Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin says we can’t beat ourselves, more from his presser
Austin likes No. 55. WILL linebacker Vontaze Burfict.

"The guy's a really good player, that's the No. 1 thing," Austin said. "There'll be changes, but not wholesale changes. I think he can adapt to a lot of things. I'm looking forward to working with him."

Austin is also looking forward to working with most of Guenther's coaches. Linebackers coach Jim Haslett, a
fellow Pittsburger, is back. So is defensive line coach Jacob Burney and safeties coach Robert Livingston.

"I think it's one of the interesting things," Austin said when asked about coaches already signed up. "There are some really good coaches there. I like to hear their ideas and see what they think about my ideas. It's always good to expand the pallet. You don't want to always eat Chicken McNuggets. That can only help your team and give you more options."

At the moment, there's only one item on the menu.

"As long as we don't beat ourselves," he said. "I'll be happy with what we put on the field."

http://bengals.com/news/article-1/Austins-first-rule-cant-beat-ourselves/7ba3f0e5-0e89-4070-afc7-6e1f53a1ab17

I like what I’m hearing
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:21 PM)Trademark Wrote: Austin likes No. 55. WILL linebacker Vontaze Burfict.

"The guy's a really good player, that's the No. 1 thing," Austin said. "There'll be changes, but not wholesale changes. I think he can adapt to a lot of things. I'm looking forward to working with him."

Austin is also looking forward to working with most of Guenther's coaches. Linebackers coach Jim Haslett, a
fellow Pittsburger, is back. So is defensive line coach Jacob Burney and safeties coach Robert Livingston.

"I think it's one of the interesting things," Austin said when asked about coaches already signed up. "There are some really good coaches there. I like to hear their ideas and see what they think about my ideas. It's always good to expand the pallet. You don't want to always eat Chicken McNuggets. That can only help your team and give you more options."

"As long as we don't beat ourselves," he said. "I'll be happy with what we put on the field."

http://bengals.com/news/article-1/Austins-first-rule-cant-beat-ourselves/7ba3f0e5-0e89-4070-afc7-6e1f53a1ab17

I like what I’m hearing

I wish we would hear him mention something about being aggressive, but from reading the Bengals.com article on Austin, he doesn't believe in an aggressive scheme.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I picked up the lack of commitment to being aggressive too. Here we go again with no pressure and pillow soft coverage...
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wish we would hear him mention something about being aggressive, but from reading the Bengals.com article on Austin, he doesn't believe in an aggressive scheme.

No, but it sounds like him and his staff have some sort of background together so maybe Marv will let them do their job? Marv needs to step back a little more this year with the purge. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:21 PM)Trademark Wrote: You don't want to always eat Chicken McNuggets. 

I gotta think that Mike, being a Wendy's guy, is NOT going to like this analogy. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
People complaining about the lack of aggressiveness, but Austin does address THIS particular area we all recognize as a point of emphasis for the Bengals (or lack thereof):
Quote: I like our guys to play disciplined
Reply/Quote
I am as opposed to the Marv re-hire as anyone but I am willing to see what this new DC actually does with the defense.

Mike Brown needs to sign at least one high quality- in his prime- free agent for the first time. Needs to be a linebacker, safety or an o-lineman with a center being the best investment.

The D would really benefit from a high quality linebacker or ball hawking defensive QB safety.

Let's see what they do. The new DC deserves a genuine chance.
Reply/Quote
Some more words of wisdom that I gotta admit, I wish more coaches would believe:
Quote:"There are going to be changes but not wholesale changes,” Austin said. “It’ going to be my system because that’s what I know. But nothing is going to be decided until I get in there and look at the players and see what their strengths and weakness are. You look at what our guys do well and try to build around that. Do they do it great? Do they fly around? That’s what’s important no matter what system you call it."

Of course, at this point in my Bengal fandom, the proof is in the pudding and while I like what I'm hearing from Austin, the fact remains I need to see it in action before I get too excited.
Reply/Quote
I like what i am hearing from Austin but i don't like Haslett being back.
Reply/Quote
If Teryl Austin said the Bengals’ defense can’t beat themselves it proves he has been paying attention!
Reply/Quote
I don’t trust anyone who willingly eats chicken McNuggets.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 04:16 PM)OB1 Wrote: I don’t trust anyone who willingly eats chicken McNuggets.

Then there is not a single person in th ewhole United States of America that you trust.

No sarcasm.

Yes, I fully believe that every single individual in the US of A has eaten chicken mcnuggest from McDonalds. And done so of their own volition.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 04:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Then there is not a single person in th ewhole United States of America that you trust.

No sarcasm.

Yes, I fully believe that every single individual in the US of A has eaten chicken mcnuggest from McDonalds. And done so of their own volition.

I tried a McNugget in 1983. That was the first and last time.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 04:19 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I tried a McNugget in 1983.  That was the first and last time.

Point proven.

Checkmate, atheists. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:21 PM)Trademark Wrote: Austin likes No. 55. WILL linebacker Vontaze Burfict.

I like what I’m hearing

Absolutely, my mother says it will make you go blind.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Seriously though and willing to give him a chance and think it is an ok hire with a chance for much more.

Time will tell and Austin is now on the watch list.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I like what I’m hearing

mmm...not me.  

Hey its only an interview I guess but hardly sabre rattling stuff.  

seems pretty passive in the article saying he does not blitz much or man press coverage.  That plus 'don't beat ourselves' is pretty much the bend , don't break philosophy in a nutshell. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 04:44 PM)sonofstat Wrote: mmm...not me.  

Hey its only an interview I guess but hardly sabre rattling stuff.  

seems pretty passive in the article saying he does not blitz much or man press coverage.  That plus 'don't beat ourselves' is pretty much the bend , don't break philosophy in a nutshell. 

Yeah I caught the "man press coverage" blurb and thought, oh no.... I'll give the guy a chance, but it sounds more of the same to me also...
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 04:20 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Absolutely, my mother says it will make you go blind.  

Anyone who can see is living proof that this is not true.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo only 1 masturbation joke so far? Man, are we slipping!
Reply/Quote