Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attendance at PBS
(10-31-2018, 07:59 AM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Question? What top player or who do all of you feel our Bengals should have picked up at the trade deadline??? Think about how you would answer this question as I am with you on thinking they should have make an effort to at least get a tightend, and a linebacker.But who is a worthy dude that would be an immediate upgrade?????? ThumbsUp

Huh?? 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 06:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: $25?  Wow, you really haven't purchased a ticket to a sporting event in the past 30 years have you? 

BINGO!  That's what I'm trying to say Nately!

The last game I went to and paid for myself, if memory serves me, was probably a Reds game in 1981 and I believe, not positive, was the Steelers home game at Riverfront in October of 1981, right before I moved to Florida.

The most I paid was for game #5 of 1975 WS and game #1 of 1976 WS but I have no clue how much they were.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 06:12 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: BINGO!  That's what I'm trying to say Nately!

The last game I went to and paid for myself, if memory serves me, was probably a Reds game in 1981 and I believe, not positive, was the Steelers home game at Riverfront in October of 1981, right before I moved to Florida.

The most I paid was for game #5 of 1975 WS and game #1 of 1976 WS but I have no clue how much they were.

Do I want to know the sordid details of how you get other people to pay your sporting bills for you?  Dare we delve?!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Stay on topic, please. And leave out the political aspects. We have appropriate forums for that. Thank you.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 06:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do I want to know the sordid details of how you get other people to pay your sporting bills for you?  Dare we delve?!

PM sent.
Reply/Quote
Back on topic, the reality is that the Bengals are never going to regularly sell out unless one of the following happens...

1.Mike Brown dies and Katie sells the team. New ownership would have some good will from the fan base for awhile, but if they don't win a playoff game in 5-6 years, attendance will be right back where it was.

2.Mike Brown dies and Katie fires Marvin and hires a GM from outside the organization. This would probably go similarly to new ownership, but I expect it will only take 3-4 years without a playoff win for attendance to plummet.

3.The Brown family or new ownership moves the team. The club would likely do well in a new market for awhile.

4.Mike Brown hires a GM from outside the organization and steps away from football operations, entirely. This would buy the team maybe a year or two, but any struggles would be immediately placed on MB and people would say the GM is just a figurehead.

5.The team wins the Super Bowl. This would be highly unlikely to happen. Even if the team is stacked with talent and well coached, the Bengals will continue to be an easy target for screw jobs by the refs so long as they struggle for fan support and ticket sales. It's basically a self-perpetuating cycle. The only way this happens without one of the other four happening is if the team is completely loaded and can just steamroll everybody.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:30 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I stopped contributing to ALL 3 sports after the 80s strikes.

No you didn't.  You paid for the Sunday Ticket package from Direct TV until just last year

(11-06-2017, 01:44 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote:   Once the foolishness started with the anthem, I cancelled my DTV Ticket, but they offered it for free instead.  
Reply/Quote
I'll be at the game against the Saints! Attendance +2.
Reply/Quote
Something that I don't believe has been mentioned (apologies if I missed it) in the reasons for the lower attendance is PBS itself.

This is the 19th season of football at PBS, which in 21st century terms, means that it is firmly in stadium middle age. Though a vast improvement over what we had at Riverfront, it pales in comparison to the modern palaces being built these days. It just can't compete in appearance or amenities compared with Jerry World, Atlanta's Mercedes Benz stadium or even Lucas Oil.

Now, I'm not suggesting that's the main reason anyone would stay away. Rather, I believe it's one of the reasons. Were in an age when you can view a game at home in high def with surround sound, on a comfy couch, and with a refrigerator and bathroom mere steps away. So, you'd better have a venue that will lure people away from all of that. And, that just aint PBS in 2018.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 10:47 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Something that I don't believe has been mentioned (apologies if I missed it) in the reasons for the lower attendance is PBS itself.

This is the 19th season of football at PBS, which in 21st century terms, means that it is firmly in stadium middle age. Though a vast improvement over what we had at Riverfront, it pales in comparison to the modern palaces being built these days. It just can't compete in appearance or amenities compared with Jerry World, Atlanta's Mercedes Benz stadium or even Lucas Oil.

Now, I'm not suggesting that's the main reason anyone would stay away. Rather, I believe it's one of the reasons. Were in an age when you can view a game at home in high def with surround sound, on a comfy couch, and with a refrigerator and bathroom mere steps away. So, you'd better have a venue that will lure people away from all of that. And, that just aint PBS in 2018.

You forgot to mention you can get a case of beer + snacks for what you would pay for 3 beers at the stadium.

Reply/Quote
So we've all read on this board 100s of posts saying don't go to the games and you'll force MB to make a change.

I'm sure there are many who say in person to their friends, neighbors, co-workers, and anyone else who will listen.

Inevitably SOME of those who hear that message won't go, so that has to account for some of the numbers. Obviously not all of them.

Now I'm not saying that those actions are wise, at it does hurt the ability to have a home field advantage, but they do happen.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:41 PM)Whatever Wrote: So you contribute site traffic which the Bengals use to sell advertising.

Because those McDonald's game pounder burgers are so tempting that whenever I see that commercial I immediately jump in the car, go buy a  burger , get sick then buy health insurance from that insurance company ad..  Salmonella is my preferred method of supporting the Bengals!
IDK.. Perhaps just buying a hat would be cheaper and slightly less painful. I'll have to check with my accountant. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 01:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No you didn't.  You paid for the Sunday Ticket package from Direct TV until just last year

I kindly asked you NOT to respond to my posts.

My son was living here until he got married in May 2018.  He is an Eagles fan and wanted to watch every game, so he agreed to pay for it.  I told him I was cancelling after the Anthem foolishness, and DTV offered it for free.  
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 12:39 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I kindly asked you NOT to respond to my posts.

Just kindly place me on your "ignore list".  That is what it is there for.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 02:44 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Wonder if the brown family would move the team to London?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the money was right you know he would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote