Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attempted Coup In Turkey
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/world/europe/military-attempts-coup-in-turkey-prime-minister-says.html?_r=0

Since Turkey is a part of NATO, does that mean NATO has to come to their defense?

Also, should NATO just let the Turkish military take over in Turkey?
(07-15-2016, 06:23 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/world/europe/military-attempts-coup-in-turkey-prime-minister-says.html?_r=0

Since Turkey is a part of NATO, does that mean NATO has to come to their defense?

Also, should NATO just let the Turkish military take over in Turkey?

This seems like a big deal. I will have to research.

To answer your question: Yes, NATO should act. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Without having much knowledge of Turkish culture and history, I'll just have to learn a bit more, before forming an opinion.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Some quick thoughts:

First, this is like the third coup or attempt in 50 years. It happens there occasionally.

Second, it is the military trying to take power. I'm sure NATO hasn't done anything to encourage this, but it is much more in NATO's interest right now to have the Turkish military running Turkey. The military will not screw around with Turkeys agreements to NATO. They know better. The current civilian government hasn't always been real helpful with NATO, the West and the U.S.'s goals. Just sayin'.

Third, there may very well be more going on here than what we are privy to. The civilian governments there have become increasingly Islamic rather than secular. This has made a lot of people in the West quite concerned for some time.

Fourth, our government won't do anything right now but wait and see. Same with Europe.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Pretty crazy stuff. Would hate to be in Turkey for any reason right about now. And I am sure there are a good number of Americans there.

At least the announcements i have seen from the military doing this didnt mention anything about Islam.

Not sure who to root for.
Apparently there are some NATO nukes in the country too. Nuclear sharing sure seems like a bad idea right about now.
So far it seems the ones in the military that is staging it doesn't want the government moving away from being secular. In other words, they dont want Islam running things there and want to nip it in the bud? Thats what CNN reported a bit ago basically.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(07-15-2016, 07:45 PM)Millhouse Wrote: So far it seems the ones in the military that is staging it doesn't want the government moving away from being secular. In other words, they dont want Islam running things there and want to nip it in the bud? Thats what CNN reported a bit ago basically.

I had it on in the background and thought I heard that too.
(07-15-2016, 07:34 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Apparently there are some NATO nukes in the country too. Nuclear sharing sure seems like a bad idea right about now.

I'd say there's safeguards in place for that. Most of those would probably be with the military, which — from what I understand — is trying to keep religion and policy making separate. 
(07-15-2016, 07:29 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Pretty crazy stuff. Would hate to be in Turkey for any reason right about now. And I am sure there are a good number of Americans there.

Well we do have an Air Force Base that has about 5000 Airmen.

I find it hillarious that the ousted president is encouraging civilians to take to the streets and protest, while his administration basically outlawed protesting. This might be a coup that actually benefits the people of Turkey.
From what I can gather on the news, the coup is pro democracy, thinks more needs to be done to fight ISIS, thinks the President is being too authoritarian, and are concerned about the government being too religious.

I guess they're the lesser of two evils?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-15-2016, 08:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well we do have an Air Force Base that has about 5000 Airmen.

I was born on Incirlik. You guys can consider me the resident expert on Turkey. I am 0% Turkish, and I had a TA from Turkey named Emery in college. Also, I live up the street from a bunch of Turkish families.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-15-2016, 09:44 PM)jason Wrote: I was born on Incirlik. You guys can consider me the resident expert on Turkey. I am 0% Turkish, and I had a TA from Turkey named Emery in college. Also, I live up the street from a bunch of Turkish families.

I eat turkey yearly at Thanksgiving.  Ninja
(07-15-2016, 09:44 PM)jason Wrote:  I had a TA from Turkey 

I've had T&A from Turkey.

(07-15-2016, 08:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well we do have an Air Force Base that has about 5000 Airmen.

Man.. I hope those chair force folks got out of thier racks and/or the chow hall. Jk jk. Inappropriate.
It looks like the coup attempt has failed. The people support their elected officials.

Probably not the best thing for our interests in the area.
(07-15-2016, 11:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've had T&A from Turkey.

I enjoy turkey breast, but have never even tried the ass.
[Image: CnfB-kWXYAE-_G2.jpg]

Let's pretend like we weren't a part of this coup. It's like teens running from a house party.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Should we extradite the supposed Master-Mind?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-parties-turkey-support-erdogan-govt-074352507--politics.html?ref=gs

Quote:In a televised speech, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the United States should extradite Fethullah Gulen. Erdogan said Turkey had never turned back any extradition request for "terrorists" by the United States and stressed Turkey's joint role with the U.S. in fighting terrorism. "I say if we are strategic partners then you should bring about our request," he said.