Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin in July
Geoff Hobson
@GeoffHobsonCin
DC Austin says No. 1 priority to improve is run defense. Also says one goal is to be the best tackling team in the league

That tweet was from over the summer. If run D and better tackling were his top 2 priorities I have to ask, has he failed to live up to expectations so far. Yes we won today and it was nice to see this team come out the second half with some pride and fight in them but something has got to give. This D is dragging this team down. This offense is not going to be able to score 25+ points a game. At what point do you pull the trigger and make a change at DC when your winning, if you even make a change at all. There is no way this D can stand up against any team in the playoffs. Do you make a change during the bye if this continues, or do you just hope they get better and go into every game knowing your going to have to put up 25+ points to have a chance.
Reply/Quote
The D is the reason we won this game.
Reply/Quote
Someone on every fanboard in the NFL this year (with the possible exception of the Browns) has posted the same thing. Defenses are getting lit up this year. It's not just us. Still, I appreciate your point.

Give our D credit though, with the exception of the Carolina game they've made plays when they needed to that allowed the offense to win the game, or in today's case, they won the game pretty much on their own.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree D's are getting lit up this year but ours is not the result of some rule changes, bad calls our way etc. we can't even do the basics. Yes the D won the game today, a game they were losing. And yes we are ranked 2nd in the AFC and 3rd in the NFL overall but this team just dosent have that feel to it like it should. Does anyone think this team will really do any damage in the playoffs with this defense? I simply asked if Austin has lived up to not just ours but his own expectations and I think it's an obvious no. So what do you do
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2018, 10:45 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Geoff Hobson
@GeoffHobsonCin
DC Austin says No. 1 priority to improve is run defense. Also says one goal is to be the best tackling team in the league

That tweet was from over the summer. If run D and better tackling were his top 2 priorities I have to ask, has he failed to live up to expectations so far. Yes we won today and it was nice to see this team come out the second half with some pride and fight in them but something has got to give. This D is dragging this team down. This offense is not going to be able to score 25+ points a game. At what point do you pull the trigger and make a change at DC when your winning, if you even make a change at all. There is no way this D can stand up against any team in the playoffs. Do you make a change during the bye if this continues, or do you just hope they get better and go into every game knowing your going to have to put up 25+ points to have a chance.

We gave up 10 points today on D nothing to see here move along. 
Reply/Quote
No we do not. I'm not a fan of his, however we are 4-1 and to fire him could possibly upset the chemistry of this team. If we we're 1-4 then yes. This D came alive about halfway through the 3rd quarter, let's see if they can build on it.
Reply/Quote
Austin isn't getting fired this season. It's possible during the off season if they just tank the rest of the way ,but I don't see that happening. 
Also keep in mind that this D has been with basically the same schemes since Zimmer arrived and now there's some new blood in the D..
I just have a hunch that once they begin to gel they'll be a lot better as the season goes on and the defensive fireworks today may have been the spark that ignites them to be the defense we've been waiting to erupt. BOOM BOOM..   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Today the Bengals D

Gave up 10 points
Special teams allowed 7
Bengals D scored 14 points the offense scored 13.

I'm hoping something clicked.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 01:21 AM)Brimey Wrote: Today the Bengals D

Gave up 10 points
Special teams allowed 7
Bengals D scored 14 points the offense scored 13.

I'm hoping something clicked.

And today was the first game we gave up less than 300 yards total offense. Nothing to write home about but it's a start. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Usually a good defense gets good stats, a great defense wins you games. Thank you Defense.
Reply/Quote
I noticed that our corners played much better this game. We still need help at LB.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:53 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I noticed that our corners played much better this game. We still need help at LB.

Pass coverage becomes a whole lot easier when your safeties aren't worrying about run support.
Reply/Quote
I think the Defense will come around. By the end of the season, they will be one of the better units & ready to roll through the playoffs.

PS ... KC ‘s defense is worse than ours.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
You only fire a DC five games into the season, when you are 4-1 if you are sabotaging the rest of the season...
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:53 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I noticed that our corners played much better this game. We still need help at LB.

Sad, but true.  The only LB that is able to cover anyone is Vigil.  Evans played some and had solid coverage on one play I saw and I think he will continue to develop.

I am not trying to be a dick, but the only LB out there slower than Preston Brown was Burfict.  I hope that changes, but I am not very optimistic.  

I honestly believe Burfict is still a huge help because of his ability to diagnose plays, so I would much rather see Burfict at MIKE, Evans at WILL, and VIGIL at SAM.

I guess Burfict will have to be out there in nickel, and most likely with Vigil, but we sure have a need for an instinctual, fast LB that can play both MIKE and nickel.  

I would put that as priority #1 for the defense right now.  
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sad, but true.  The only LB that is able to cover anyone is Vigil.  Evans played some and had solid coverage on one play I saw and I think he will continue to develop.

I am not trying to be a dick, but the only LB out there slower than Preston Brown was Burfict.  I hope that changes, but I am not very optimistic.  

I honestly believe Burfict is still a huge help because of his ability to diagnose plays, so I would much rather see Burfict at MIKE, Evans at WILL, and VIGIL at SAM.

I guess Burfict will have to be out there in nickel, and most likely with Vigil, but we sure have a need for an instinctual, fast LB that can play both MIKE and nickel.  

I would put that as priority #1 for the defense right now.  

We could trade Ross for Khalil Mack.  Rock On Trubusky needs a #1 receiver that can help him score to win games. 
Reply/Quote

This totally.   I mean Miami is no offensive juggernaut but the DBs played much better, and we got a lot of pressure on Miami in the 2nd half - particularly the 4th quarter.

But it was against a team down their starting tackle - and I think some other O linemen.  As a team Miami had a lot of players out with injuries.

Our linebackers are toast.
Reply/Quote