Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atkins and Dunlap Frustrated with Being Phased Out
(10-19-2020, 11:54 PM)pally Wrote: or was he reacting to all the comments about teammate Bobby Hart?

Seemed like more comments were about Zach and he seemed annoyed but it could have been either or both. 

I'm still not 100% sure what the point of the entire thing was...

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 11:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: For all of those saying fire Zach, keep in mind a new coach could also mean a new QB....

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 01:28 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

Trust me, I don't think it would happen, I'm just having fun playing Devil's advocate.

It's happened just a few years back with Kingsbury and Rosen and Murray, replace a 1st rounder with a first rounder. Turned out to be the right move in that situation.

My question becomes, with all the blame on one player, or one coach or whatever, what happens if say they offer the job to Bieniemy and he says yeah, I'll take it but I want to draft my own guy who is similar to Mahomes to run my offense. Or you get a college coach like Ohio State's coach and he says I'll come but I want to draft Fields to run my offense. What do you do then, do you stay with Taylor, pass on your first coaching choice to keep the QB? 

As I said, I don't think it will happen, and to be honest I don't think Taylor is even close to being in trouble with the front office yet, just stirring the pot a little.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 08:39 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: ZT isn't going anywhere after this season.  To the best of my knowledge, no coach has ever drafted a QB #1 overall and not had at least 2 years to prove something with him.  Hell, I don't even know if that has happened with a QB in the first round, much less 1OA...

Not the case at all. Not even close.

Hue Jackson didn't last 2 years with Mayfield.
Jeff Fisher didn't last even 1 year with Goff.
Lovie Smith only lasted 1 year with Jaemis Winston.

That's literally 3 of the last 4 who didn't with just 1st overall, not even touching your absurd 1st round claim.

The key thread with those 3 QBs/HCs (and Burrow/Taylor)? All 3 of them were HCs that were there the year before. When you have a 1st overall pick, the HC should be gone. Clean slate with a new QB. Failing to do so ends up with your 1st overall QB having a new HC 1-2 years later more often than not.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 11:14 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: So nothing of note was said?

Just another chance for Dunlap to wear a social justice t-shirt in front of his fans. He is obviously more entrenched in that this year than he is football. Plus, for some reason I guess he thought people wanted to see him chomping on potato chips..... 
Reply/Quote
Go back and re-watch the first 3 or 4 games this season, especially the Brown's game, and focus on Dunlap. You will see just about every run go right through his lane because he is getting pushed too deep when trying to get around the end. Then tell me he deserves more playing time. He is just going through the motions out there.
Reply/Quote
Dunlap has been non-existent, and Geno has been shut out on 37 snaps so far, not even a single stat on the stat sheet including not even a QB pressure.

In typical fashion, this organization missed the opportunity to trade two aging veterans while they still held some trade value last year while in the middle of a 2-14 season. Now they're eating millions for no production.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 02:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Well, a lot of people wanted to move on from these guys last season.  (Those same people look pretty freaking smart right now.)

And there's a difference between wanting to move from them in the future vs. letting them sit and rot on the bench in the meantime.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand any of this, because you label people with legitimate gripes and frustations as being irrational fans who think the sky is falling.

Simple question (don't expect an answer):  Why pay Geno and Carlos a combined 25 million to play under 40% of the snaps?

Is that not a complete misuse of cap space?  If Geno Atkins is worse than Xavier Williams, and Dunlap is worse than Amani Bledsoe, then doesn't that say something about the front office that kept these guys around?

Yep, count me among them. 

This is just another in the long list of examples of the dysfunction of this team. They're reactive instead of proactive. It was crazy to use the tag on AJ. 

The last round up for the old regime was 2019. Any competent FO/staff would have realized that and acted on it. But not us, we have to show our loyalty and take another 4 win or less season on the chin.

Is there any hope going forward ?
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 09:34 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, count me among them. 

This is just another in the long list of examples of the dysfunction of this team. They're reactive instead of proactive. It was crazy to use the tag on AJ. 

The last round up for the old regime was 2019. Any competent FO/staff would have realized that and acted on it. But not us, we have to show our loyalty and take another 4 win or less season on the chin.

Is there any hope going forward ?

The hope has a last name of Burrow. He's going to be good enough to overcome the ineptitude of this organization if they just surround him with an average offensive line. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 11:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Maybe they were part of the plan? Geno was injured, can't blame the coach for taking it easy on him. Dunlap, is just straight up sucking this year. He's lazy and pretty much takes 75% of the plays off.
People ***** when coaches stay with vets that aren't performing and then when they change it up, they *****. Why is that? 

Because ultimately people want the players to earn their pay.
If you play and underperform, you're not worth your pay.
If you sit the bench, you're a highly overpriced backup.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 10:11 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Because ultimately people want the players to earn their pay.
If you play and underperform, you're not worth your pay.
If you sit the bench, you're a highly overpriced backup.

That and if you lose games in spite of disciplining, that's not really going to win you a lot of respect with these guys. I don't mind him punishing him, but it only looks like the right call when the results are there. What player is going to trust his decision making when he's losing like this? It's just a fine line to walk in the NFL. It's why being a leader of grown ass men that play a violent sport is incredibly difficult. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I don't think I've ever seen a Bengals reporter be as blunt about a player(s).  From Paul Dehner's article in today's The Athletic.  His bottom line...cut them both...NOW.

note...the article is behind a paywall but the subscription cost is currently $1.00 for a month.

https://theathletic.com/2148732/2020/10/20/dehner-jr-time-is-now-for-cincinnnati-bengals-carlos-dunlap-geno-atkins-to-part-ways-zac-taylor-lou-anarumo/

Quote:Another wave is coming. Dunlap will inevitably be let go after the season. His contract basically demands it. More than likely the same can be said for Atkins. It looks like his play will demand it.

If that’s the case, then what are you waiting for? To let this get worse? Let it hang around and hover inside the locker room like the Cordy Glenn situation did last year? To get more reduced-role, non-contributions while the distractions spin out of control?

Just be done with it. Move on. All sides would be better off with a change of scenery to put this mess behind you.

Dunlap and Atkins have done great things for this franchise. Dunlap may still end up the all-time sack leader and Atkins is probably the best value draft pick in team history and maybe the best defensive player selected in team history.

But they aren’t that anymore. They are extras doing more hindering of the team digging out of this rebuild abyss than helping it.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 11:01 AM)pally Wrote: I don't think I've ever seen a Bengals reporter be as blunt about a player(s).  From Paul Dehner's article in today's The Athletic.  His bottom line...cut them both...NOW.

note...the article is behind a paywall but the subscription cost is currently $1.00 for a month.

https://theathletic.com/2148732/2020/10/20/dehner-jr-time-is-now-for-cincinnnati-bengals-carlos-dunlap-geno-atkins-to-part-ways-zac-taylor-lou-anarumo/

Whoa...

There must be a whole lot more going on behind the scenes for Dehner to speak this way.

What a disaster.
Reply/Quote
This team is at a tipping point right now with the decisions the coaches are making and the team not being able to win more than 1 game.

The firework are about to go off....
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 11:28 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Are you suggesting the new guys are tearing it up? Bledsoe isn’t quite a household name yet lol, not as a DE anyways.

Not suggesting that. I am suggesting if the vets are just loafing and not putting in the work, then why not give the job to young guy who works his ass off and is willing to learn. I do agree with getting rid of them soon, however at the beginning of the season, who knew Geno would get injured and Carlos would be a lil *****, who is washed up?
Reply/Quote
From what the coaches are saying they are still easing Geno in not wanting to aggravate his shoulder injury.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 11:15 AM)Synric Wrote: From what the coaches are saying they are still easing Geno in not wanting to aggravate his shoulder injury.

I fully think this is the case, and his workload with increase. Carlos just has an attitude problem and will probably be gone.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 11:15 AM)Synric Wrote: From what the coaches are saying they are still easing Geno in not wanting to aggravate his shoulder injury.

I was thinking that was the case. It's a long season and DTs with bad shoulders usually don't last long. Wasn't it a couple of seasons ago, Geno had 700 snaps or something like that? It wore him down. 
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 11:19 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I was thinking that was the case. It's a long season and DTs with bad shoulders usually don't last long. Wasn't it a couple of seasons ago, Geno had 700 snaps or something like that? It wore him down. 

I watched him pretty close in the Indy game. I saw no lack of effort, but I also saw very little push. He is just not there yet.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 11:06 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Whoa...

There must be a whole lot more going on behind the scenes for Dehner to speak this way.

What a disaster.

And I sure hope Atkins and Dunlap are reading what writers are saying. Maybe go back and look at some game film honestly and it will answer their questions as to why their playing time was cut.
Reply/Quote