Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As Much As We Love Mixon...
(02-16-2023, 10:59 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I love Mixon and have went to bat for him on the board quite a bit but its restructuring time. Does he have to No but should he...Yes

I'll say this until I'm blue in the face that the league is moving away from the high priced running backs and 6'6 defensive ends. Micha Parsons changed the game and everyone is open to 235-245 rushers. The runner that can be lightning in a bottle 3-7 in the draft. Its really just an interesting discussion. 

Think we have to cut the guy, too bad I like how he runs at times, but we need RB's that are great in pass protection #1 and we 
need that salary for retaining our own and adding at least 3 more players before the Draft to open it up.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 12:29 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Most recently Clyde Edwards Helaire for KC

He had zero implant on that game. I don’t meant a player on the roster, i meant an actual contributor
Reply/Quote
The team would be much better served cutting Mixon or restructuring considerably lower if he is willing.

Looking at his production, it nowhere near warrants his contract at this point.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 11:39 AM)PDub80 Wrote: The team would be much better served cutting Mixon or restructuring considerably lower if he is willing.

Looking at his production, it nowhere near warrants his contract at this point.

The fact we dont have his replacement yet is the only leverage Mixon has, if he refuses a restructure and is cut the market is not going to pay him what he wants.  Take away the Panthers game and Mixon is bottom tier in almost every category.  

If the team requests the restructure, I could see them waiting until after the draft.  They always have the replacement on the team when cutting someone.  They may be skittish to enter thee draft without Mixon and potentially be forced into taking a player they may not have preferred.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2023, 11:54 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The fact we dont have his replacement yet is the only leverage Mixon has, if he refuses a restructure and is cut the market is not going to pay him what he wants.  Take away the Panthers game and Mixon is bottom tier in almost every category.  

If the team requests the restructure, I could see them waiting until after the draft.  They always have the replacement on the team when cutting someone.  They may be skittish to enter thee draft without Mixon and potentially be forced into taking a player they may not have preferred.

100% agree w you on Mixon performance assesment.

How you you feel about this RB room in 2023...

- (resigned) Perine, Evan, T Williams, + Draft pick

- Mixon's money then goes into whatever.... Pratt, Dline, or Oline?

^ Expanding on that into a 2nd question if... IF they can grab the TE from ND in the draft... cut Boyd and then use that money on Dline/Oline as well?

To me, Boyd continued to fade for parts of games, had injuries,, dissapeared for chunks of season, etc. The defenses other teams played to limit Higgins and Chase was helped by the Bengals having nothing over the middle of the field that was even remotely dangerous.

The above could be scheme or lack of preparation in play calling (hard to believe since this happened most of the year).
Reply/Quote
Mixon needs restructuring at minimum and possibly it is time to cut bait and go in a different direction. Perine can be the de facto starter in a committee (and since he is FAR better at pass protection the fit is good) with a draft pick or FA as the stablemate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 12:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: Mixon needs restructuring at minimum and possibly it is time to cut bait and go in a different direction. Perine can be the de facto starter in a committee (and since he is FAR better at pass protection the fit is good) with a draft pick or FA as the stablemate.

Can't find fault in this.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 12:31 PM)PDub80 Wrote: 100% agree w you on Mixon performance assesment.

How you you feel about this RB room in 2023...

- (resigned) Perine, Evan, T Williams, + Draft pick

- Mixon's money then goes into whatever....  Pratt, Dline, or Oline?

^ Expanding on that into a 2nd question if... IF they can grab the TE from ND in the draft... cut Boyd and then use that money on Dline/Oline as well?

To me, Boyd continued to fade for parts of games, had injuries,, dissapeared for chunks of season, etc. The defenses other teams played to limit Higgins and Chase was helped by the Bengals having nothing over the middle of the field that was even remotely dangerous.

The above could be scheme or lack of preparation in play calling (hard to believe since this happened most of the year).

I'm fine with that RB room, Trayveon is a FA as well.  There are several good backs in the draft.  Guys like Achone and Spears provide an awesome change of pace and passing game options, or an Evans, Tank, Roschon as a permanent replacement for the future, all works for me.  (I was never big on the Evans pick, UM couldnt get it out of him, kid started only 5 games in 4 years and we draft him... we obviously cannot get his potential to come through either, Im not surprised).

I was eviscerated on this board last year when I suggested trading Boyd before this past season to take advantage of the crazy WR market and him being at max value with 2 years left on his contract.  That 10M could have gone to the oline and there are always solid slot receivers.

Reply/Quote
In a “pass first” offense, like we run, Perrine as the starter would be fine. He’s also a decent pass catcher. Plus, he’s better at going north/south than Mixon’s dancing behind scrimmage looking for a hole, particularly with this OL.

That said, there are some nice options in this draft at RB. Do a RB by committee. Simaje and the draft RB. We also have Chris Evens as an option for depth.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 01:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm fine with that RB room, Trayveon is a FA as well.  There are several good backs in the draft.  Guys like Achone and Spears provide an awesome change of pace and passing game options, or an Evans, Tank, Roschon as a permanent replacement for the future, all works for me.  (I was never big on the Evans pick, UM couldnt get it out of him, kid started only 5 games in 4 years and we draft him... we obviously cannot get his potential to come through either, Im not surprised).

I was eviscerated on this board last year when I suggested trading Boyd before this past season to take advantage of the crazy WR market and him being at max value with 2 years left on his contract.  That 10M could have gone to the oline and there are always solid slot receivers.

That happens on here?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 02:15 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: In a “pass first” offense, like we run, Perrine as the starter would be fine.  He’s also a decent pass catcher.  Plus, he’s better at going north/south than Mixon’s dancing behind scrimmage looking for a hole, particularly with this OL.

That said, there are some nice options in this draft at RB.  Do a RB by committee.  Simaje and the draft RB.  We also have Chris Evens as an option for depth.

Chris Evans is behind Trayveon Williams I believe

so Evans is practically irrelevant 
Reply/Quote
I'd like to know what it is about Evans that keeps him off the field. In the very limited snaps he's gotten, he seems to be pretty successful. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 11:14 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm drooling over Bijan Robinson. I like the idea of using the 1st round pick on him even if it is no longer passé to take a RB early.

As much as I hate the Stains up in Cleveland, I wouldn't even allow them to sign a RB in round 1.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 03:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd like to know what it is about Evans that keeps him off the field. In the very limited snaps he's gotten, he seems to be pretty successful. 

He's slow and can't do anything that Mixon and Perine can't do. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 02:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Chris Evans is behind Trayveon Williams I believe

so Evans is practically irrelevant 

Good catch.  Forgot about Traveon.

We don't n need RB3 to do more than RB1 or RB2. Just need him to give a respite every once in a while and to have another body for the opposing defense to cover.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 03:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd like to know what it is about Evans that keeps him off the field. In the very limited snaps he's gotten, he seems to be pretty successful. 

Ask Michigan as well, who drafts a RB that started only 5 games in his 5 years of college, being suspended for the season his 1st Sr year?  They couldnt get his potential out of him and we havent either. 

Watching the Chiefs draft gems like Pacheko and we dont even draft starters annoys me.  

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 01:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm fine with that RB room, Trayveon is a FA as well.  There are several good backs in the draft.  Guys like Achone and Spears provide an awesome change of pace and passing game options, or an Evans, Tank, Roschon as a permanent replacement for the future, all works for me.  (I was never big on the Evans pick, UM couldnt get it out of him, kid started only 5 games in 4 years and we draft him... we obviously cannot get his potential to come through either, Im not surprised).

And there's the problem right there.

The crazy WR market was only crazy for #1 (whether actually or just perceived as #1) WRs. If there's always solid slot receivers, then why would anyone give much for Boyd? They'd have to give up both draft compensation and salary compensation for a position you're claiming that they could always just get a solid replacement for ONLY salary compensation. People were paying big for #1s in both picks and contracts because they're #1s, you can't just always get one of those.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 05:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And there's the problem right there.

The crazy WR market was only crazy for #1 (whether actually or just perceived as #1) WRs. If there's always solid slot receivers, then why would anyone give much for Boyd? They'd have to give up both draft compensation and salary compensation for a position you're claiming that they could always just get a solid replacement for ONLY salary compensation. People were paying big for #1s in both picks and contracts because they're #1s, you can't just always get one of those.

Boyd's production and experienced would have been somewhat valuable to someone. I wouldnt have expected a 1st Round pick for him or remotely close.  My comment regarding slots pertains to the draft, and easier to cultivate since we already have 2 excellent WRs.

How many of these would you had been ok with in a trade last off season:
2nd round
3rd round
3rd round and later pick.
4th round and a pick in 2024.

Each comes with freeing up 10M for 2 years to sign maybe a Laken Tomlinson?  Tackle free agency was not very good last year...

I have nothing against Boyd, he was just the most valuable with highest trade potential that might hurt the least.  I have wanted oline, and I will always want oline with Burrow and Chase.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2023, 06:15 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Boyd's production and experienced would have been somewhat valuable to someone. I wouldnt have expected a 1st Round pick for him or remotely close.  My comment regarding slots pertains to the draft, and easier to cultivate since we already have 2 excellent WRs.

How many of these would you had been ok with in a trade last off season:
2nd round
3rd round
3rd round and later pick.
4th round and a pick in 2024.

Each comes with freeing up 10M for 2 years to sign maybe a Laken Tomlinson?  Tackle free agency was not very good last year...

I have nothing against Boyd, he was just the most valuable with highest trade potential that might hurt the least.  I have wanted oline, and I will always want oline with Burrow and Chase.

I'm not confident we'd get any of those 4 for Boyd, though. Maybe a single present-year 4th? Or just a future-year 3rd? I'm not sure I would want to trade Boyd for either of those. If they needed more money last offseason, the easy answer was to either not tag Bates and let him walk (you'd get $14m and a future 3rd comp pick) or try to trade him after he signed the tag. Or don't sign BJ Hill to what was a very predictable overpay for underwhelming results.

Doubt Boyd being on the roster or not changed anything with their Ts. They were riding with Jonah and Collins for better or worse. And Volson.

Jarvis Landry didn't get signed until a couple weeks after the Draft, and was signed for 1yr/$3m. Allen Lazard got 1yr/$4m, JuJu got 1yr/$3.76m. DeVante Parker was traded for a 2023 3rd round pick, but they had to include a 2022 5th round pick. So they had to include a present-year pick with the player in order to get a future-year 3rd. 

There just seems to be a gigantic gulf between what teams are willing to trade for and pay #1 WRs and what they're willing to trade for and pay definitively not #1s lately.

If I had to guess why, it's probably because in 2020 and 2021 alone you had Amon-Ra St Brown, Nico Collin, Josh Palmer, Devin Duvernay, Gabriel Davis, Darnell Mooney, KJ Osborn, Donovan Peoples-Jones, and Quez Watkins all be productive Day 3 WRs, and you get them for 4 years at under $1.5m/yr.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote