 RBI's and a .229 OBP. He's currently missed the last 5 games with illness.

Remember the punisher from the last month or so of the 2019 season ? Since then he's batting .149 with 13 HR's and 33 RBI's. He has to be among the ML leaders in SO per AB. He's currently tied for the ML lead in strikeouts. He's a SO machine.

How long can you roll the dice with these guys ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Senzel is officially a bust and it is sad that the Reds continue to treat the HR streak Aquino went on years ago as evidence he's a big league player. He's not.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 08:37 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Senzel is officially a bust and it is sad that the Reds continue to treat the HR streak Aquino went on years ago as evidence he's a big league player. He's not.

I don't begin to know all the ins and outs of ML contracts, trading, money and so on. Well neither can have any trade value ! But wow end the suffering with these two somehow. Send em to the minors or something.

Senzel just can't stay healthy and Aquino just can't hit ML pitching.

Enough is enough.
Reply/Quote
It reminds me of where I worked and the goal was just to get a body to fill the position. These guys are just filling the spots because the Reds have no other plans to fill them.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 08:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't begin to know all the ins and outs of ML contracts, trading, money and so on. Well neither can have any trade value ! But wow end the suffering with these two somehow. Send em to the minors or something.

Senzel just can't stay healthy and Aquino just can't hit ML pitching.

Enough is enough.

Senzel not being able to stay healthy or on the field is disappointing. He seems to have talent, but never gets to play along enough to put together a consistent, productive season.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 08:37 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Senzel is officially a bust and it is sad that the Reds continue to treat the HR streak Aquino went on years ago as evidence he's a big league player. He's not.

Maybe the Reds just have a terrible hitting coach?  Obviously those guys were viewed as MLB quality players at some point, failure to properly develop talent points more toward poor coaching.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 09:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe the Reds just have a terrible hitting coach?  Obviously those guys were viewed as MLB quality players at some point, failure to properly develop talent points more toward poor coaching.

That's possible, regarding Aquinio. Senzel is still an unknown. Big leaguers need consistent at bats to over the course of 162 games to put together a good hitting season because of the highs and lows of being a major league hitter. Since Senzel is consistently hurt, we don't get to see what he is capable of with the bat.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 09:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe the Reds just have a terrible hitting coach?  Obviously those guys were viewed as MLB quality players at some point, failure to properly develop talent points more toward poor coaching.

I've wondered about that ? One of the announcers a game or two ago was commenting on Aquino and his issues and in so many words said. "Aquino has to change how he's approaching his hitting".

One would think any decent hitting instructor would recognize what he's doing now isn't working. Do something for crying out loud !
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 06:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Remember when Senzel was widely viewed as the Reds savior ? Since his ok 2019 debut he's appeared in 64 games batting .185 with 3 HR's, 11 doubles, 17 RBI's and a .229 OBP. He's currently missed the last 5 games with illness.

Not that it makes a lot of difference, but Senzel has hit .217 since 2019 with a .280 OBP, not .185 avg and .229 OBP.

Senzel is also a lot older than I thought he was. He is already 27 years old.  I thought he was younger than 24 his rookie season in '19.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 12:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've wondered about that ? One of the announcers a game or two ago was commenting on Aquino and his issues and in so many words said. "Aquino has to change how he's approaching his hitting".

One would think any decent hitting instructor would recognize what he's doing now isn't working. Do something for crying out loud !

I know players have a tougher time with two strikes on them.  I think the ML average is about .170.  This is his lifetime stats when the count reaches two strikes.

0-2 count....1/44...(.023 BA)
1-2 count....9/84...(.110 BA)
2-2 count....10/83..(.121 BA)
3-2 count.....3/78...(.059 BA)
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not that it makes a lot of difference, but Senzel has hit .217 since 2019 with a .280 OBP, not .185 avg and .229 OBP.

Senzel is also a lot older than I thought he was. He is already 27 years old.  I thought he was younger than 24 his rookie season in '19.

Wow, I didn't realize he's also already 27. He should now be in his prime, but instead he's panning out to be an over hyped and failed prospect that never experienced big league success.  You made a depressing thread even more depressing with this revelatory fact.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 12:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've wondered about that ? One of the announcers a game or two ago was commenting on Aquino and his issues and in so many words said. "Aquino has to change how he's approaching his hitting".

Brantley talked about it last night. He offered good hitters know their preferred pitch type and location; then they anticipate when it will come during the at bat. If they get to 0-2, then they transition to just getting the bat on the ball. He basically painted the picture that Aquino has no such approach to hitting and that someone needs to work with him.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 10:13 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Wow, I didn't realize he's also already 27. He should now be in his prime, but instead he's panning out to be an over hyped and failed prospect that never experienced big league success.  You made a depressing thread even more depressing with this revelatory fact.  Hilarious

Senzel for whatever reasons just isn't able to stay healthy/on the field. It's sad, but he just can't do it. It's time they accept it and move on. And I didn't realize he was that old either.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 10:16 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Brantley talked about it last night. He offered good hitters know their preferred pitch type and location; then they anticipate when it will come during the at bat. If they get to 0-2, then they transition to just getting the bat on the ball. He basically painted the picture that Aquino has no such approach to hitting and that someone needs to work with him.

I just don't get why they don't work with him on his approach to hitting ? It sure seems he's been doing the same free swinging for two plus seasons now and nothing has changed. In 30 AB's he's struck out 18X and has an .067 average. I'm pretty sure even my old ass could hit .067 just getting pure lucky holding the bat in the strike zone.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 10:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I just don't get why they don't work with him on his approach to hitting ? It sure seems he's been doing the same free swinging for two plus seasons now and nothing has changed. In 30 AB's he's struck out 18X and has an .067 average. I'm pretty sure even my old ass could hit .067 just getting pure lucky holding the bat in the strike zone.

Maybe he resists coaching, and if such speculation is true then why the hell does he start? I don't get it. Is him starting a tug-of-war battle between the front office and Bell? For example, is Bell being ordered to start the guy? I'm only speculating because I'm trying to understand why this dude plays.

Our OF might be the worst in baseball. It's a team of guys that would be average, at best, at AAA.

Ah, this forum is going to be my Reds venting place.
Reply/Quote

Aquino just had one good year in the minors at the age of 25, which was his 9th year in the Reds minor league system, got a call up and had that HR streak the same year. Outside of that 1 year, he's been pretty bad in both of the minors and majors over his other 11 years of professional baseball.

He hit .248/.310/.455 in 10 seasons in the minors and struck out ~25% of the time.

Senzel is just made of glass. Not much you can do about that coaching-wise.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
They should outright release Aquino. Senzel might as will keep starting along with the other AAA scrubs.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 10:00 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: They should outright release Aquino. Senzel might as will keep starting along with the other AAA scrubs.

Yes a thousand yes's 

He's batting .050something and strikes out constantly. He's 27 years old and if he ain't got it by now he's not going to get it. Put whoever out there and stop the stupid platooning crap. At least whoever will probably bat .200

Oh and Fred was right about him back during the punisher era, lol. Saying he was a flash in the pan. And Fred ain't often right so I like to give him credit when he deserves it.
Reply/Quote
Aquino is out.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/04/reds-designate-aristides-aquino-select-connor-overton.html
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:02 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Aquino is out.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/04/reds-designate-aristides-aquino-select-connor-overton.html

I mean I hate it for the young man but he just isn't a big leaguer.
Reply/Quote