Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Auden Tate building on from last year
(08-21-2020, 08:55 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He’s from LSU so he must be an all world talent Ninja

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've been quietly pulling for Tate, ever since we drafted him.  For all of the criticism he gets for his lack of blazing speed, I admire the way he worked his tail off last year, in spite of playing on a historically bad team.  The fact that he's getting good words from the Coach this year in camp, comes at no surprise to me.  

He may never be a marquise player, or light up the fantasy stat sheets, and that's alright with me.  What I do believe is that he will prove to be a valuable role player in the Bengals evolving offense.

Couldn't agree more Sunset.

A lot of guys get way to hung up on speed. If you take a good look at the top WR's of all time a good bit of them are not world class sprinters. It's a lot more than just speed.

I doubt Tate is ever the leader on the stats board. But I do believe, like you said, he can play an important role in our offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There's still room in this league for WRs that can identify
Where the 1st down marker is and use their body to box out defenders
And keep the chains moving.
It's totally irrelavant that Tate got playing time last year cause if injuries
Why ...cause its 2020 not 2019..
He's a prime example of how with hard work and preparation you can achieve
Reply/Quote
Just watched one of Tate's catches. Was going against WJ3 and it was a perfect back shoulder throw where Auden had
to flip around in the air and make an amazing catch cause the coverage was so good. Made me feel good all the way
around, not just with the Offense of Burrow and Tate but with WJ3.

Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 08:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm firmly of the belief that sure hands, crisp routes, and attacking the ball in the air are all more important than speed.

Wes Welker ran a 4.65
Anquan Boldin ran a 4.72
Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63
Jerry Rice ran a 4.71
Cris Carter ran a 4.63

Even Chad Johnson ran a 4.57

They had good hands, ran great routes, and attacked the ball.

Heck, Tony Gonzalez and Jason Witten were legitimately the slowest people on the field at the ends of their careers, but they kept racking off good seasons because they ran their routes well. A well run route can get more separation than simple speed.

Heck, DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.57 at the Combine.

Even Tyler Boyd ran a 4.58 at the Combine, but he's had more 1,000 yard receiving seasons than that Top 5 40 time list combined (they have 0).

As long as you're not a snail, I honestly believe that speed isn't even in the Top 3 of most important things for a WR.

True. As shaky of a basis of hope it is, we just have to hope they (mostly Green) stays healthy so this offense actually has a chance of being good.

Well, Rice running 4.71 is a myth.  Even then, we're talking 5 guys in like a 40 year span that had great careers running 4.60+.  You can't make exceptions into the rules.

You don't have to a burner, but have to be able to keep the defense honest, not just for your own production, but for the sake of the entire offense.

While I'm glad Tate had a good day today, he beat Tony Brown and LeShaun Sims for those TD's.  Those guys aren't NFL starter quality.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 10:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: Well, Rice running 4.71 is a myth.  Even then, we're talking 5 guys in like a 40 year span that had great careers running 4.60+.  You can't make exceptions into the rules.

You don't have to a burner, but have to be able to keep the defense honest, not just for your own production, but for the sake of the entire offense.

While I'm glad Tate had a good day today, he beat Tony Brown and LeShaun Sims for those TD's.  Those guys aren't NFL starter quality.  

When Auden Tate lines up the 4 receiver sets this year trust me he won't be facing other defenses 1 and 2's CBs.
He will be covered by other teams " Tony Browns and LeShaun Sims"
Let's give the guy some credit for going out and proving he belongs 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 10:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just watched one of Tate's catches. Was going against WJ3 and it was a perfect back shoulder throw where Auden had
to flip around in the air and make an amazing catch cause the coverage was so good. Made me feel good all the way
around, not just with the Offense of Burrow and Tate but with WJ3.

Cool

Link? Was it on twitter or something? I’m missing out!!! Haha
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 12:47 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Link? Was it on twitter or something? I’m missing out!!! Haha

https://youtu.be/Pgx9uaq3XO0

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 12:10 AM)impactplaya Wrote: When Auden Tate lines up the 4 receiver sets this year trust me he won't be facing other defenses 1 and 2's CBs.
He will be covered by other teams " Tony Browns and LeShaun Sims"
Let's give the guy some credit for going out and proving he belongs 

Defenses don't necessarily move CB's around to match up with specific receivers.  Often, where you line up determines who's covering you.  Plus Sims and Brown are not #4 CB's on good teams.  In fact, they are probably our #5 and 6.  

I'm glad he made some plays and he belongs on the roster, but he's been quiet to this point in camp and Thomas has been getting more pub than Tate.  I'll give him credit for making those plays, but he did them against 3rd team CB's.  Lots of guys look like world beaters when they're going up against bubble players.  We need to see him have more of those grabs like he had against WJIII.
Reply/Quote
The Key for Tate is how well can he block? If we're going to play 4 Wrs then a TE is coming off the Field.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 11:47 AM)Whatever Wrote: Defenses don't necessarily move CB's around to match up with specific receivers.  Often, where you line up determines who's covering you.  Plus Sims and Brown are not #4 CB's on good teams.  In fact, they are probably our #5 and 6.  

I'm glad he made some plays and he belongs on the roster, but he's been quiet to this point in camp and Thomas has been getting more pub than Tate.  I'll give him credit for making those plays, but he did them against 3rd team CB's.  Lots of guys look like world beaters when they're going up against bubble players.  We need to see him have more of those grabs like he had against WJIII.

Tate was making grabs vs #2's last year 
Not all of his 40 catches were vs "bubble" players last year 
He bailed out garbage QBing last year with some of those catches 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 12:47 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Link? Was it on twitter or something? I’m missing out!!! Haha

It was on the twitter link on the front page here. But I think Nicomo gave you a link below.

Amazing play by Tate, perfect coverage from WJ3, perfect throw from Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 11:47 AM)Whatever Wrote: Defenses don't necessarily move CB's around to match up with specific receivers.  Often, where you line up determines who's covering you.  Plus Sims and Brown are not #4 CB's on good teams.  In fact, they are probably our #5 and 6.  

Didn't he make those circus catches yesterday against WJ3 and Bates? Those are top cover guys when they are playing Man.

(08-22-2020, 12:05 PM)J24 Wrote: The Key for Tate is how well can he block? If we're going to play 4 Wrs then a TE is coming off the Field.

Simmons has praised Auden's blocking, him and Stanley Morgan. If Simmons likes you, you are a good blocker.
Reply/Quote
Auden Tate can be a serious matchup problem.

WR's don't always have to win on speed. Similar to how TE's are used when split out, that's how Tate can be used. Too big and stoing for corners, and too quick for linebackers, this is how he can thrive.

He's probably one of my favorite guys on this roster. Dude is tough as nails, and from all accounts, has worked his tail off.

I really hope we can figure out a way to utilize him.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 07:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Auden Tate can be a serious matchup problem.  

WR's don't always have to win on speed.  Similar to how TE's are used when split out, that's how Tate can thrive.  Too big and string for corners, and too quick for linebackers, this is how he can thrive.

He's probably one of my favorite guys on this roster.  Dude is tough as nails, and from all accounts, has worked his tail off.

Agreed, don't want him starting, need AJ, Boyd and Ross out there most of the time but need to rotate him in.

Sure looks like he is working his tail off as you say Wes.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 07:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Auden Tate can be a serious matchup problem.  

WR's don't always have to win on speed.  Similar to how TE's are used when split out, that's how Tate can be used.  Too big and stoing for corners, and too quick for linebackers, this is how he can thrive.

He's probably one of my favorite guys on this roster.  Dude is tough as nails, and from all accounts, has worked his tail off.

Tate will be a matchup problem. How many other teams can boast they have a WR of his dimensions and ability?

Yeah theres some.but its not like other teams cb's 
And lb'ers go up against a Auden Tate type on the Thursday
Scout team.
Lets use the Browns for example. Week 2. 
If the Bengals go 4 WR how do the Browns counter 
AJ Green..Denzel Ward
Tyler Boyd...Greedy Williams ?
Tee Higgins/ John  Ross...Terrance Mitchell?
AUDEN TATE ????  MJ Stewart/ AJ Green (OSU)

Winning football is all about creating matchup issues 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 06:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only reason he played last year was because of injuries.

With the return of Green and the addition of Higgins I don't think we will see him much if everyone stays healthy. But since Green and Ross are so fragile he could get a good bit of playing time.

Depth is important.
I disagree

Auden would eventually made his way to the game
Reply/Quote
As I have contended for the entire off season, Tate is a quality WR that could be a top 3 WR on a lot of teams. I think he actually plays more than people are expecting. Higgins will probably have some growing pains early as rookie WR's have been very hit or miss lately. Often people think about the guys like a Terry McLauren who excel out the gate but there are far more rookies that struggle year 1, or even more like DeVante Parker, than there are success stories early on.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 09:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: As I have contended for the entire off season, Tate is a quality WR that could be a top 3 WR on a lot of teams. I think he actually plays more than people are expecting. Higgins will probably have some growing pains early as rookie WR's have been very hit or miss lately. Often people think about the guys like a Terry McLauren who excel out the gate but there are far more rookies that struggle year 1, or even more like DeVante Parker, than there are success stories early on.

I thought DeVante Parker was going to be a stud right out of the gate, I was wrong.
Reply/Quote
This offense could go into some serious empty
Backfield sets in a hurry up mode and do.some
Damage with AJ Ross Boyd Higgie Baby And Tate
Reply/Quote