Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athletic Scholarships for High School Athletes
This is an interesting article laying out why "investing" in your kids getting an athletic scholarship is a losing bet.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/these-are-the-sports-your-child-should-play-to-get-a-college-scholarship-2017-05-08?mod=MW_story_top_stories%27
Reply/Quote
I know people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on pitching/hitting lessons. If they get a full ride they might break even.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 01:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I know people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on pitching/hitting lessons.  If they get a full ride they might break even.

Now ask those people would they bet tens of thousands of dollars on odds that range from 40 to 1 down to 177 to 1. The answer is probably hell no, but yet they do it with their kids and their college.
Reply/Quote
Money could be better spent on steroids and HGH.

Get your kid big enough and he will get a scholarship somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Money could be better spent on steroids and HGH.

Get your kid big enough and he will get a scholarship somewhere.

I'm assuming this was sarcasm, but the sad thing is this does happen more than people want to admit. It is because of this notion that the best way to go to college is through athletics.
Reply/Quote
My son got a full ride Track Scholarship. Cost me a couple pair of spikes and about 4 pairs of shoes a year.

Lasted about 2 years before the fact you also had to study and go to classes in College caught up with him.

BTW: If you are ever in the market for Running equipment. This is a great site:

http://www.firsttothefinish.com/
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
When I was a sports editor I used to work with parents putting together highlight packages. When you're out in the sticks, you don't get a lot of college scouts coming out to watch a girls soccer game or a volleyball match. Many of those kids did get invited to go play college sports, but most of them ended up getting academic scholarships instead of athletic. One kid broke every basketball record at his high school and gained a little sizzle several years ago with a shot in the NCAA tournament. Same thing — he got recruited by a dozen or so colleges, but his free ride didn't come basketball, it came from a good GPA.

I volunteer with some youth leagues and even in youth sports parents start talking about joining this travel team or that one based off college coaches that work with the club. I always tell them they'd serve their child better if they encourage better study habits and reward the kid for getting straight A's as much as they do scoring a goal.
Reply/Quote