Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attendance at PBS
The Bengals attendance numbers are basically the worst in the league this season. Yesterday was the lowest league-wide for a game excluding Chargers games at StubHub, and the lowest at PBS since 2011. Even last year's Christmas Eve game had slightly more people. Yikes.

But to be a tad bit fair, if the Bengals did fill every single seat, they would still be 21st overall, as PBS only holds 65,535 fans.

Yesterday's attendance -> 45,134 out of 65,535 (68.9%)
Yearly average thru 4 home games -> 52,113 (31st) ((Chargers are 32nd in a 25k stadium))
% of seats filled -> 30th at 79.5% (Rams and Skins are 31st and 32nd, but play in larger stadiums)

But yesterday was bad. As Shake noted in gameday thread, not surprising coming off of those two losses. Perhaps the weather scared a few folks off as well.

With 4 home games left, see how attendance plays out win or lose. Again, yesterday was the lowest number since 2011, and they were 4-3 going into that game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2018/10/29/daugherty-blog-cincinnati-bengals-fc-cincinnati-world-series-uc/1806579002/
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wonder if the brown family would move the team to London?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 02:41 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The Bengals attendance numbers are basically the worst in the league this season. Yesterday was the lowest league-wide for a game excluding Chargers games at StubHub, and the lowest at PBS since 2011. Even last year's Christmas Eve game had slightly more people. Yikes.

But to be a tad bit fair, if the Bengals did fill every single seat, they would still be 21st overall, as PBS only holds 65,535 fans.

Yesterday's attendance -> 45,134 out of 65,535 (68.9%)
Yearly average thru 4 home games -> 52,113 (31st) ((Chargers are 32nd in a 25k stadium))
% of seats filled -> 30th at 79.5% (Rams and Skins are 31st and 32nd, but play in larger stadiums)

But yesterday was bad. As Shake noted in gameday thread, not surprising coming off of those two losses. Perhaps the weather scared a few folks off as well.

With 4 home games left, see how attendance plays out win or lose. Again, yesterday was the lowest number since 2011, and they were 4-3 going into that game.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2018/10/29/daugherty-blog-cincinnati-bengals-fc-cincinnati-world-series-uc/1806579002/

Unfortunately, we know all to well how this season is going to end. We've seen this show many, many times before..... Marvin will be back regardless and Tyrel Austin will be back as well... people are sick of it. 5-3 is deceiving. We saw how this team looks on Defense...I'm pretty sure Alabama would put up 30+ on this team. 
Reply/Quote
I would hope they would leave the striped helmets here if they left for London. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 02:44 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Wonder if the brown family would move the team to London?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it.

However the lease is up in 8 years I think, 2026. And if attendance currently is lowest its been since 2011, I dont know.

Maybe the Brown family will realize sometimes it's more than just having a winning record at times.

Reply/Quote
This team is 5-3 and playing in front of a sparse crowd. I brought a friend with me for his first Bengals game and before the game even started he commented on the terrible crowd and asked where are the people were?

Lets be honest its not good for a winning team. No doubt the projected forecast didn't help.

Honestly though tickets across the board are becoming harder and harder to sell. We paid 1/2 of face value for seats in Atlanta for the Bengals game and there were thousands available on Stub Hub.

The cost of tickets, parking, beer, obnoxious fans and sitting in front of a big screen with the NFL Sunday Ticket are all factors.

Aside from allowing betting at the stadium I don't know what the long term fix is.

There will always be die hards like me that will attend hell or high water but Im the exception.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
The answer is 'hope' and Mikey and Marv bring none to the table. Fans need to know the team has hope and can build towards the chance of a championship. Fans will even accept a tear down if they believe the management is there to rebuild. But Mikey and ML have turned off the hope tap so no doubt fans have tuned out in terms of going to games.

I have had season tickets on and off for our local CFL team - I always follow the team but they only get my 'seat support' when they show me they are actually trying to win in a competent manner.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Having a winning season is much different than having a winning organization with a winning mindset. This trade deadline is a great example of the difference in the two!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 02:55 PM)corpjet Wrote: This team is 5-3 and playing in front of a sparse crowd.  I brought a friend with me for his first Bengals game and before the game even started he commented on the terrible crowd and asked where are the people were?

Lets be honest its not good for a winning team.  No doubt the projected forecast didn't help.

Honestly though tickets across the board are becoming harder and harder to sell.  We paid 1/2 of face value for seats in Atlanta for the Bengals game and there were thousands available on Stub Hub.

The cost of tickets, parking, beer, obnoxious fans and sitting in front of a big screen with the NFL Sunday Ticket are all factors.

Aside from allowing betting at the stadium I don't know what the long term fix is.

There will always be die hards like me that will attend hell or high water but Im the exception.
Attendance is down everywhere. Not just in the NFL. Watch a college game and if you aren't a big program, the stadium looks like there are about 1000 people in it.
Reply/Quote
Easy enough to explain.

1) Back-to-back losing seasons
2) Marvin Lewis re-signed after everyone was convinced he was finally gone
3) The NFL sucks
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 03:01 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The answer is 'hope' and Mikey and Marv bring none to the table. Fans need to know the team has hope and can build towards the chance of a championship. Fans will even accept a tear down if they believe the management is there to rebuild. But Mikey and ML have turned off the hope tap so no doubt fans have tuned out in terms of going to games.

I have had season tickets on and off for our local CFL team - I always follow the team but they only get my 'seat support' when they show me they are actually trying to win in a competent manner.

This. Winning organizations can make it through down years with the fans, because the fans know that ultimately the team is doing what it takes to win and the team will bounce back soon. THIS ORGANIZATION HAS NOT EARNED THAT BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT FROM THE FANS. 5-3 and with all the injuries, yet silence at the trade deadline.....they  are not all in to win so I don't blame the Fans for not being all in to support it.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 03:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Attendance is down everywhere. Not just in the NFL. Watch a college game and if you aren't a big program, the stadium looks like there are about 1000 people in it.

Yeah I get attendance has been down league wide to a point, but it isnt good to have 20k empty seats in a 65k stadium. So it goes beyond that for reasoning.

Reply/Quote
Being at the game yesterday it looked worse then that. It looked half full at best........... Maybe 75% of Lower Bowl full , 25% of Club Seats full, and 50% of the Upper Deck were full.
Reply/Quote
The fans aren't stupid, they can see what's coming.
Reply/Quote
The fan base is done with the Mike and Mike doesn't give a damn. Would not be surprised if the family tries to move the St.louis or Toronto.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 06:23 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The fan base is done with the Mike and Mike doesn't give a damn. Would not be surprised if the family tries to move the St.louis or Toronto.

2026 showdown between Mike Brown and the city of Cincinnati will be epic, a new stadium will be on the table for the taxpayers to pay for....Again, and get fleeced.....Again. Not happening this time....Goodbye Bengals. HELLO XFL FRANCHISE!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 05:46 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: Being at the game yesterday it looked worse then that. It looked half full at best........... Maybe 75% of Lower Bowl full , 25% of Club Seats full, and 50% of the Upper Deck were full.

Thought the same thing about the percentages.  Couldn't see much of the west side, but the east side and both end zones had huge swaths of seats empty.  Impacted the crowd noise, too, though those present did the best they could.  There were a few TB fans there, but that team isn't a big draw.  Guessing Nawlins won't pack them in either, but we should be decent crowds for the Browns and Raiders.  Ugh, Browns fans.

(10-29-2018, 08:01 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: 2026 showdown between Mike Brown and the city of Cincinnati will be epic, a new stadium will be on the table for the taxpayers to pay for....Again, and get fleeced.....Again. Not happening this time....Goodbye Bengals. HELLO XFL FRANCHISE!

He'd be 91 at that point.  I don't even want to think about it.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 05:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The fans aren't stupid, they can see what's coming.

What do you mean what's coming?

They've already seen what is.

Can't beat Pittsburgh. Can't win Sunday night games. Haven't beaten a team that is above .500.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 08:23 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: What do you mean what's coming?

They've already seen what is.

Can't beat Pittsburgh. Can't win Sunday night games. Haven't beaten a team that is above .500.

But...but...running a football team is hard.

[Image: espnw_a_dawna_cr_600x400.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 03:34 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah I get attendance has been down league wide to a point, but it isnt good to have 20k empty seats in a 65k stadium. So it goes beyond that for reasoning.

I think there were more Packer fans in attendance in Los Angeles than there were Bengals fans at a home game here, and it's pathetic. It's nothing new either, and I believe if we were undefeated, it still wouldn't be full. We have probably the most unappreciative fans in the nation, and in a way, they remind me of Marvin; the dumb excuses are endless. One such excuse would be the old "but we're a small market team." That doesn't fly, the NFL uses a 75 mile radius to determine primary and secondary markets, and that puts us squarely in the middle of fanbases, actually slightly ahead of Baltimore and Pittsburgh who don't seem to have attendance problems. Only Cleveland has a bigger market in the our division. Green Bay is a smaller market, a worse record, and they don't have that problem. That doesn't mean I don't think we have coaching problems, I do. I have been wanting Marvin out for years, but even there fans don't agree; and point to the team and coach's record before Marvin got here. I don't care about that, I remember us being in 2 Super Bowls before him; and zero playoff wins in the many years with him, but that doesn't mean the fans shouldn't support what are essentially young kids out on the field, crowd support means a lot to them. Check out attached for market size breakdown:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/wt1sr/list_of_nfl_teams_by_media_market_size/?ref=share&ref_source=link
Reply/Quote